Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

Puff Cigar Discussion Forums (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/)
-   Music (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/music/)
-   -   What are you listening to? (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/music/5543-what-you-listening.html)

LasciviousXXX 11-23-2004 05:38 AM

Re: What are you listening to?

Ok its early in the morning so its time to switch up the playlist. I'm going with Boston's self titled album. After that I'm switching to Clapton's greatest hits.

Matt R 11-23-2004 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Generate
I love this. My very first concert was in 1986

Hmmm... you guys are youngsters, I see.....

Ever since the first EP by The Descendents I ahve been hooked. I've seen them and ALL many, many times. Was first introduced to the punk scene by my uncle (The Clash, The Sex Pistols, The Ramones, Patti Smith, etc., etc.). Got into skateboarding and migrated towards the straightedge movement. But, it was the Minor Threat type straightedge movement. Just making sure that nothing was controlling my life other than myself. Pretty much stick to that nowadays too. East coast bands I got into were Minor Threat, Agnostic Front, Dag Nasty, The Ramones and quite a few other Dischord bands. I was more into the west coast bands though. The Descendents, Circle Jerks, Dead Kennedys, Aggression, MIA, TSOL, DI, The Adolescents, X, The Germs, 7 Seconds, Youth of Today, Social Distortion... I could go on forever, here. Being so close to Chicago we had our share of cool bands too. Naked Raygun was a big draw around here.

I played in a couple of bands, pretty much our own style, but it would probably be considered Chicago hardcore. A couple of the guys I played with were in Negative Element, who you hardcore guys may or may not have heard of. One of the guys who hung out with us was Bloody Mess, anyone who knows GG Allin real good should probably know Bloody, also. Damn dudes, those were the days.......

kamikaiguy 11-23-2004 11:51 AM

Early in the morning I like Enya and right wing talk radio....

As the Day progresses. I get into Classic Rock, then in the evening Punk, Death Metal and 80's alternative. The Clash is great. I get into Morrisy, Violent Fems, and such.

motortown 11-23-2004 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamikaiguy
Sonus Faber are truely great speakers. I have Energy Conoseur(sp?) series C9's I just picked them up about 6 months ago. Playing through My Yamaha RX-Z9 also about 6 months old. This is truely one of the best Musical surrond sound recievers on the Market. It is great for video too.

Yeah, Kamikaiguy, I absolutely love my Sonus Faber speakers! They're difficult to find, a niche market, if you will. I was able to get them at cost (which was the only way I could've gotten them!) :D . That Yami is a pretty sweet receiver, too. I used to sell a ton of Yami receivers (glad they came back), along with Pioneer and Denon. On the higher end, we did a lot of Krell and Rotel. Speaker-wise, we had the Energy line, as well as Polk, Klipsch, Kef, B&W and a few others. We did a ton of Pioneer plasma and Runco projectors, too. Everybody needs their toys!! :D

Churchlady 11-23-2004 01:00 PM

Love the Providence soundtrack for mornings... also Lone Star - county fair and mr. mom are two great songs to get me moving!

friendoofop 11-23-2004 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillyGT
Right now it is Rammstein - Eifersucht

Right on! There is just something about the german language (and Till Lindemann's voice) that makes metal something it could NEVER be in english. The power of his vocal tone and the german lyrics is amazing. Pick up 'Reise, Reise' yet? (did i spell that right?)

Usually for me, it looks something like this:

Tool
Cake
The Tea Party
Tool
Weezer
Some form of electronic-metal (Type O Negative, Rammstein, Powerman 5000, etc)
Tool

Arleban 11-23-2004 06:31 PM

Getting out of techno mode right now. Muse, Radiohead, Tool, Mad Capsule Markets, Busta Rhymes, Rufus Wainright, and Elliot Smith have been played within the last two days.

partagaspete 11-24-2004 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX
Ok just a quick thread to see what everybody is jammin' out to this evening.

I myself have decided to go with Led Zepplin's "IV" this evening to spice it up a little bit. I probably will move on to CCR after that just to get me back in the state of relaxation. :w Groovin' :w

Stone Temple Pilot... I love this CD

IHT 11-24-2004 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt R
Hmmm... you guys are youngsters, I see..... <IHT - i know that's sarcastic.. lol>

Ever since the first EP by The Descendents I ahve been hooked. I've seen them and ALL many, many times. Was first introduced to the punk scene by my uncle (The Clash, The Sex Pistols, The Ramones, Patti Smith, etc., etc.). <IHT - patty smith?? c'mon, we're talkin punk/hardcore, not "the cars">

