Did i just ruin 250+ Cubans? - Page 2 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 Old 11-17-2019, 01:58 PM
Alpha Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidvegas View Post
It's your lucky day bro. I happen to run a small operation dedicated to the recycling of unwanted or perhaps ruined cigars. Address is in my profile. Just send those babies my way and I'll gladly dispose of them properly lol!!

Sent from The Cauldron Of Insanity
and your day got even luckier - i run a similar but much more noble operation. we will find truly loving homes for all of your ruined coobans. we will even accept high end and very old cigars.
TonyBrooklyn, UBC03 and Kidvegas like this.

"In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 11-18-2019, 09:16 AM
CAT WRANGLER

Got a PM from the OP. I usually don't do this but thought it necessary to the thread..

This is his quote

"Sorry, i smoke 25/35 cigars/cubans a week and add 8/10 boxes every month so even i'm kind of new (smoking since 201 to cigars i do kind of know how my D4's/Lusitanias/Churchills/etc should taste since i smoke them daily

I forgot to mention that i have different humidors and only the cigars from the mentioned humidor had these issues. The cubans i smoked this weekend from my other humidors were fine so no, its not palate issue or flue effected my taste.

I will keep my humidor shut the coming 2 weeks and try again. Hopefully they will be ok"

Sent from ... hey Jon, where's my damn sandwich
TonyBrooklyn and Bigjohn like this.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #13 of 26 Old 11-18-2019, 09:56 AM
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBC03 View Post
Got a PM from the OP. I usually don't do this but thought it necessary to the thread..

This is his quote

"Sorry, i smoke 25/35 cigars/cubans a week and add 8/10 boxes every month so even i'm kind of new (smoking since 201 to cigars i do kind of know how my D4's/Lusitanias/Churchills/etc should taste since i smoke them daily

I forgot to mention that i have different humidors and only the cigars from the mentioned humidor had these issues. The cubans i smoked this weekend from my other humidors were fine so no, its not palate issue or flue effected my taste.

I will keep my humidor shut the coming 2 weeks and try again. Hopefully they will be ok"

He must be the re incarnation of Sir Winston Churchill.
Maybe George Burns?

Perfecto Dave and Bigjohn like this.

"Dear Lord Thank you for your protection and your many signs along the way. Thank you for any good that I may have done, I'm so sorry about the bad."- Eli

post #14 of 26 Old 11-18-2019, 11:28 AM
H.R. Pufnstuf

The ghost of Richard Overton.......
TonyBrooklyn likes this.

....that's almost like flying on a plane with one wing. ~Cigary
post #15 of 26 Old 11-18-2019, 11:51 AM
Ihavemyeyesonyou!

Quote:
3.5 to 5 cigars put to the flame a day?
That's quite the habit. How does one let the palate relax and regenerate pushing that much smoke across?
Let's say you're awake a modest 16 hours a day. (8 hours sleep)
After breakfast and computer time in the morning and two more meals for the day I'll modestly subtract another 4 hours and bring us down to say 12 hrs of cigar time.
A very modest amount of time I'd say.........
12 divided by 3 isn't too bad....1 cigar every 4 hours
12 divided by 5 ??.....that's 1 cigar every 2.4 hours
Looking through the OP's choice of selection some of those would take me 2 hrs to smoke!
The numbers are hypothetical and based on pure speculation but I see a problem here.
Personally speaking I could not enjoy the actual act of engagement that much each and every day.
I do this hobby for a relaxing and personal enjoyment of "me" time.
Even if I were fully retired and had time ala carte I don't see any enjoyment at that level.
Just saying..........
TonyBrooklyn, Bigjohn and Ewood like this.

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried.
post #16 of 26 Old 11-18-2019, 12:45 PM
CAT WRANGLER

Please remember. The OP has no way of defending or explaining anything. So keep the comments instructive.

The man came with a genuine question asking for legitimate answers to legitimate questions. So keep the answers going and the opinions to a minimum.

