Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

Puff Cigar Discussion Forums (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/)
-   General Pipe Forum (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/general-pipe-forum/)
-   -   Homemade Balkan Sorbanie Original Mixture? (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/general-pipe-forum/55091-homemade-balkan-sorbanie-original-mixture.html)

American Psycho-Analyst 10-07-2007 06:42 PM

Homemade Balkan Sorbanie Original Mixture?

I've decided that, purely out curiosity, I would try to take several readily available blending tobaccos and see as to whether or not I could myself concoct a reasonable replacement for the sorely missed Balkan Sobranie Original Mixture. There is a recipe someone gave on TobaccoReviews.com for a homemade Sobranie mixture which consists of the following components:

Wellauer's Syrian Latakia
McCrannie's Red Ribbon
Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake
McClelland Oriental Blending Tobacco
Bulk Yenidje
Unflavored bulk black cavendish.

According to the recipe, Yenidje, Virginias and orientals were blended in equal proportions with a smidgit of the unflavored black cavendish added last. Syrian latakia was sprinkled in to taste.

Now, because Wellauer's Syrian Latakia is not a tobacco I now how to get, I'm thinking about simply using McClelland's blending (Cyprian) latakia. Here arises my first question: will using a Cyrprian latakia in lieu of a Syrian latakia severely depress the taste of the overall blend?

Second, I don't see the point in getting two different Virginia flakes. Additionally, Red Ribbon is not widely available. Do you guys think that Gawith's Full Virginia Flake is thus the best place to go to secure the Virginia base for this homemade Sobranie?

Concerning Yenidje, I have a feeling that, when this recipe was created, the Grand Oriental's line from McClelland was not yet created. Consequently, I plan on using McClelland Yenidje Supreme as the Yenidje component for this blend. Comments?

Concerning the cavendish, did original Sobranie have cavendish???

Does anyone here have any recipe recommendations for blending a homemade Sobranie? Who knows, we must just get lucky here blending a 'CS Balkan'.

mr.c 10-07-2007 06:53 PM

Re: Homemade Balkan Sorbanie Original Mixture?

lots of companies that tin tobacco have tried this. balkan saseni , c&d engine 99 might want to grab a tin and add to it ?

JohnnyFlake 10-07-2007 07:30 PM

I would not use Cyprian Latakia, the taste is completely different than Syrian Latakia. McClelland's, Rose of Latakia, is readily available and it is straight, pure Syrian Latakia.

I have also heard of a mixture that is said to be close to Balkan Sobranie, in taste. I have never tried it, so I cannot comment about it. It's a very simple mixture, using one pouch of Balkan Sasieni (50g), adding 10g of Yenidje and 10g of Syrian Latakia. Mix thoroughly, and then let rest for a week or two. I've been told by several people that the results is very similar to the Original Balkan Sobranie.

If anyone tries this, I'd be very interested in hearing what you think of the results! I do not have all the needed tobaccos, and I do not plan on buying any more tobacco, for a good long time. If I did have them, I would have tried it right away.

Johnny

American Psycho-Analyst 10-07-2007 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake (Post 1208970)
I would not use Cyprian Latakia, the taste is completely different than Syrian Latakia. McClelland's, Rose of Latakia, is readily available and it is straight, pure Syrian Latakia.

I have also heard of a mixture that is said to be close to Balkan Sobranie, in taste. I have never tried it, so I cannot comment about it. It's a very simple mixture, using one pouch of Balkan Sasieni (50g), adding 10g of Yenidje and 10g of Syrian Latakia. Mix thoroughly, and then let rest for a week or two. I've been told by several people that the results is very similar to the Original Balkan Sobranie.

If anyone tries this, I'd be very interested in hearing what you think of the results! I do not have all the needed tobaccos, and I do not plan on buying any more tobacco, for a good long time. If I did have them, I would have tried it right away.
Johnny

I'll do this tomorrow. After letting it rest in a baggie for a week or so, I'll compare it head-to-head with the Sobranie that I have available. I'm also wondering what Nightcap might taste like with a Yenidje infusion?

sounds7 03-24-2009 10:21 PM

I came across your website and noticed someone is trying the recipe I put up on tobaccoreviews.com for the homemade Sobrane.

I ordered my 5 100gr Tins of the syrian latakia from a tobacconist in Switzerland. If you google the tobacco he should come up. It is very good quality. As for trying to alter the recipe, if you alter it in any way it may very well yield different and less desirable results than the recipe I discovered. If you know your tobaccos though you may discover something that works even better in which case i ask that you share the results with me at [email protected]

Thanks to all and happy smoking

Mad Hatter 03-24-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sounds7 (Post 2597571)
I came across your website and noticed someone is trying the recipe I put up on tobaccoreviews.com for the homemade Sobrane.

I ordered my 5 100gr Tins of the syrian latakia from a tobacconist in Switzerland. If you google the tobacco he should come up. It is very good quality. As for trying to alter the recipe, if you alter it in any way it may very well yield different and less desirable results than the recipe I discovered. If you know your tobaccos though you may discover something that works even better in which case i ask that you share the results with me at [email protected]

Thanks to all and happy smoking

That's exactly what I thought when this thread first went around. To anyone who takes the time to read the thread McClelland Rose of Latakia isn't straight Syrian, its a VA/syrian blend. If you want straight syrian McConnells Pure Latakia is the only one I know of. Would the McConnells be compatible in your recipe Sounds? Also I read that C&D Odessa was a BS clone. Do you have an opinion on that? Thanks

sounds7 03-24-2009 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Hatter (Post 2597578)
That's exactly what I thought when this thread first went around. To anyone who takes the time to read the thread McClelland Rose of Latakia isn't straight Syrian, its a VA/syrian blend. If you want straight syrian McConnells Pure Latakia is the only one I know of. Would the McConnells be compatible in your recipe Sounds? Also I read that C&D Odessa was a BS clone. Do you have an opinion on that? Thanks

To be quite honest this recipe came about two years ago before there were other Syrian Latakia products like the McConells available. I purchased a rather large quantity of the Syrian from Switzerland and havent really needed to explore the recent additions like the McConnells. So I must first try it before I can give an honest comparison.

One rule I made when formulating this recipe is that I would use the finest tobaccos available as this is exactly what made the Balkan Sobrane so great. Spare no expense if you want a fine smoke.

For now please describe as best you can the McConnells pure Latakia, how is the aroma when you first open the can? Describe the taste if you smoke it pure. Thanks

PS I have C&D Odessa and its not even close. In fact I stopped trying these blends that boasted their similarities because they don't have one bit of Syrian leaf in it.

Mad Hatter 03-25-2009 12:00 AM

I figured the Odessa was probably a long shot from the mark. I was thinking it has perique in it too although I won't swear to it. I haven't smoked any of the McConnells but if you'd like a sample I can send it your way. I can't even remember if the tin was opened or not and to be honest about it, I have so little experience with syrian I wouldn't be able to tell good from bad.

sounds7 03-25-2009 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Hatter (Post 2597615)
I figured the Odessa was probably a long shot from the mark. I was thinking it has perique in it too although I won't swear to it. I haven't smoked any of the McConnells but if you'd like a sample I can send it your way. I can't even remember if the tin was opened or not and to be honest about it, I have so little experience with syrian I wouldn't be able to tell good from bad.

Thats O.K. I just ordered a Tin from "cup o Joes". If its close it is certainly more attainable than the swiss brand I purchased.

marcovgv 03-25-2009 11:42 AM

rose of latakia is not pure syrian latakia. I have some and its not even cloe to pure latakia

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake (Post 1208970)

Johnny