Vintage????????????????? - Page 2 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 Old 11-15-2019, 03:20 PM
Just monkeyin' around!

It's simple Econ101, supply & demand. If a 2015 box is deemed more desirable and there are fewer available than a 2018, then it's worth more. The market will decide how much more... or not!
TonyBrooklyn, Pag#11 and jmt8706 like this.

I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time. - Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 11-18-2019, 04:20 PM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pag#11 View Post
Especially someone just getting into the game and has no stock.
This is where I am, more or less. I stopped smoking about 20 years ago so what little stock I had then has grown "vintage" under fairly decent conditions. A few Cubans but mostly nons. I really never smoked many Cubans and definitely didn't have the palette experience I have now that I've started back up, so I'd have no issue paying a little more for something with some age on it just to see what I missed or figure out what aged stuff I like.

I did that with Opus X and found I liked them far more than the young ones, to the point where I won't be smoking any the "new" Opus until I've rested them for 3+ years. Night and day kind of stuff.

As I don't have many Cubans like that I can either buy old ones now or just be patient with what stock I am bringing in. Since I am patience challenged I am just the sort of guy these "vintage" sticks are aimed at.
TonyBrooklyn and Pag#11 like this.
post #13 of 14 Old 11-19-2019, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by norc47 View Post
This is where I am, more or less. I stopped smoking about 20 years ago so what little stock I had then has grown "vintage" under fairly decent conditions. A few Cubans but mostly nons. I really never smoked many Cubans and definitely didn't have the palette experience I have now that I've started back up, so I'd have no issue paying a little more for something with some age on it just to see what I missed or figure out what aged stuff I like.

I did that with Opus X and found I liked them far more than the young ones, to the point where I won't be smoking any the "new" Opus until I've rested them for 3+ years. Night and day kind of stuff.

As I don't have many Cubans like that I can either buy old ones now or just be patient with what stock I am bringing in. Since I am patience challenged I am just the sort of guy these "vintage" sticks are aimed at.
I beg to differ.
Buying something and aging it your self is one thing.
Buying something from a gray market source aged.
Is almost always a disappointment IMHO.
Remember your not buying aged stock from a tobacconist.
bpegler and Pag#11 like this.

"Dear Lord Thank you for your protection and your many signs along the way. Thank you for any good that I may have done, I'm so sorry about the bad."- Eli

post #14 of 14 Old 11-19-2019, 08:22 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBrooklyn View Post
I beg to differ.

Buying something and aging it your self is one thing.

Buying something from a gray market source aged.

Is almost always a disappointment IMHO.

Remember your not buying aged stock from a tobacconist.

I was going to say the same thing. I'd rather age them myself and be certain of the condition and keep the odds stacked in my favor.
On another note if I did have to buy vintage I would stick with a trusted seller many here have used.
Along time member once said " Best way to age cigars is buy alot more than you will smoke. If you can't do that don't smoke what you have".

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
TonyBrooklyn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page