7Likes
  • 4 Post By Sid.Stavros
  • 1 Post By ebnash
  • 2 Post By JohnBrody15

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 01-09-2018, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Golden Ratio in a smoking pipe

This is a video from a friend of mine, Kostas Gourvelos which creates often pipes based in the Golden Ratio, you can hear him telling the details in english:

I post this video for information purposes only, i am not a middleman propoting anyone, i just want to show you what kind of pipes he creates in Greece based in mathematics and engineering with an "artistic" touch. I hope that you will like it and will gine an inspiration to those who make smoking pipes.

My Blog: http://Pipe-smoke.blogspot.com
Μy Youtube channel: tinyurl.com/p3lzsuk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-14-2018, 01:32 AM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Sid, your friend's pipes are very artistic and beautifully made. But positioning the bowl part way along the axis of the stem to make it conform to the golden ratio strikes my eye as less natural and balanced than positioning the bowl at the end. Maybe it's just that I've been conditioned to think that pipes should be shaped this way and I need to be more open-minded but pipes are both aesthetic and utilitarian and having the stem project past the bowl makes a pipe more awkward to use. Just the 2 cents of a guy with no craftsman or mathematical talent.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-14-2018, 01:36 AM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Very interesting, Sid. Thanks for sharing.
Sid.Stavros likes this.

Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

post #4 of 4 Old 01-14-2018, 02:50 AM
Alpha Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
Sid, your friend's pipes are very artistic and beautifully made. But positioning the bowl part way along the axis of the stem to make it conform to the golden ratio strikes my eye as less natural and balanced than positioning the bowl at the end. Maybe it's just that I've been conditioned to think that pipes should be shaped this way and I need to be more open-minded but pipes are both aesthetic and utilitarian and having the stem project past the bowl makes a pipe more awkward to use. Just the 2 cents of a guy with no craftsman or mathematical talent.
It's an interesting concept to design a pipe using the golden ratio. Plus, because of what the golden ratio is, it begs you to evaluate the pipe, to see if it's aesthetically pleasing, and what parts, if any, aren't. Like I wonder if the size of the bowl is factored into the equation?

With that said, the pipes are beautiful and unique, and obviously finely crafted. And maybe the overall look of the pipe is derived from the native American Indian peace pipe which tended to have the bowl slightly behind the end of the stem. And then the pipe maker tweaked things using the golden ratio. Again, very cool concept overall and the video was nicely done as well.
Piper and Sid.Stavros like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page