Hi, I'm New Here & Review Hoyo De Monterey Rothschild - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-24-2006, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Hi, I'm New Here & Review Hoyo De Monterey Rothschild

Been Lurking for awhile. I enjoy the forums and it seems everyone is a great group of folks..Been smoking Cigars on and off since I was of legal age and just recently started smoking regularly again. I prefer medium to full bodied sticks in a Robusto size and Petit Coronas...but I still have a lot to learn. I have enjoyed reading Texan to the End's reviews, so i'll do mine in his style (sort of) without stealing his trademarks - thanks for the inspiration! LOL.

Hoyo De Monterey Rothschild
4.5 - Ring 50
Origin - Honduran
Wrapper Light to Medium Brown Ecuador Sumatran
Price $6.99
Pre Light - Very Grassy, Earthy Smell
Draw - Perfect (for me)

First off, the wrapper seemed a bit loose and was coming detached in places. The Stick seemed a bit dry, but the other cigar (review that one later) that I picked up from the same humidor was perfect.

First inch or two had a spicy flavor and an annoying metallic taste. Burn was even and the ash was solid and white. Smoke had a bluish tint.

Mid Cigar - Nice Spicy/Peppery taste and a bit of nut flavor, but that annoying Metalic taste would come back now and again. The Metallic flavor spoiled the good parts IMO.

Finish - Had a great burst of citrus flavor toward the end, but only lasted a couple of puffs...followed up by that metallic flavor returning. Got thru the metal taste to a nice creamy flavor only to have the metal flavor return (again). Ash turned dark gray and flaky.

Overall - Cigar held together pretty well, despite the wrapper. Good flavors in this cigar, but the metal flavor was irritating. I'll give another one a try someday, but not worth the price In my Humble Opinion.

Looking forward to reading and learning more about Cigars and getting to know all of you!

Thanks,

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-24-2006, 12:12 AM

Re: Hi, I'm New Here & Review Hoyo De Monterey Rothschild

Nice review and nice first post !

Welcome to Club Stogie !

post #3 of 9 Old 06-24-2006, 12:14 AM

Hey nice review. You should register for the newbie holiday contest. Just search for it. Also check out the newbie sampler trade, best way to try some QUALITY smokes!

post #4 of 9 Old 06-24-2006, 01:42 AM

Welcome to the jungle, air. Nice review.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-24-2006, 03:08 AM
Leading Puffer Fish

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! The man comes right in with his intro AND gives his first review at the same time. Way to go Scott, I think you're gonna fit right in with the gorillas around here.

Doc

Dr. Stogie Fresh
Visit Stogie Fresh at: http://www.stogiefresh.com

post #6 of 9 Old 06-25-2006, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by air1070
Been Lurking for awhile. I enjoy the forums and it seems everyone is a great group of folks..Been smoking Cigars on and off since I was of legal age and just recently started smoking regularly again. I prefer medium to full bodied sticks in a Robusto size and Petit Coronas...but I still have a lot to learn. I have enjoyed reading Texan to the End's reviews, so i'll do mine in his style (sort of) without stealing his trademarks - thanks for the inspiration! LOL.

Thanks,

Scott
You're welcome. Nothing is copyrighted, so feel free to use whatever you like & discard the rest.

Thanks.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-25-2006, 12:41 PM
RGD
Elder Jungle Leader - Not

LOL - yep - good intro and review!

Ron
post #8 of 9 Old 06-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Test Subject

Welcome,,nice review,,smoked a ton of the Hoyo Rothchilds..If you like the natural ,,try the maduro and the double maduro..

Jerry in Minnesota.

Proud Past Rider Of The Short Bus...
post #9 of 9 Old 06-25-2006, 01:04 PM
no..not THAT Dave!

Good to have some more gorilla bait around here besides me!LOL just joshin wit ya,Sounds like I might want to stay away from those Hoyos. Thanks for the review...Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hoyo, monterey, review, rothschild

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page