Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

Puff Cigar Discussion Forums (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/)
-   General Pipe Forum (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/general-pipe-forum/)
-   -   Homemade Balkan Sorbanie Original Mixture? (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/general-pipe-forum/55091-homemade-balkan-sorbanie-original-mixture.html)

marcovgv 03-25-2009 01:21 PM

Re: Homemade Balkan Sorbanie Original Mixture?

Well I am going to try this recipe out. I already have tins of the Full Virgina flake, Oriental and Red Ribbon. I just ordered the Mcconnel Syrian, Pipeworks Black Cavendish and Yenidje. I am going to be mixing up quite a bit as I do not smoke the red ribbon or FVF that much anymore. Let me know if you guys want a sample of the stuff i blend up.

I am going to experiment with some of the mixture and press it in to a cake.. see what it dose for it under preasure and time.

Did the bs original mixture contain deer tungue? i read that somewhere I think....

sounds7 03-25-2009 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcovgv (Post 2597795)
Well I am going to try this recipe out. I already have tins of the Full Virgina flake, Oriental and Red Ribbon. I just ordered the Mcconnel Syrian, Pipeworks Black Cavendish and Yenidje. I am going to be mixing up quite a bit as I do not smoke the red ribbon or FVF that much anymore. Let me know if you guys want a sample of the stuff i blend up.

I am going to experiment with some of the mixture and press it in to a cake.. see what it dose for it under preasure and time.

Did the bs original mixture contain deer tungue? i read that somewhere I think....

I have not read anywhere that it used deer tongue but that does not mean it didn't. if you use it though use it in moderation as Deer Tongue gives it a slightly tart taste You dont want it to overpower the mixture.
By the way I enjoy this blend the most in my Dunhill shell straight billiard that has been dedicated strickly to Sobranie and like Balkans. I really do think the pipe makes a difference just like sipping fine wine from a certain glass gives the flavor more character.

By the way put me down for a pressed sample of yours when your done

Mad Hatter 03-25-2009 07:16 PM

I might be down for a sample trade on that too Marco

plexiprs 03-25-2009 10:02 PM

I love it when everyone gets out their Mad Scientist tobacco blending kit and starts up. I hope this thread stays up to date! I'm ordering some blending stock even as I type this reply!

morefifemusicanyone 03-25-2009 10:24 PM

I totally want to try too! Is the only place to order Red Ribbon from McCrannie's? I would like to order all my baccy in one place.

At any rate, I would be down for trading for a sample when its done. :D

-Tyler

marcovgv 03-25-2009 10:46 PM

yeah mccranies is the only place I know of.

its great stuff even by itself.

sounds7 03-28-2009 08:28 PM

Just to update I got in the McConnells Pure Latakia from Cupojoes.com and it is suitable for this recipe. Very little difference between the MCConnells and the Wellauer's Syrian Latakia. You may safely substitute it in the recipe but I would not substitute the Mccranies Red ribbon. That is the best red virginia I have tasted and it works so well in this recipe!

marcovgv 03-29-2009 01:01 PM

I am still waiting for the latakia tin to arrive

marcovgv 03-30-2009 01:58 PM

anybody have a measurement as to the amount of latakia to add. I dont have a reference to go off of.

sounds7 04-01-2009 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcovgv (Post 2600198)
anybody have a measurement as to the amount of latakia to add. I dont have a reference to go off of.

I filled it in by taste actually. I didn't get an actual measurement of how much I used. I concentrated on flavor and compared it to the flavor Balkan Sobrane I had on hand. The key is to find the right interplay between the Virginias and the Latakia. Beware though if you like the Syrian Latakia as much as I do you might use too much and that would make it more of an English than a Balkan. Not that an English with these ingredients would taste bad.:hat:

Here is my original post at tobaccoreviews.com
Quote:

Balkan Sobranie is an all time favorite that, once it had departed,set me off on a frantic quest to find a replacement. Sasieni, Macedonia Mixture, Odesa, and on and on. I tried the over priced ebay offerings of Vintage Sobranie mixtures and was delighted but it was aged so much that it dried out (So it wasnt as good as my first experiences with this great tobbaco mixture.
Here is what my journey eventually brought me to. I bended my own Balkan Sobrane Original Mixture with these 6 top of the line tobaccos:

Wellauers- Latakia .Which is true Syrian Latakia (The real thing)I had five tins sent from Tabac Rhein in Switzerland. Costly but nothing like buying Tins of Sobranie off ebay.

McCranies Red Ribbon (Red Virginia)

Samuel Gawith full Virginia Flake (Rubbed out well)

McCleland Oriental blending tobacco

Yenidge bulk- Purchased from Carole at Pipeworks and Wilke. She doesnt always have it in stock though.

Unflavored black Cavendish also bulk from "PW&W"

I haven't gotten the percentages down to a science but I started with equal portions of the virginia's, Orientals, and Yenidge. I added only a small portion of the cavendish (about 1/3 of what the other tobaccos were. I then flavored it in with the Syrian Latakia until it reached the smokiness I desired (I had some Sobranie on hand for comparison purposes). Note: It is easy to go overboard with the Syrian (The stuff is so delicious!)which would make this more of an english blend than a Balkan. It was very simalar to the Original Mixture only much fresher and fuller in taste than those acient Tins you will find on ebay. Aging will do wonders to this I'm sure.

I would be interested in hearing others reaction to this mixture.
Notice I said very similar and not exact. Infact more similar than any blender who has touted his tobacco as being like Sobranie, However I want to fine tune this recipe and I am hoping you experienced Sobranie smokers can help me do just that. No one is trying to make money off this, At least I am not. I just want my favorite smoke back as close as possible. The Deer Tongue idea has me curious.

But to give you a general idea how I blended in the Latakia I would say start with the same amount of Latakia as you use virginias and then if it is too week amp it up until it seems right in flavor. If anyone gets the exact measurement down please send it to me.

Also I would like Dear Tongue but it doesnt grow in the swampy soil I have here. Is it possible to trade for some? Let me know.