Got into skateboarding and migrated towards the straightedge movement. But, it was the Minor Threat type straightedge movement. <IHT - was there another straight edge movement that i didn't know about?>

Just making sure that nothing was controlling my life other than myself. Pretty much stick to that nowadays too. East coast bands I got into were Minor Threat, Agnostic Front, Dag Nasty, The Ramones and quite a few other Dischord bands. I was more into the west coast bands though. The Descendents, Circle Jerks, Dead Kennedys, Aggression, MIA, TSOL, DI, The Adolescents, X, The Germs, 7 Seconds, Youth of Today <IHT - youth of today was totally a NYC band, revelation records label, etc. i have all their tapes, or did> , Social Distortion... I could go on forever, here. Being so close to Chicago we had our share of cool bands too. Naked Raygun was a big draw around here. <IHT - life sentence was a cool local chicago band that would show up in StL every once in a while. also, all the talk of straight edge, and you listened to social distortion "aka - sellouts", and the ramones!!?? just teasing...>

I played in a couple of bands, pretty much our own style, but it would probably be considered Chicago hardcore. A couple of the guys I played with were in Negative Element, who you hardcore guys may or may not have heard of. One of the guys who hung out with us was Bloody Mess, anyone who knows GG Allin real good should probably know Bloody, also. Damn dudes, those were the days....... <IHT - not a GG Allin fan at all. i wasn't into all that nasty type of stuff. doin' things just to gross out the crowd and be totally rude for no reason.>

those were the days, that's true.

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Generate
I love this. My very first concert was in 1986 and it was in Bremerton, a small navy town outside of Seattle, at a closed roller skating rink. It was the Accused, DRI and a death metal band called Holy Terror. <IHT - yep, the accused could rock your jock off, that's for sure. i loved their song, "scared of the dark." shook our little pub like crazy. i remember standing on the stage next to them, on top of their stacks they had to lay on their sides... they were traveling with some heavy metal band as well, so we all took off our shirts, stuck them on our heads and acted like we were banging our heads. DRI, man, those guys were frickin funny. they had some very good songs on one of their first albums, can't remember what it was called. mad man, nursing home blues, etc.>

Although, as a Seattle transplant to my new hometown of Reno, I must point out that 7 Seconds was a Reno band, not LA. And Black Flag's My War is a remarkable album and definitely one for the ages. <IHT - my fault, everyone assumed they were from LA because they had that typical LA punk sound goin' on. they played down off the Delmar Loop in St. Louis with Circle Jerks in an old skating rink. the local bands that opened were pretty good as well, one of them called "laffinstock". unfortunately, they had to stop the show for "fire hazard" reasons - pretty much, it was a stage dive fest and the locals weren't too happy about it.>

Almost forgot to add that Bad Brains is one of my favorite bands of all time! Rock For Light is amazing.
<IHT - i listened to that on the way back from the funeral yesterday afternoon. by far, my favorite punk band of all time. hell, i even owned some of HR (their singer) reggae tapes.> Who would have thought that three Rastafarians (who started what they thought would be a jazz fusion band) would leave such a mark on hardcore? <IHT - most of my albums show 4 guys, but that doesn't matter. yep, amazing when i play this and some of my co-workers are like "what's that junk, man?" then i show them the CD insert and they're like, "those dudes is black?" uh... yep. i turned coppertop onto these guys last year... he's now a huge bad brains fan as well.>

cue the archie bunker tunes.... "THOSE WERE THE DAYS....."

hey, is that "lemmie" from motorhead in your avitar?
ACE OF SPADES!! i found it funny that all the british punk bands loved motorhead... hell, i didn't know who they were until i saw "the exploited" and wattie buchan was wearing a motorhead t-shirt...

coppertop 11-24-2004 03:11 PM

Wow, well unfortunatly I didn't grow up around cool music. It wasn't until high school and college where I discovered the music that I listen to now. And then working with/for IHT has helped a lot. He has introduced me to Bad Brains and some older DK. But I also love Naked Raygun, one of my favorite bands.

I also am a Queens of the Stone Age fan, have been for about 5 yrs now, way before they got played on MTV and the damn radio. Modest Mouse is another cool band. Once again I listened to them before they were ever played on fuggin MTV.

Bjork, Voodoo Glow Skulls(thanks to IHT), Less Then Jake(also thanks to IHT). And a bunch more. I am not really into "mainstream" music. Although I do like some System of a Down. yadda yadda yadda

Forgot to add that I also enjoy Tribe Called Quest. Been a fan of them for a long time, ever since Low End Theory. My all time fav rock/rap group would be Beastie Boys. Been listening to them since License to Ill. Although I don't like thier new albumn at all.......to political for my tastes.