Taboo Original Exotic Blend Maduro torpedo review - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 08-23-2010, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Temp Ban for Rules Violation

Taboo Original Exotic Blend Maduro torpedo review

Ron (Shuckins) detonated this cigar in my mail box a while back, and it's been sitting in the humidor, just waiting ...

Waiting for me to get enough time? To get the chance? Waiting for what? I've certainly had time and opportunity to smoke it. Of course, Ron bombed the bejeepers out of me, so I had (and still have!) quite a few sticks from him to choose from. Not to mention a noob PIF and trade, an LB9 split, some cigars I've picked out at the B&M, and of course, the Australian ICBFFW (Inter-Continental Ballistic Forbidden Fruit Weapon).

But, no - I've had plenty of chances to smoke the Taboo torp. Truth is, as Ron described it, it's a "dark, evil-looking torpedo." It's pretty formidable-looking for a young smoker. I didn't want to tackle something that would be too much for me now, and maybe leave a bad taste in my mouth for later, when I could handle it better.

Nevertheless, I summoned-up the courage to light it up on Saturday evening. Outside temp was right at 100, humidity was monsoon-influenced, and the pool water was just right. Pam and I had sampler-amounts of three different wines left over from various occasions, so we took all three bottles outside with us. As they were all white wines, I was a little concerned about how they would stand up to the cigar.

First thing I noticed about this stick was the dark, shiny wrapper. Darkest, shiniest maduro I've seen. Almost like an oscuro wrapper. And no band, which is a certain disappointment for me, but nothing insurmountable. The cigar felt sturdy - no hard or soft spots, but it had a kind of rough-hewn look to it. Can't really say what it was - maybe not quite a perfect cylinder or cone shape.

With its dark, unbanded wrapper, slightly irregular shape, and a name with the words "Taboo" and "exotic," this looked like kind of an outlaw cigar.

Prelight draw was firm but not hard, and delivered a nice, rich, aged tobacco flavor with a hint of cocoa. It lit easily and burned pretty nicely. Went out once about halfway through, maybe as much my fault as the cigars, but relit easily. It really wanted to go out again with about 1.5 inches remaining, and I fought it a little bit, got another half inch burned, and then finally let it die.

Bandito cigar it may have looked, but it smoked really civilized. Earthy flavor up first, joined about an inch in with leather. Throughout the entire smoke there was just a hint of mint. The minty note held the same balance throughout, even as the main body of flavor shifted from pure earthy toward leather and a little wood. Somewhere after the first inch, a really fun peppery aftertaste popped up. Never tasted pepper in the draw, only felt its tingle and tasted its spice in the moments after exhaling.

Exhaling - ahhhh - lots of aromatic smoke. It smelled like rich guys hanging out in leather chairs around hand-carved wooden tables with glasses of favorite beverages close at hand.

Interestingly, although this cigar certainly placed well into the medium flavor range, it didn't drown out any of the white wines - not even a gentle, innocently fruity Riesling. It would have been better with a red, maybe, but there were times with the whites that I found a delicious, slightly smoky tropical fruit essence bursting on my palate. Exotic, indeed!

After a red-orange-pink-purple sunset that spread clear across to the East end of the cloudy sky, Jupiter shown incredibly brightly in the West, finding almost the only gap in the clouds. Further South and East, the moon lit up the growing cloud cover, and distant "heat lightning" flickered silently and sporadically across the sky.

As it grew later, the experience took on an almost elemental quality - a fiery ring swelling as I drew a breath of earth-flavored smoke. A storm-promising breeze carrying my exhaled wisps of gray and white into the darkness over the water. Almost two hours after lighting up, I let the Taboo go to sleep, and Pam and I headed inside.

Not long after, it began raining hard - drumming on the windows, tapping on the ground, splashing through the tree branches. A nice summer shower to cap off the experience. All in all, a very pleasant cigar to while away a couple of hours with on a summer's evening.

:sing: Puff the Magic Blowfish lived in the sea; But how he smoked underwater is a mystery to me. :sing:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-23-2010, 06:12 PM
No longer a community member.

Send a message via AIM to Nickerson
Re: Taboo Original Exotic Blend Maduro torpedo review

Thanks for the review. Well written. I've yet to try a Taboo cigar. I wish they made a petite corona size.

The Habano Sun Grown looks really good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
blend, exotic, maduro, original, review, taboo, torpedo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page