Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Churchill - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Arin
  • 1 Post By Cigary

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-30-2016, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Churchill

Unlike the majority of my reviews, this is not my first time experiencing one of these. I have actually smoked two before, and so far I havenít been blown away. After giving this one a few months of rest, I decided to try again. So here goes the review. Oh, and please excuse the ugly, black, $1 gloves; it has recently gotten cold here in central N.C., and cigars arenít as enjoyable for me if I cannot feel my fingers.
Appearance & Construction: This stick sports a nice box press, two simple yet elegant red bands, minimal veins, and slight oil sheen.
Pre-light: The cold draw consists of hay and sweet tobacco, while the sent from the foot is of sweet tobacco, cinnamon, and cedar.
Burn & Draw: A slightly wavy burn line persists throughout, but there were no touchups needed. The draw was firm, which has been the case for all three smoked; they are never plugged, or hard to draw on, but neither are they effortless.
Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Churchill-248.png
1st Third: Bakerís chocolate and sweet tobacco kicks off the first third. Over the next few minutes, semisweet chocolate and bakerís chocolate take turns dominating the forefront, with the only difference being a fluctuation in sweetness on the tongue. A sugary sweetness comes into play for a couple puffs, as the bakerís chocolate pairs with a hint of salt.
Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Churchill-249.png
2nd Third: The bakerís chocolate nuance intensifies, and the retrohale reveals notes of nutty chocolate and citrus. Before long the sugary sweetness reappears. Suddenly I reached what I think was the best part of this cigar: overwhelmingly strong leather. I pick up leather fairly often in cigars, but itís usually subtle, and requires some thinking to identify. Not this time! This leather tasted like I just ate the Tandy Leather store. I have never experienced leather this strong or pronounced. Unfortunately, it doesnít last very long, and is quickly replaced by sweet chocolate. Bakerís chocolate then takes over, and is paired with a faint nuttiness that only lasts for a few puffs.
Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Churchill-250.png
Final Third: The final third is very one dimensional, as it is nothing but bakerís chocolate. It quickly grows bitter, and thus is allowed to die at the 80 minute mark, with 2Ē remaining.
Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Churchill-251.png
Conclusion: As I said, this isnít my first go at one of these, and Iím still not sold on them. Given the price of Rockys, I just canít say Iím a fan. My experience with every Rocky so far has been a slightly tight draw, and not enough complexity to justify the price. I know that many of you are Rocky fans, and so I will leave them for yíall. As always, I hope my review was interesting and informative.
lroy76 and Asrar Merchant like this.

"We don't smoke cigars, we taste them."
óDaniel Marshall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-31-2016, 08:33 AM
Director of Sarcasm

Location: I live in two different states....Confusion and Disoriented.

Thanks for your review...I've had these and used to smoke them years ago but found them to be hit/miss in flavor. They are not a flavor bomb at all but sometimes you get ahold of one that you think...hmmm....tastes pretty darn good. Then you smoke another one and it's like...wth...this doesn't taste like the last one. The 90 and 92's are basically the same cigar....some people love them while you and I tend to rather smoke something else. Try a RP Edge Toro Maduro...these are one of Rockys most popular cigars because they tend to smoke the same..consistent and tasty.
Amelia Isabelle likes this.

Busting balls since 1954.
My Indian Name...Lives For Cigars
post #3 of 7 Old 01-31-2016, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

That's interesting. I will have to try one of those. I was really more frustrated with the draw than anything, because I really like an effortless draw.

post #4 of 7 Old 01-31-2016, 02:18 PM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

I've found the same experience as Cigary has...hit and miss...with all the other great ceegars that are out there, this one is no longer on my radar at all. I think your review is very accurate...

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. Just sayin'...
post #5 of 7 Old 01-31-2016, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Thanks Yardog! I'm glad to see similar feedback, as I was afraid I was giving the stick a bad wrap. I guess that's just how these are.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-13-2016, 12:19 PM
CigarClass

i have tried one of these vintage churchill and it wasn't something i want to experience again. Nothing compared to the great experiences i have always had smoking the Rocky Decades.

The decades never turn down on me. every one of them has been spectacular. different sizes too. its one of my go to.

Also i tried the Rocky 15th Anniversary and it was a real waste of time for me.

I have the Edge Maduro and waiting to try that on to see what thats like.

Xen by Nish Patel is not a bad cigar. Not something that i would miss utterly, but not something i would not touch as well. Its just a good cigar.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-14-2016, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrar Merchant View Post
Nothing compared to the great experiences i have always had smoking the Rocky Decades.
Interestinng! I'll have to add that to my list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
churchill, rocky patel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page