Romeo y Julieta Edicion Limitada 2005 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

4Likes
  • 4 Post By TexaSmoke

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-12-2018, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
No longer a community member.

Romeo y Julieta Edicion Limitada 2005

I was given this cigar by a generous BOTL and simply told to write a few words about my thoughts on it from a NOOB's perspective and I gladly obliged. This is the first of five aged sticks he sent me.
The RyJ is a petite Piramide that measures at roughly the same size as a robusto and has approximately 13 years on it.
The preflight draw had a perfect amount of resistance and tasted of dried fruit and sweet tobacco.
I toasted the foot lightly with my torch and finished it off with a lit piece of cedar.
While smoking this cigar I had a glass with 3 fingers of Gentleman Jack on the rocks and 24 ounces of tepid distilled water. Total smoking time was 75 minutes and it kept a solid burn line the entire time with no touching up or relighting necessary.
I am keeping this as unbiased and informative as possible with my limited palate and expertise with habanos.
The cigar from start to finish kept a very similar profile, so I am not going to split this into thirds. The main flavor of the cigar was a flavor I can only describe as a typical RyJ profile. I have tried 4 or 5 different vitola from RyJ and they have all had a somewhat similar flavor. This one was no different, but had seemingly gotten quite a bit milder over time. The flavor was creamy dark chocolate with baking spices and a bit of leather, but they were very muted. The retro reminded me of when I'd leave some Dunhill Elizabethan in my pipe for a few hours after an initial smoke and come back later to find it a little moist from the humidity. Strange, I know, but this was exactly the memories is was bringing up. There was also a flavor in the background that I can only describe as old. Its almost like that was where the twang used to live, but the twang had been twung. The flavors never changed much, though they did intensify as the stick burned. The last third was pretty good once everything came to full force, but the beginnings were a little weak.
My thoughts are that it may have been a bit past its prime. If it were ROTT, I'd say there was hope but I can't honestly say I think more age would make it any better. That's just a noobs opinion. The cigar was not bad at all, though the strange old flavor in the background was a little off-putting.
I really appreciate the kind donor for giving me the opportunity to try this little piece of habano history. I cant wait to try the next four.
Thanks for reading, folks.

Last edited by TexaSmoke; 10-12-2018 at 11:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-12-2018, 08:53 PM
Alpha Puffer Fish

Nice review! 13 years old! Wow!!!

"Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late" - JB
post #3 of 5 Old 10-12-2018, 11:31 PM
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Any pics? Nice write up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 5 Old 10-12-2018, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
No longer a community member.

Added the before pic. In the future I'll have to remember to grab progress pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewood View Post
Any pics? Nice write up!

post #5 of 5 Old 10-12-2018, 11:51 PM
Puffer Fish with many spikes

Nice review!

Blowing Smoke!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page