Audiophile - Headphone Lovers? - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 09-23-2011, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Audiophile - Headphone Lovers?

Hey fellows...are there any headphone lovers out here on Puff?

I am one that loves studio and pro headphones, particularly Sennheiser and a few others. I have have been using my Sennheiser HD 580 Precisions for about ten years. They stopped production of these in 2001, replacing them with the 600's & 650's...however these seem to be one of the most respected set of cans in existence.

I have finally worn out the interchangeable, factory cable. I know that I can get a new set from Sennheiser for $15-$30, depending on which pair I chose. However, I am looking to upgrade the cable to something in the $100-$150 range...for sound and longevity. I am currently looking at a cable built by "headphile"

Is there anyone here that has used Larry on their cables and/or woodies...or know any other high quality, excellent cable to look at? Any help would be appreceited.

I have been doing research and belong to the [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]head-fi.org[/COLOR] forum, but as much as I respect my fellow BOTL...I wanted to see if anyone here had any experience with a great interchangeable headphone cable? There are many makers of cables for my set of cans...I want the best.

P0rn

The wire I am looking at:

My headphones (Sennheiser HD 580):

Join the NRA, ask me WHY! :cb CCF on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-19-2011, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Re: Audiophile - Headphone Lovers?

Join the NRA, ask me WHY! :cb CCF on Facebook
post #3 of 19 Old 10-23-2011, 12:40 AM
Intergalactic Hussy

I have actually done some research since having to replace a pair that had broken beyond several attempted repair jobs. They were a crappy pair of Sony MDR v-700's I had gotten used to and learned to take into consideration the exaggerated bass and fragile highs they're known for. They're DJ headphones I got for free when I needed a pair, so I used them and they became my only pair.

I've heard some really high end Sennheisers and some of the Bose QC series and have been thoroughly impressed. Very balanced sounding. I'd live in that world if I wanted to sink that much into some headphones.

I currently use a cheapo set of Grado SR-60's. Cheapo being $85. They're very balanced, but could use a little more "luxury" in the low end. They do get down there on certain source material, but don't really get your blood pumping. Perhaps pairing them with a headphone amp that had the proper impedence and sufficient power would make them shine. They seem to want a gentle 3dB/octave shelf EQ starting around 150 Hz. Perhaps their higher end phones exhibit that much desired pillow of bass and smooth high end, but I didn't want to spend any more than I needed to or subject myself to endless A/B testing. The SR60's do just fine for my purposes at this point.

BTW, I'm a sound engineer and have lots of experience with critical listening.

post #4 of 19 Old 10-23-2011, 12:54 AM
Intergalactic Hussy

Oh yeah, don't get caught up in the expensive cable scam. A well built cable should not cost you that sort of bank. Unless it's some crazy proprietary thing they made to force you to pay that much for it.

I get pissed when I see HDMI cables selling for triple digits when a $2 cable does the same job. Don't get me started.....That sort of thing is rampant in the instrument cable and pro audio market.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Young Puffer Fish

I used to use a pair of Sennheiser cans, but those didn't last very long.

These days I prefer a good pair of in-ear monitors, and whilst I have used some including Klipsch, I still prefer those by Ultimate Ears. I have both the UE superfi 3 studio and triplefi 10 pro, the former for instrumental music, and the latter for vocals and jazz. Fantastic stuff. Worth the high price I paid for them.
post #6 of 19 Old 02-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Puffer Fish with many spikes

I spent a few years chasing headphone perfection over at headfi- bought and sold a ton of stuff. I ended up growing tired of it all and now I have a sound proof room so I just use Ascend Sierra speakers (streaming lossless of course). All I have left is a pair of HD580s (I'm a Senn guy too), Shure SE 535, and a pair of UE11's that I haven't pulled out of the box in at least 2 years. My most used headphones- shure SE115 with the modular cable. I run them to a samsung BT receiver that clips to my shirt and synced to my phone mainly for audiobooks, podcasts and non-audiophile grade music from gmusic. Blasphemy I know, but it's liberating not feeling like I need to buy overpriced voodoo magic interconnects from ALO and carry a headphone amp everywhere I go.

It was entertaining while it lasted but ultimately it just proved to me that all hobbies teeter on the same slippery slope.

He's thrown a kettle over a pub, what have you done?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 19 Old 02-22-2013, 08:49 PM
US Air Force, Retired

It looks like someone is digging up old posts, but I'll bite anyway. I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50S's and a FiiO E11 amp. As far as high end headphones go, that's scraping the shallow end of the pool, but they sound incredible to me. The amp really isn't necessary but it adds fullness to the low end where the music would otherwise start to sound strained.

I actually bought them for a deployment knowing I'd be in a C17 or C130 for part of the trip. I considered noise cancelling but changed my mind at the last minute because of sound quality concerns. In the end, I was really happy with how they performed.

But then during my deployment, I found a pair of Able Planet noise cancelling headphones on sale for dirt cheap and bought them on a whim. I made the mistake of sending everything home and just taking those with me for the return flight. They blocked a lot of the noise, but didn't sound nearly as good.
post #8 of 19 Old 02-28-2013, 12:25 AM
Young Puffer Fish

Hi Jim Rockford, I have always wondered if headphone amps make any difference, worthwhile enough to spend some money on them. As you said, it adds fullness to your low end, but do you notice whether it adds any fullness to the higher end frequency range, as that is the problem I'm facing with my in-ear monitors now. High frequencies are taking a back seat, giving way to the midrange and bass. Hmmmm....
post #9 of 19 Old 03-01-2013, 07:10 PM
Young Puffer Fish

My in-ear monitors - the Ultimate Ears triple.fi 10 pro, with the treble hiding behind the midrange and bass. Excellent monitors nonetheless, just about anything sounds good passing through this! The other one I use when I want a more pronounced treble is the UE super.fi 3 studio but this one has been discontinued...
post #10 of 19 Old 03-06-2013, 08:36 PM
US Air Force, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonbuy View Post
Hi Jim Rockford, I have always wondered if headphone amps make any difference, worthwhile enough to spend some money on them. As you said, it adds fullness to your low end, but do you notice whether it adds any fullness to the higher end frequency range, as that is the problem I'm facing with my in-ear monitors now. High frequencies are taking a back seat, giving way to the midrange and bass. Hmmmm....
With my headphones, I don't think the amplifier is essential, but I do feel it improves the sound quality across the entire frequency range. It's especially apparent at higher volume but seems more effortless and precise at lower volume as well.

However, it sounds like you may just need to disable any bass boost or equalization enabled in your player. That, in conjunction with a high quality amplifier may be the answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
audiophile, headphone, lovers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page