new ebay scam - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 3Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 03-27-2014, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Puffer Leviathan

Exclamation new ebay scam

In just the past few months, a practice among unscrupulous buyers has seemingly grown exponentially. They must be sharing the trick with their friends or on internet forums, as the problem is getting completely out of hand. Evidently they have found that it's a way to get stuff without paying.

What they do is buy something (it's happening on ebay, etsy and other similar sites). Then contact the item's seller using hostile language that the item arrived and it REEKS (they always use that word) of NASTY cigarette smoke. They carry on about how allergic or sensitive they are to even a trace of smoke residue, and declare that they threw the item away because it was stinking up their home. They demand a refund but will not return the item.

Even non-smoking sellers are getting this, and since the ebay system favors the buyer, many are extorted into giving a full refund, including shipping costs, because negative buyer feedback can ruin a seller.

I know many of you don't smoke in your homes, but even you could fall victim to this. It is important in your listings to stipulate that whatever you sell "may have" come into contact with smoke (and I'd go as far as to add pet smells too), for your own protection. The presence of such a disclaimer may deter them, because they can't claim they weren't warned. A disclaimer might lose a few sales, but negative customer feedback could cost you a lot more.

Have any of you encountered this yet?

"Quite simply, my dear, tobacco is the greatest pleasure that we have ever discovered... I know of no other miracle like it in nature." -- Bela Lugosi, 1939
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-27-2014, 01:21 AM
Pipe'in Aint Easy

Re: new ebay scam

This is really low.

People will do anything to rip each other off...it's really disgusting. And of course Ebay doesn't track these kinds of complaints...otherwise they would catch on to the bulk of the complaints using the same excuses.

Luckily, I don't sell anything on Ebay. Only buy.

It's been nice, while it lasted.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-27-2014, 01:27 AM
Alpha Puffer Fish

Wow some people are just scumbags.
That's why I never used eBay or probably will ever use eBay. It's too risky to me.

post #4 of 13 Old 03-27-2014, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Puffer Leviathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branzig View Post
This is really low.

People will do anything to rip each other off...it's really disgusting. And of course Ebay doesn't track these kinds of complaints...otherwise they would catch on to the bulk of the complaints using the same excuses.

Luckily, I don't sell anything on Ebay. Only buy.
I am hoping that ebay catches on soon, and makes it part of their terms of service that anyone buying something "used" understands that there are absolutely no guarantees that an item has not come from a smoking environment. Think of all the people who inherit items from a recently deceased relative, or get things from estate sales or craigslist to resell on ebay. There's no way to know what old things have been exposed to. Moreover, there are a lot of postal carriers who smoke in their vehicles, and that can permeate packaging. People who have been selling on ebay since the 90s are suddenly getting these complaints out of the blue, so it's highly suspicious.

Ah well. One thing's for sure. The folks who sell estate pipes and other tobacciana probably don't have to deal with this. At least, I hope.

"Quite simply, my dear, tobacco is the greatest pleasure that we have ever discovered... I know of no other miracle like it in nature." -- Bela Lugosi, 1939
post #5 of 13 Old 03-27-2014, 01:42 AM
Covfefe

Aaack! This used pipe I bought reeks of smoke. I wanna refund! :biggrin1:

"Civility is an illusion; savagery is the default state of humanity."
- Quinlan
post #6 of 13 Old 03-27-2014, 09:19 AM
Puff Contest Czar

Have not heard of this scam. I did have two buyers that tried to get a discount from me after they received the items by claiming they were not as described. I am very fair in my grading of items I sell there as I want the same treatment from other sellers. Even though my listings stated no returns I offered them a full refund less shipping charges, both declined and instead asked to keep the items and told me I should refund their ****** accounts 25% of the price as compensation. I politely declined and expected both to flame me on my feedback, but neither commented. I don't know if this is a scam, but both buyers had offered me 25% less for the items on 2 separate occasions, prior to purchasing them at my asking price, and I denied their offers. The fact that it happened twice in a few weeks makes me wonder if its a new scam brewing. To an earlier point, sellers do not want negative feedback and many will do this to appease the buyer.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-27-2014, 09:25 AM
No longer a community member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Aaack! This used pipe I bought reeks of smoke. I wanna refund! :biggrin1:
LMAO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branzig View Post
This is really low.

People will do anything to rip each other off...it's really disgusting.
That pretty much sums it up.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-27-2014, 09:55 AM
True Derelict

I would think that by adding some sort of statement such as "Refunds only after item has been returned" would solve such problems.

I don't always drink beer,,,
OK, yes I do
post #9 of 13 Old 03-27-2014, 10:29 AM
Trust Me, I'm Not Lion

My brother sells on the bay regularly. He has a store and his own company, boxtruck, etc. as he does storage locker sales and auctions for the most part. He had a case of something sounding very similar to this. The person complained that the item was broken or non-working upon arrival, but then declared that they were so fed up, they threw it out, so they could not return it. The item was worth over $100 I'm pretty sure, so he didn't refund. He's super-sensitive about making things "right" as to avoid negative feedback, but I think he held his ground on this one. Not sure how it turned out, probably with the neg feedback, but I think he replied to the feedback and left a comment that "buyer refused to return item for refund - shipping costs were offered" or something like that. Can't give in to these animals, it only encourages them.

I <3 Cigars
Temporary Ban 30 days
post #10 of 13 Old 03-27-2014, 12:49 PM
Alpha Puffer Fish

This is . I don't walk into Walmart, buy a DVD, throw it away outside, then go back in demanding a refund. Once they have it, it's theirs. If they toss it, sucks for them. You can't get a refund without returning the product the money was exchanged for. EBay is encouraging this inappropriate behavior. I don't care if it smells like a rotten egg was smoking a Gurkha filled with my dog's breakfast. If you don't return the product, then money shouldn't be returned to you.

To smoke is human; to smoke cigars, divine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page