Ramon Allones Small Club Corona (from 2003) - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-19-2007, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Ramon Allones Small Club Corona (from 2003)

Ramon Allones Small Club Corona (from 2003)
Size: Length 4-3/8 Gauge 42

The construction was very good, firm with no noticeable soft spots.

The wrapper was Medium brown, a little sheen, with minimal veining.

Draw was on the firm side but tolerable with plenty of smoke. The burn was perfect and super straight for the duration.

The first puffs to were sweet nutty and coffee with a woody finish, medium bodied. After the first half inch the profile changed delivering dense flavors of espresso coffee, creamy hazelnut, and a mild spicy leathery in the finish. By the halfway point the cigar was between medium and full in body giving me more of that Rass flavor with each puff.

As it progressed, the initial flavors continued but were joined by subtle hints of floral sweetness and some mint flavors in the finish. I burned this Rass SC down to the nub and enjoyed every coffee and mint filled puff. Man! I just burned a whole box of 2003's and I'm starting on my second box. For the record not a single disappointment in the box. Just a lot of good smokes. :dr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-19-2007, 09:43 PM

Re: Ramon Allones Small Club Corona (from 2003)

Great review. Have been wondering about these. CA recently ranked a lot of PCs. Surprisingly the ranking was:
1) Tatuaje Havana VI 93
2) Ashton Tres Mystique 92
3) ERDM PC 92
4) DR Upmann Vintage PC 90
5) SLR PC 90
6) Trinidad Reyes 90
7) Boli PC 89
RA SCC (Box code 9/06) 87

I can only attribute this to the fact that all the CCs rated were from '06. Haven't tried the Tat, but seems interesting. Tres Mystique is outstanding.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-20-2007, 12:16 AM

Thanks for the review. This is a cigar that is on my to try list.

As far as the CA rankings go...they say its a blind taste test, but I can't help but feel that certain makers ad spending with the magazine has a certain amount of sway. As a former ad man, I know how indulgent a magazine can be to a prospective client.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-20-2007, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne RU View Post
Thanks for the review. This is a cigar that is on my to try list.

As far as the CA rankings go...they say its a blind taste test, but I can't help but feel that certain makers ad spending with the magazine has a certain amount of sway. As a former ad man, I know how indulgent a magazine can be to a prospective client.
I concur and also believe CA's opinion of a cigar is swayed by big ad spending. Too bad they are reviewing smokes from 2006. Most Cuban's with a bit more age would beat a Tatuaje or an Ashton. ( IMHO )
post #5 of 8 Old 06-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Will work for less hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldude View Post
I concur and also believe CA's opinion of a cigar is swayed by big ad spending. Too bad they are reviewing smokes from 2006. Most Cuban's with a bit more age would beat a Tatuaje or an Ashton. ( IMHO )
True and for my money the PAM '64 Principe beats out that Tat and the VSG anyday. Sounds like marketing 101
post #6 of 8 Old 06-20-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldude View Post
But, Altadis owns 50% of Habanos SA and one would think they advertise pretty heavily.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-20-2007, 10:19 PM

PAMs are fantastic, much better than VSGs.

Still CA is a fun mag to leaf through on the throne. There aren't many mags out there for us "tobacco use disorder" types.

RASS with a couple of years would probably smoke like a dream.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-20-2007, 11:16 PM

Man looks like I gotta get my hands on some PAM Principes. Better than VSG? Listening now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2003, allones, club, corona, ramon, small

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page