Guitar thread - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 217Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 147 Old 06-15-2018, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Guitar thread

Seems to come up here and there that there is some interest in a thread so here it is... post up anything to do with your guitars, equipment, playing, clips, other musical endeavors or what have you. I'm a good player but hardly ever involved in any organized gigs etc.. I like to hobby around on the equipment side quite a bit though.

I'll start with this Vantage Artist. I actually had one of these new from the store in the early 80's and it became nostalgic to replace it several years back. For an inexpensive guitar (now, not then) they are extremely well made and great players, coming from the famous Matsumoku factory in Japan. They came with active electronics back then which were the major downfall as they were totally unreliable. But you get a three mini-toggle switch holes as a result... It came like this without the case.

I pulled all the (non-stock and unknown) wiring out and had a plan made for a Page style hookup using some Bareknuckle pickups (humbucker size p90 "Mississippi Queen" at neck and "Abraxas" humbucker at bridge). Yum. Split or reverse the humbucker, and combine it series/parallel with the P90 for quack tones and phase for the weird Page distortion.

(out with the old hack)

Shielded it and installed with all new switches, jacks, wires.

One of the few that has made a permanent spot for itself.

Piper, Gumby-cr, Matt_21 and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 147 Old 06-15-2018, 06:08 PM
No longer a community member.

Cool thread, John. I really dig the old Matsumoku guitars as well. Owned quite a few of them over the years. I'll have to go through my old pics and see what I can find.

Sent from where the stars at night are big and bright.
Piper and huffer33 like this.
post #3 of 147 Old 06-15-2018, 06:11 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

I don't play but several of my friends do. My buddy Carl probably has 20-30 or more guitars, here's just some of his in his living room. I feel like he's got guitars in every room but the kitchen.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171213_192519.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	220858  

Piper, Matt_21, huffer33 and 1 others like this.

Win or lose, we booze.

post #4 of 147 Old 06-15-2018, 07:08 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffer33 View Post
Seems to come up here and there that there is some interest in a thread so here it is... post up anything to do with your guitars, equipment, playing, clips, other musical endeavors or what have you. I'm a good player but hardly ever involved in any organized gigs etc.. I like to hobby around on the equipment side quite a bit though.

I'll start with this Vantage Artist. I actually had one of these new from the store in the early 80's and it became nostalgic to replace it several years back. For an inexpensive guitar (now, not then) they are extremely well made and great players, coming from the famous Matsumoku factory in Japan. They came with active electronics back then which were the major downfall as they were totally unreliable. But you get a three mini-toggle switch holes as a result... It came like this without the case.

I pulled all the (non-stock and unknown) wiring out and had a plan made for a Page style hookup using some Bareknuckle pickups (humbucker size p90 "Mississippi Queen" at neck and "Abraxas" humbucker at bridge). Yum. Split or reverse the humbucker, and combine it series/parallel with the P90 for quack tones and phase for the weird Page distortion.

(out with the old hack)

Shielded it and installed with all new switches, jacks, wires.

One of the few that has made a permanent spot for itself.

Beautiful collection John. You are a man of many talents. The electronics look interesting. Reminds me of my Heathkit days. Who are your favorite guitarists?
Matt_21 and huffer33 like this.
post #5 of 147 Old 06-15-2018, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
Beautiful collection John. You are a man of many talents. The electronics look interesting. Reminds me of my Heathkit days. Who are your favorite guitarists?
I love all the greats. I lean more towards prog./classic rock, blues, jazz, and bluegrass etc. - not a big follower of sweeps and taps and really heavy stuff. I recognize the skill of the really fast modern players but it doesn't stir my soul. If I had to pick one, going all the way back before I picked up a guitar the first time, it'd be Steve Howe.

He made a lot more accessible music with Yes - this is about as challenging of a piece as ever put down though. It is highly orchestrated and played note for note. Many will find it noise after 2 min., but it brings a tear to my eye when they get to the catharsis every time.

post #6 of 147 Old 06-15-2018, 08:04 PM
Alpha Puffer Fish

Great thread.
I'll post more a bit later.
You need to come have some fun over at my les paul forum. Good group of guys there and lots of guitar talk. Lots of non- guitar talk too.

Edit: whats the gibby over there? An old B series?
Piper likes this.

"If you got time to breathe, you got time for music ."
post #7 of 147 Old 06-15-2018, 08:12 PM

Here is my current electric guitar. I go back and forth from having 10 guitars to 2. Right now I have one electric and one acoustic. This is a 2018 Fender American Professional Tele Deluxe Shawbucker.
Always loved the simplicity of Telecasters and the longer scale length, but prefer humbuckers. Once they offered an American, non reissue without the wide range buckers I jumped on it.
I used to play around the state a lot, but hung that up years ago. I play at church w sundays a month and with friends as often as possible. I'll try to post some YouTube links later.

Piper, Matt_21, huffer33 and 1 others like this.
post #8 of 147 Old 06-15-2018, 08:12 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffer33 View Post
I love all the greats. I lean more towards prog./classic rock, blues, jazz, and bluegrass etc. - not a big follower of sweeps and taps and really heavy stuff. I recognize the skill of the really fast modern players but it doesn't stir my soul. If I had to pick one, going all the way back before I picked up a guitar the first time, it'd be Steve Howe.

https://youtu.be/iNUedapF-bo

He made a lot more accessible music with Yes - this is about as challenging of a piece as ever put down though. It is highly orchestrated and played note for note. Many will find it noise after 2 min., but it brings a tear to my eye when they get to the catharsis every time.

https://youtu.be/WJRVBQtKltM
Amazing! I can't believe I've never heard of this guy. I actually like "Clap" better because you could hear the incredible guitar work. Clearly Steve Howe was classically trained and is a prodigy. And I thought Mark Knopfler's solo in "Sultans of Swing" was great.
Matt_21 and huffer33 like this.
post #9 of 147 Old 06-15-2018, 08:15 PM

@Piper Yes! Knopfler is a beast and deserves every bit of praise he gets. Fantastic player...

Piper and Matt_21 like this.
post #10 of 147 Old 06-15-2018, 08:34 PM
Alpha Puffer Fish

Here are two of my favourite players.
TexaSmoke likes this.

"If you got time to breathe, you got time for music ."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page