Thanks,
Dino

Kidvegas and Wheels Up like this.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #17 of 26 Old 11-18-2019, 01:13 PM
Minister of Propaganda

OP: I know you can't respond, but here's what I'd do. Throw those puppies back in the humidor and don't worry about opening the door. If you've got a closet-sized setup, it's probably too large for Boveda packs, but figure out some way to regulate your RH without having to be hands-on multiple times a day. You'll never get them stable at the right RH if you're propping doors open and relying on timing the fresh air to get where you want. You need some system (and there are a dozen ways to do it) that will give you peace of mind when you aren't looking.

Once you nail that down, leave the cigars alone for a couple of weeks to let them settle down and see how they taste after some rest. If you want something you can smoke while the rest of your sizable stash is re-acclimating, get a tupper full of cigars (maybe several of them if you're really going through 100+ per month) with a few Boveda packs and smoke on those for a while.

Don't rush the process, and don't fret because your collection got off the planned RH for a bit. My experience has been that as long as you catch it and correct it quickly, cigars will come back from most "oops" moments. And 50%, though it's not my preference, is not going to kill your cigars. Especially if they only hit 50% RH for a day or two.
UBC03 likes this.

When drone technology advances, hands-free umbrellas are going to be incredible.
post #18 of 26 Old 11-18-2019, 02:48 PM
CAT WRANGLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfecto Dave View Post
3.5 to 5 cigars put to the flame a day?
That's quite the habit. How does one let the palate relax and regenerate pushing that much smoke across?
Let's say you're awake a modest 16 hours a day. (8 hours sleep)
After breakfast and computer time in the morning and two more meals for the day I'll modestly subtract another 4 hours and bring us down to say 12 hrs of cigar time.
A very modest amount of time I'd say.........
12 divided by 3 isn't too bad....1 cigar every 4 hours
12 divided by 5 ??.....that's 1 cigar every 2.4 hours
Looking through the OP's choice of selection some of those would take me 2 hrs to smoke!
The numbers are hypothetical and based on pure speculation but I see a problem here.
Personally speaking I could not enjoy the actual act of engagement that much each and every day.
I do this hobby for a relaxing and personal enjoyment of "me" time.
Even if I were fully retired and had time ala carte I don't see any enjoyment at that level.
Just saying..........
The OP thought he needed to explain how he got that number, so I'll pay his response he pmd me.. sounds logical. Not to me but to some a pack and a half of cigarettes isn't logical either.. lol .. plus he wanted to thanks yunz jaggoffs..

"Thanks for all the reply's. I will leave my humidor shut the coming weeks at a steady 63% and 22C. I use cigar heaven for humidification which always been able to keep things steady.

Some questioned my smoking habits/frequenty. Well, making assumptions is never wise so here is my daily smoking routine:

Wake up at 06:00 with coffee and smoke a 30min/45min cigar (partagas short/R&Y nr3/open junior for example). Breakfast at 09:00 with again a 30min/45min cigar. After lunch a 1 hour robusto or corona. After dinner a double corona or something in the 2 hour range. In the weekends i sometimes add a 5th in the late afternoon so thats 25/35 cigars a week So hope that clear things up.

Thanks again everyone for the avise received. Hope everthing works out."

Kidvegas and Wheels Up like this.

post #19 of 26 Old 11-18-2019, 03:41 PM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

As several others have posted, there is no way that leaving these at 50% for a week could have ruined them. Humidity just doesn't leave cigars that fast particularly stacked in a wooden humidor like that and it takes even longer for the oils to go. If they are indeed no smoking well, any of them, that must be up to some cause other than your attempt at drying.

If it were me I'd get enough Sistema tupperdors to hold them all and toss in a couple of 62% Bovedas, then leave them for a couple of months. If they don't smoke well after that I'd spend some time puzzling over what else they might have been exposed to.
post #20 of 26 Old 11-18-2019, 05:49 PM
Retired Chaos Designer

Just spitballing here, wondering if maybe the OP got ahold of some fresh rolls that are/were going through a sick period? If a new batch was putting off ammonia that could be enough to throw of the taste on the rest.

If I see a stick that made a noob nic sick,I put it on my list as a must try. (UBC03)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page