Did i just ruin 250+ Cubans? - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 11-16-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Young Fish

Did i just ruin 250+ Cubans?

Hello Everyone,

I was noticing that my cubans in one of my humidors were overhumidifed. Kept them at 21C/22c and 65%. I could smoke them but did get lots of burn issues and tight/plugged cigars. So a week ago i started to open my humidor to get the humidity down to 62%. I did it a couple of times for half an hour. Last wednesday and thursday however i kept the humidor open about 3 hours on each day (room is at 50%).

Now the last 10 cigars (all different) i picked from this humidor (top/bottom/even tubes) tasted horrible. They taste dried out, are light, just disgusting every single one of them. They taste exactly like when i dry box a cigar for to long. They dont burn hot or fast, they dont feel hard or have cracked wrappers so they do have humidity but i guess the oils just have evaporated. They were fine, although a bit overhumidified, a week ago so its definitely due to the fact i opened the humidor for to long.

I live in a high humidity climate (up to 85%) so my setup is a dedicated room for my cigars with air conditioning at 22C and a dehumidifier to keep the room exactly at 50%.

So my big question is..... did i just ruin a humidor full of cubans or will they recover fully? And with recover i mean 100%. I know you can bring a to dried out cigar back but it will never be the same. Not interested in that.

For now i keep them at 22C/62% and maybe raise 1% every week. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191116_1724360.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	263316  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 11-16-2019, 05:08 PM
CAT WRANGLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frits01 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I was noticing that my cubans in one of my humidors were overhumidifed. Kept them at 21C/22c and 65%. I could smoke them but did get lots of burn issues and tight/plugged cigars. So a week ago i started to open my humidor to get the humidity down to 62%. I did it a couple of times for half an hour. Last wednesday and thursday however i kept the humidor open about 3 hours on each day (room is at 50%).

Now the last 10 cigars (all different) i picked from this humidor (top/bottom/even tubes) tasted horrible. They taste dried out, are light, just disgusting every single one of them. They taste exactly like when i dry box a cigar for to long. They dont burn hot or fast, they dont feel hard or have cracked wrappers so they do have humidity but i guess the oils just have evaporated. They were fine, although a bit overhumidified, a week ago so its definitely due to the fact i opened the humidor for to long.

I live in a high humidity climate (up to 85%) so my setup is a dedicated room for my cigars with air conditioning at 22C and a dehumidifier to keep the room exactly at 50%.

So my big question is..... did i just ruin a humidor full of cubans or will they recover fully? And with recover i mean 100%. I know you can bring a to dried out cigar back but it will never be the same. Not interested in that.

For now i keep them at 22C/62% and maybe raise 1% every week. What do you guys think?
I'm gonna do you a favor and move this to habanos section. You'll be able to read the responses but not be able to respond yourself...

By the way, they'll be fine. It was only a week.
TonyBrooklyn, Kidvegas and jmt8706 like this.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #3 of 26 Old 11-16-2019, 05:51 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

It's your lucky day bro. I happen to run a small operation dedicated to the recycling of unwanted or perhaps ruined cigars. Address is in my profile. Just send those babies my way and I'll gladly dispose of them properly lol!!

Sent from The Cauldron Of Insanity
TonyBrooklyn, Rondo, UBC03 and 3 others like this.

ANYTIME IS STOGIE TIME!

post #4 of 26 Old 11-16-2019, 06:20 PM
CAT WRANGLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidvegas View Post
It's your lucky day bro. I happen to run a small operation dedicated to the recycling of unwanted or perhaps ruined cigars. Address is in my profile. Just send those babies my way and I'll gladly dispose of them properly lol!!

Always the good samaritan.. lol

Sent from ... hey Jon, where's my damn sandwich
TonyBrooklyn, Kidvegas and Ewood like this.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #5 of 26 Old 11-16-2019, 07:30 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBC03 View Post
Always the good samaritan.. lol

Sent from ... hey Jon, where's my damn sandwich
Always willing to help a brother out

TonyBrooklyn and SoCal Gunner like this.

ANYTIME IS STOGIE TIME!
post #6 of 26 Old 11-16-2019, 07:50 PM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

I could test some for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TonyBrooklyn likes this.

“Any cigar smoker is a friend, because I know how he feels.” – Alfred de Musset
post #7 of 26 Old 11-17-2019, 09:57 AM

There is no way the cigars are damaged if they were fine before. Sometimes people have a bad week - maybe you are catching a cold?
TonyBrooklyn likes this.
post #8 of 26 Old 11-17-2019, 11:08 AM
Ihavemyeyesonyou!

50-60% is a good smoking range.
Drink a glass of lemonade, wait 15 mins
Eat a scoop of lime sherbert
If that doesn't work....
Wait 3 days and repeat.
Could be a case of just needing a good cleansing.
Your cigars should be fine.

Got a nice selection going on
TonyBrooklyn likes this.

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried.
post #9 of 26 Old 11-17-2019, 11:22 AM
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frits01 View Post
Hello Everyone,

You are your own best judge as to how they are or should taste. You did not accumulate all those seegars without picking up some knowledge IMHO. What i do when i don't like something. I donate them to our troops.
Perfecto Dave likes this.

"Dear Lord Thank you for your protection and your many signs along the way. Thank you for any good that I may have done, I'm so sorry about the bad."- Eli
post #10 of 26 Old 11-17-2019, 12:51 PM

Hard to believe you could ruin and dry out all those cigars with only a few hours of the humidor open. Remember, it takes, typically, a week per percentage point to shift humidity in the cigar.

What you need to do is close the humidor and leave it alone for a couple weeks so that the cigars can regulate. Dry boxing for a day or two will only really affect the wrapper and open end unless you are forcing air flow.

As others mentioned, give your pallet a rest and that will also give the cigars a rest. But I would stop opening the humidor.

Get yourself some 62% Bovedas
TonyBrooklyn likes this.

Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page