Storing pipe tobacco - Page 2 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 46 Old 02-27-2014, 12:21 AM
Dumb Fish

Re: Storing pipe tobacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsefeathers View Post
I've got some jars on order. Mind letting me know how you did the labels?
For sure, always glad to help! I've had this question before.

I used the Avery Round 2" Jar Labels that can be found at Walmart:
Avery 22807 Print-to-the-Edge White Round Labels, Glossy, 2" diameter, 120 Labels/Pack: Office : Walmart.com

They work well with both laser and inkjet printers and don't smear if you give them about 10 minutes to cure.

I got the template for the stickers at the Avery website here:
Templates - Print-to-the-Edge Round Labels, 12 per sheet | Avery

I actually bought the jars at Walmart too. Here in Fort Wayne the 12-pack of 4oz Ball jars was $8, and the 12-pack of 8oz Ball jars was $9.

For the template itself I used a font called Quill Perpendicular Regular for the brand and Bebas Neue for the information below it. I'm a huge font nerd, so it literally takes me 30 minutes each time I make something to choose the right fonts. Those are two of my favorites for "fancy" looking designs :mrgreen:.

Let me know if you need any more info!

Everything I say should be read in a sarcastic manner first. If the sarcasm makes no sense, read it as if I'm drunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 46 Old 02-27-2014, 12:24 AM
Dumb Fish

Also, there is a trick to applying the stickers...

Hold the stickers between your middle finger and thumb (on the very outside edges) and lower it toward the jar lid as if you were just going to drop it straight on to it. When you have it lined up perfectly, slowly push your thumb and middle finger together, folding the label until the middle almost touches the jar lid in the exact middle of the lid. Then push the middle down using your other hand and begin to smooth it toward the edges!

Everything I say should be read in a sarcastic manner first. If the sarcasm makes no sense, read it as if I'm drunk.
post #13 of 46 Old 02-27-2014, 08:16 AM
Full grown Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04EDGE40 View Post
For sure, always glad to help! I've had this question before.

I used the Avery Round 2" Jar Labels that can be found at Walmart:
Avery 22807 Print-to-the-Edge White Round Labels, Glossy, 2" diameter, 120 Labels/Pack: Office : Walmart.com

They work well with both laser and inkjet printers and don't smear if you give them about 10 minutes to cure.

I got the template for the stickers at the Avery website here:
Templates - Print-to-the-Edge Round Labels, 12 per sheet | Avery

I actually bought the jars at Walmart too. Here in Fort Wayne the 12-pack of 4oz Ball jars was $8, and the 12-pack of 8oz Ball jars was $9.

For the template itself I used a font called Quill Perpendicular Regular for the brand and Bebas Neue for the information below it. I'm a huge font nerd, so it literally takes me 30 minutes each time I make something to choose the right fonts. Those are two of my favorites for "fancy" looking designs :mrgreen:.

Let me know if you need any more info!
Awesome, thanks so much for the write up!

post #14 of 46 Old 02-27-2014, 08:58 AM
No longer a community member.

I keep all my "sample" baggies in Sterilite locktight containers based on type (aros, English, VA/Burley). If it is two ounce of bulk, or more, it gets jarred. Tins are jarred when they are cracked open.
post #15 of 46 Old 02-27-2014, 09:29 AM
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!

Quote:
Plus Ball jars looking freaking awesome!

Wow nice job i have a small collection a dozen jars just like yours. Now i know how to make nice labels. Instead of the marker to write on top. Very nice as mine sit on a table out in the open. Thanks for sharing! Bump for ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Dear Lord Thank you for your protection and your many signs along the way. Thank you for any good that I may have done, I'm so sorry about the bad."- Eli
post #16 of 46 Old 02-27-2014, 09:33 AM
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmcdill View Post
Here's some useful info:
Pipe Tobacco Storage - Tobacco
Very nice read but i disagree with the don't add a slice of apple if your baccy dries out. A Real FOG taught me that trick long ago and it works like a dream.

"Dear Lord Thank you for your protection and your many signs along the way. Thank you for any good that I may have done, I'm so sorry about the bad."- Eli
post #17 of 46 Old 02-27-2014, 10:55 AM
Alpha Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBrooklyn View Post
Very nice read but i disagree with the don't add a slice of apple if your baccy dries out. A Real FOG taught me that trick long ago and it works like a dream.
That sound's pretty interesting.

Also can used jars, such as pickle, salsa, jam, and whatnot, be used to store pipe tobacco?
post #18 of 46 Old 02-27-2014, 11:14 AM
Dumb Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar-Enthusiast View Post

Also can used jars, such as pickle, salsa, jam, and whatnot, be used to store pipe tobacco?
I don't know why not! If you soak them or run them through the dishwasher there shouldn't be any remaining scents or flavors to taint the tobacco. But I've never tried it, so don't blame me if you have a new VaPickle tobacco!

post #19 of 46 Old 02-27-2014, 11:17 AM
Alpha Puffer Fish

Quote:
I don't know why not! If you soak them or run them through the dishwasher there shouldn't be any remaining scents or flavors to taint the tobacco. But I've never tried it, so don't blame me if you have a new VaPickle tobacco!
Gotcha. Think I'm gonna go for salsa jars since I prefer their taste.
ink:
post #20 of 46 Old 02-27-2014, 11:56 AM
No longer a community member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar-Enthusiast View Post

Those jars are not meant to be resealed. The rubber under the lid degrades when washed. Just use mason jars and if you want to re-use them, spring for a $5/dozen box of new lids. It's a small investment to ensure your baccy is kept well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page