Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

Puff Cigar Discussion Forums (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/)
-   General Pipe Forum (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/general-pipe-forum/)
-   -   Blends You No Longer Enjoy (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/general-pipe-forum/283548-blends-you-no-longer-enjoy.html)

Piper 12-04-2019 08:17 PM

Blends You No Longer Enjoy

By sheer serendipity (sorry, I mean happy accident LOL), I happened to smoke three G.L. Pease blends almost one after the otheróHaddo's Delight, Key Largo and Navigator. All three had been jarred for at least a year and were in perfect condition. All three are either VaPers or Va/BurPers. And all three have a whiskey or brandy topping.

I used to enjoy blends that have a liquor topping, including not only these three GLP offerings but also navy-cut virginias. Now, I'm not so sure. These last three bowls have been almost nauseating. (Erik @ebnash, I now understand your reaction to latakia.) Of course, tastes can change over time. I don't enjoy aromatics as much as I used to either. But this surprised me.

G.L. Pease is one of the great tobacco blenders of our era and I like almost every other blend he's created. I'm not giving up on these blends just yet but they've definitely fallen to the bottom of my list.

What blends have fallen out of favor/flavor with you?

Madderduro 12-04-2019 11:53 PM

there's really only one that is just plain wretched to me and its capt black grape....horrible I tells ya

MarshWheeling 12-05-2019 12:28 AM

I once had to toss Peterson Connemara Black. My tongue felt like someone did a tap dance on it.

ebnash 12-05-2019 01:01 AM

In my relatively short time with Pipes, I’ve recently experienced this. Sir Walter Raleigh was the 1st tobacco that I actually enjoyed when I started with pipes.

Recently, I loaded a bowl from a 2 year old stash and it seemed sickly sweet to me. I couldn’t finish the bowl. I won’t toss it, because I think I’ll come back around, but it surprised me.

Sweet aromatics, on the other hand, I’ve never liked. Seems like every once in a while, I buy one (C&D Corn Cobb and a Button Nose) and hated it. Smelled amazing in the tin and two puffs in, it tasted like pure chemical to me.

Not sure I’ll ever come around to heavy Lat blends, though. The only blend I enjoy with Lat, is Edward G Robinson.

JohnBrody15 12-05-2019 01:47 AM

I had an experience with Golden Glow where for awhile, it was really good. Then I could no longer get anything out of it. The taste went straight to ash. It was from 2012, so maybe opening the tin, it only had limited time and somehow went bad? No matter what I did, dry time, different pipes, packing methods, smoke cadence, couldn't get it going.

Hickorynut 12-05-2019 08:50 PM

Ashton Guilty Pleasure is my pick for "don't care for". I'll add some of the codger blends dont set well either, like Half and Half.......

Sent from: Bubba's Shine Palace...BYOJ...

OneStrangeOne 12-05-2019 11:25 PM

C&Dís Briar Fox is one that I liked quite a bit when I first started smoking it, the last couple of times Iíve tried it, it was just meh at best.
Thereís several blends that Iíll smoke quite a bit of and then move away from it for a while. A lot of times when I come back to one itís like discovering it all over again.

404: NAME NOT FOUND 12-06-2019 02:17 PM

I always used to smoke American Club pipe tobacco, though once I tried the premium blends I need to doctor up the bulk stuff before I use it. Shame, it was dirt cheap, but I guess that's why.

msmith1986 12-07-2019 11:00 PM

I still enjoy aro's periodically, but many just sit in darkness mostly these days.
This topic reminds me I need to order some more Maltese Falcon. [emoji6][emoji106]

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

ebnash 12-09-2019 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 404: NAME NOT FOUND (Post 5692468)
I always used to smoke American Club pipe tobacco, though once I tried the premium blends I need to doctor up the bulk stuff before I use it. Shame, it was dirt cheap, but I guess that's why.

Ignorance is bliss... the reason I don’t watch the news. I’d rather be ignorant than know all the terrible things going on.