Ask a Pipe Guy - Page 3 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 1601 Old 08-06-2008, 01:39 AM

Great thread Scott. I'm subscribed, tuned in and takin notes! Thanks to all for the great comments so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 1601 Old 08-06-2008, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
I need a beer

I'm glad that everyone is finding this thread helpful. Come on, there's got to be more questions out there.

Do Not Fear Death, Fear the Half-Lived Life
post #23 of 1601 Old 08-06-2008, 01:20 PM

Okay, I don't mean to hoard the thread, but I will go ahead anyway. Will my torch lighter work for lighting the tobacco or should I go to matches or a standard flame lighter?

post #24 of 1601 Old 08-06-2008, 01:31 PM

Ohh Ohh me me I got a question!!! I was talking with webby when we got our chance to hang out together (which was a lot of fun) and we both mentioned that we tend to smoke our pipes more in the winter. My question is, is this a normal practice? I just find myself craving a pipe more when it is freezing outside plus (I know this part is the biggest reason) I mostly smoke aromatics (except because of crazy ass FJ I am liking lat too) so my fiancée doesn't seem to mind if I have a small bowl in the house. I have lit up a bowl a couple of times this summer but the mystique just isn’t there and I know I still enjoy smoking the pipe so the best I can figure is that it is psychologically a seasonal thing.
post #25 of 1601 Old 08-06-2008, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
I need a beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsdb View Post
Okay, I don't mean to hoard the thread, but I will go ahead anyway. Will my torch lighter work for lighting the tobacco or should I go to matches or a standard flame lighter?
DO NOT EVER AND I MEAN EVER, USE YOUR TORCH LIGHTER ON A PIPE!!! Torch lighters will scorch your pipe as they are not able to withstand the heat and flame that is put out by a torch lighter. You have to use matches or a soft flame lighter like a Zippo.

post #26 of 1601 Old 08-06-2008, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
I need a beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolhandk View Post
Ohh Ohh me me I got a question!!! I was talking with webby when we got our chance to hang out together (which was a lot of fun) and we both mentioned that we tend to smoke our pipes more in the winter. My question is, is this a normal practice? I just find myself craving a pipe more when it is freezing outside plus (I know this part is the biggest reason) I mostly smoke aromatics (except because of crazy ass FJ I am liking lat too) so my fiancée doesn't seem to mind if I have a small bowl in the house. I have lit up a bowl a couple of times this summer but the mystique just isn’t there and I know I still enjoy smoking the pipe so the best I can figure is that it is psychologically a seasonal thing.
No, I think that it is normal for many reasons. I started out this way as well. Mine was more of a fact that I was busier in the summer and didn't have time to sit down and smoke a pipe. A cigar was more mobile and could go with me wherever I was going. I still usually smoke aromatics in the winter along with the heavier Latakia blends. Summer is usually Virginias and VaPer blends.

post #27 of 1601 Old 08-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

it seems to me that the taste of cigars really suffers when smoking in a cold environment, is this not the same for pipe tobaccos?
post #28 of 1601 Old 08-06-2008, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
I need a beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejh View Post
it seems to me that the taste of cigars really suffers when smoking in a cold environment, is this not the same for pipe tobaccos?
I don't think so but then again I live on the coast of North Carolina. We don't get much snow here in the winter and it very rarely gets way below freezing. I usually smoke in the garage in the winter where it's cold but not too bad.

My only thoughts would be that it wouldn't be as drastic because the tobacco is inside a container (the pipe) that heats up and stays warm the whole time that you are smoking it. You don't have that with a cigar.

post #29 of 1601 Old 08-06-2008, 10:33 PM
Elder Berry

Made this a sticky for you all. Scott, this is great stuff. I got to learn a ton already... perhaps sometime in the future, I will jump into the cool "pipe" end of the pool

CD

I SMOKE cigars.
post #30 of 1601 Old 08-07-2008, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
I need a beer

Thanks Chris!! Let me know when you're ready to come over to the dark side. Ask Webby how I tore him up when he first started with the pipe.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
guy, pipe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page