Spring 2019 Blind Pass reviews - Page 23 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 648Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #221 of 236 Old 06-07-2019, 04:45 PM
><(((ļ>
 
BOSSTANK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,891
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacey View Post
First inch or so white pepper, Graham crackers, something savory I can't place. I really like this cigar so far. @BOSSTANK not sure why you worried about this one so far seems like a solid walking cigar.


Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
It’s a good stick imo... I found it has many taste transitions... just wanted to see if I could surprise you with it haha
kacey likes this.

"A cigar ought not to be smoked solely with the mouth, but with the hand, the eyes, and with the spirit." Zino Davidoff
BOSSTANK is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #222 of 236 Old 06-07-2019, 04:49 PM
HUHHH??
 
kacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,758
        
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSSTANK View Post
Itís a good stick imo... I found it has many taste transitions... just wanted to see if I could surprise you with it haha
You did surprise me with this cigar. We have a transition to what I can only describe as a green flavor not like sour apples but maybe a crab apple, white pepper on the retrohale. Very interesting cigar and I am sure I have not had it before.
I hope I can pick some up next year. After the buying freeze is over.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues." -- Abraham Lincoln
kacey is offline  
post #223 of 236 Old 06-07-2019, 04:52 PM
><(((ļ>
 
BOSSTANK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,891
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacey View Post
You did surprise me with this cigar. We have a transition to what I can only describe as a green flavor not like sour apples but maybe a crab apple, white pepper on the retrohale. Very interesting cigar and I am sure I have not had it before.
I hope I can pick some up next year. After the buying freeze is over.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Now you making me want to smoke one haha... I think I may have one left. Ima go dig and see...

"A cigar ought not to be smoked solely with the mouth, but with the hand, the eyes, and with the spirit." Zino Davidoff
BOSSTANK is online now  
 
post #224 of 236 Old 06-07-2019, 05:03 PM
HUHHH??
 
kacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,758
        
Well I have to run to the Dr so jumping to the reveal.
For a Ghurka pretty good. I would certainly buy a few for walking sticks. Of course the problem is ya never know what you are going to get with Ghurka's.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Tulse, BOSSTANK and Dran like this.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues." -- Abraham Lincoln
kacey is offline  
post #225 of 236 Old 06-07-2019, 05:08 PM
><(((ļ>
 
BOSSTANK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,891
           
I found one... the BEAST is a decent stick... the Gurkha beauties are not so good imo
Dran likes this.

"A cigar ought not to be smoked solely with the mouth, but with the hand, the eyes, and with the spirit." Zino Davidoff
BOSSTANK is online now  
post #226 of 236 Old 06-08-2019, 01:59 AM
Young Fish
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 13
 
Have to say I've been using the 5 beasts I got from a simpler as dog hiking sticks and so far not disappointed. Left em alone for a long time but turned out ok for hiking with the dog.
kacey likes this.
Cinder is offline  
post #227 of 236 Old 06-16-2019, 10:54 AM
Leading Puffer Fish
 
Scotchpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,246
           
Spring 2019 Blind Pass reviews

Trying cigar #5 from Casa de Dunnam this morning due to its unique, almost flat box press and dark, toothy wrapper that I assume is San Andreas. Based on appearance Iím almost certain Iíve never smoked this before, but after my recent run of poor reviews, I know better than to be certain of anything.







Note very few veins in the wrapper, and well packed cigar without any soft spots. Triple cap clips easily with straight cutter and reveals a nice earthy leather preflight draw that matches the earth and barnyard smell found on the foot. Letís fire up!





First inch has a nice pepper and earthy retro and cigar is drawing perfectly after a bit of work to get it lit.

Transitions nicely into a leather and sweet nuttiness as the white pepper fades into the background. A bit of a wavy burn that corrects itself without any touch ups. Flaky grey ash needs to be rubbed off and it seems to resist falling away.



Second third is strong leather and a creamy earthiness. This cigar is pairing very well with my black coffee and building from medium strength to a medium full. I should have eaten something this morning.





Last third the leather increases as the creaminess fades. Great smoke output throughout and Iím burning my fingers trying to smoke all I can. Excellent little cigar that I thoroughly enjoyed. I have no guess other than what I assume to be the Mexican wrapper and Nicaraguan filler.



