Who else goes 100% from the beginning? - Page 4 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 51 Old 08-18-2015, 11:37 AM
Maturing Puffer Fish

Re: Who else goes 100% from the beginning?

I'm exactly like that. I am a very inexperienced pipe smoker, but already have three new, good quality briars and a dozen tobaccos. I'm pretty much like that with everything.

"When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. Stephen F. Roberts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 08-18-2015, 05:41 PM
Philosopher Extraordinai

Send a message via Yahoo to Gigmaster

I am a firm believer in Moderation. I seldom ever smoke more than 8 bowls a day.
Treeleaf likes this.
post #33 of 51 Old 08-21-2015, 04:55 PM
Young Puffer Fish

The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom. -- William Blake, Proverbs of Hell

post #34 of 51 Old 09-17-2015, 11:32 AM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSunfire View Post
I can totally relate to this thread. Maybe its due to my OCD or that I'm an anal-retentive perfectionist. Or my addictive personality in general. But I become obsessed with anything I get into.
OCD/Obsessive tendencies are no doubt the corner stone of this type of personality trait (all or nothing, black and white thinking, etc). These traits also appear to be quite common among tobacco users, due to the ritual and repetition involved with this hobby. I'm sure more individuals in here can relate to this type of thinking than would like to admit it.
post #35 of 51 Old 01-21-2016, 07:22 AM
Young Puffer Fish

I'm definitely like this, too. Although when it comes to money-draining things (like pipe smoking, potentially) I tend to be a little more cautious until I know I'll keep it up, simply because I'm on a tight student budget. Of course, then I channel my enthusiasm into doing copious amounts of research, watching videos on the topic, and...er...posting in related forums And I mean...hours of reading. Hours.

But yes, I throw myself in 100%, even when I'm just starting out with something.

(I know I'll keep up with pipe smoking, so I just splurged on a lovely leather pipe bag that holds 3 pipes, tobacco, and a tool/lighter/whatever else.)

"I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size)...I smoke a pipe...I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats." -J.R.R. Tolkien
post #36 of 51 Old 01-21-2016, 07:47 AM
CAT WRANGLER

Always had a o - 60 personality. When I partied I partied hard. When I bought a car, it was fast. And usually wrecked shortly thereafter. Unfortunately my fast car and partying phase over lapped. But with age I've throttled back. Except for cigars and now pipes. Fortunately it's alot cheaper than my bar tabs and totalled rides.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #37 of 51 Old 03-05-2016, 11:51 AM
Young Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo985 View Post
One of my "fatal character flaws" IMO, is that when I get into something new, I can't just "get my feet wet". I have to jump full into it, from the beginning. I start off by reading as much as I can, then move full steam from there.

I really like pickles; I started making and canning my own.

I'm a big fan of beer. Needless to say, I'm a homebrewer now.

I have 8 different types of radio control cars, yet they all do the same basic thing.

I've contemplated growing and roasting my own coffee, I'm still in the researching phase of that one.

I started to do the same since getting into smoking a pipe, but have kept a pretty good hold on myself, so far.

Looking in on myself, I could say that I have a "bit" of an obsessive personality..........
Does anyone else suffer from this malady? Do you combat it or just let it go? Do your friends do the same, like you surround yourself with likeminded people?
Anyone have some good stories relating to this?
Your not alone, I've been an excessive compulsive I think all my life.
Sadly started with drinking which I'm unable to do anymore. Then I went on to collecting everything to almost anything antique or vintage such as salt and pepper shakers, glass ware, furniture, vintage/antique small appliances, antique/vintage electric fans and other electrical items etc. Had a rooms full of them even model railroading. Now it's pipes and tobaccos and yes, a room full of them. I reckon there could be worse things, I'm not a hoarder in the sense that one can not enter my house because of it and I only collect one certain item at a time and, they always have resale value.
I was told by several friends my house looked like a museum but, I took it as a good thing. Nowadays I've seemed to curbed off from a lot of it with just the pipes and my cellar of tobaccos which only covers one room with room mind you to add. The pipes I make don't seem to collect much around here because thankfully they sell except the few I've decided to keep. So it's been roughly about 40 years of this see'en I started in my 20's and it hasn't killed me yet. But, I can see where it could get out of hand with others. I think what one needs to keep in mind is that all this is not more important then family, work and paying your bills on time. And I've never let it.
post #38 of 51 Old 07-02-2018, 02:59 PM
Puffer Fish with many spikes

I also have a habit of going full throttle into anything I get interested in. Back in the 90's when I started with Cigars, I went hog-wild, buying sticks, humis etc. Joined many BBs and Dalnet chat rooms. After that, I was hired to manage a Cigar shop in my town and was there 10 years. When I got into pipes I did the same thing and eventually started working for an online retailer full time. Then I got into Archery, same deal, had lots of bows, stated shooting competition and now run the Archery Dept at a local sporting good store (been here 10 years next month). My latest obsession is Metal Detecting - It's a sickness.
UBC03 and OneStrangeOne like this.
post #39 of 51 Old 07-02-2018, 03:15 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
I also have a habit of going full throttle into anything I get interested in. Back in the 90's when I started with Cigars, I went hog-wild, buying sticks, humis etc. Joined many BBs and Dalnet chat rooms. After that, I was hired to manage a Cigar shop in my town and was there 10 years. When I got into pipes I did the same thing and eventually started working for an online retailer full time. Then I got into Archery, same deal, had lots of bows, stated shooting competition and now run the Archery Dept at a local sporting good store (been here 10 years next month). My latest obsession is Metal Detecting - It's a sickness.

My wife would agree this describes to a T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OneStrangeOne likes this.

post #40 of 51 Old 07-02-2018, 09:16 PM
The Great Green One

Ya so I tried to take up piping back in 2014 and got too frustrated so I put it on hold. Then I took it back up about 3 months ago. This minus like 2 tins is all pipe tobacco I've picked up since March. I have a problem but it's a good one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1678.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	811.5 KB
ID:	222406  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page