The reveal:





NorteŮo! A first for me, definitely not the last. Thanks @Rabidawise!
Tulse, Rabidawise, Dran and 1 others like this.


Scotchpig is offline  
post #228 of 236 Old 06-16-2019, 02:27 PM
Alpha Puffer Fish
 
Rabidawise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,825
          
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotchpig View Post
Trying cigar #5 from Casa de Dunnam this morning due to its unique, almost flat box press and dark, toothy wrapper that I assume is San Andreas. Based on appearance Iím almost certain Iíve never smoked this before, but after my recent run of poor reviews, I know better than to be certain of anything.







Note very few veins in the wrapper, and well packed cigar without any soft spots. Triple cap clips easily with straight cutter and reveals a nice earthy leather preflight draw that matches the earth and barnyard smell found on the foot. Letís fire up!





First inch has a nice pepper and earthy retro and cigar is drawing perfectly after a bit of work to get it lit.

Transitions nicely into a leather and sweet nuttiness as the white pepper fades into the background. A bit of a wavy burn that corrects itself without any touch ups. Flaky grey ash needs to be rubbed off and it seems to resist falling away.



Second third is strong leather and a creamy earthiness. This cigar is pairing very well with my black coffee and building from medium strength to a medium full. I should have eaten something this morning.





Last third the leather increases as the creaminess fades. Great smoke output throughout and Iím burning my fingers trying to smoke all I can. Excellent little cigar that I thoroughly enjoyed. I have no guess other than what I assume to be the Mexican wrapper and Nicaraguan filler.



The reveal:





NorteŮo! A first for me, definitely not the last. Thanks @Rabidawise!


Nice review and one of my favorite smokes! Well done!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late" - JB
Rabidawise is offline  
post #229 of 236 Old 06-18-2019, 02:31 PM
Leading Puffer Fish
 
SilkyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Niceville, FL
Posts: 1,078
        
Cigar E from @kacey today. I haven't smoked much in the last few weeks and my taste buds haven't been cooperating much when I have. I've been kind of disappointed in several sticks that I usually like so I thought I'd hit the reset button by smoking blind. It's a 6◊50 something Toro with a medium orange brown wrapper. I didn't even think to pay attention to anything before I lit it. Spring 2019 Blind Pass reviews-20190618_112712_1560877925628.jpg
The draw is fine but there's just not a whole lot of smoke from it. Hopefully that will improve. I do like what I'm getting though. Bread, nuts, and something a little bit sweet. Reminds me of the really good whole grain bread with the nuts and seeds in it. Pairs good with this beer too which also had kind of a rustic bread thing going on. They're even almost the exact same color
Spring 2019 Blind Pass reviews-20190618_113958_1560878260915.jpg
Just when I think I have a couple of ideas what this might be it changes slightly and makes me change my mind. Im picking up something slightly fruity in the second third now. I usually get the bread taste with corojo wrappers and that's what I was leaning towards. Now I think I've changed my mind and I'm thinking this is an Espinosa Laranja. Spring 2019 Blind Pass reviews-20190618_115958_1560878805241.jpg
I've had 2 of those so far and liked the first one but had burn issues with the second.
Tulse and Rabidawise like this.

One great big festering neon distraction
SilkyJ is offline  
post #230 of 236 Old 06-18-2019, 03:32 PM
Leading Puffer Fish
 
SilkyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Niceville, FL
Posts: 1,078
        
Nothing's changed my mind yet. Finally in the last third and its smoking better now with much stronger flavors. Spring 2019 Blind Pass reviews-20190618_131402_1560881958883.jpg
It kind of reminds me of the Alpha Dawg he at the end. Another Espinosa stick so I really think I might be right this time. It's now storming so im going to wrap this up and see what it is. Spring 2019 Blind Pass reviews-20190618_132612_1560882423844.jpg
I don't think I could have been more wrong if I had tried lol. To start with I've never even heard of these before so I had to look it up. Second, it says this is a PA Maduro wrapper. I would have never guessed that since this is by far the lightest colored cigar you sent me. Hahaha, either way I really enjoyed it. Thanks @kacey I think I still have one left so hopefully I'll do better next time but I doubt it lol.
WNYTony, Tulse and kacey like this.

One great big festering neon distraction
SilkyJ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome