• 1 Post By Mark in wi
  • 3 Post By OneStrangeOne
  • 1 Post By UBC03
  • 1 Post By Mark in wi

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-07-2018, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Full grown Puffer Fish

How to clean a meerschaum pipe?

I'm venturing over from the cigar side where I'm a noob there too. I have an old meerschaum pipe that I bought 30 years ago when I was doing the "buckskin rendezvous" thing with my scout leader. Be nice now; back then I just stored my pipe in the pack of Captin Black gold that I had. As I got older and my 'skinnin stuff got set aside in the basement I kinda forgot about it. I took a look at it the other day and the tobacco was a little fuzzy and I'm not sure if I can safely clean the pipe. I'm not an everyday puffer, more like the once in awhile type. But I thought my pipe might be nice for those times after work when time is short but I still want to relax. That's when I thought it would be nice to break out the old pipe and try it again. I didn't spend much time looking at the pipe just knew it had a little fuzzy stuff in it and it was made in England. Is it possible to save it without going overboard?
Thanks,
Mark

Grumpy...It's not just an attitude, it's a way of life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-07-2018, 12:22 AM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

I'm no expert on meerschaum but you could probably clean it with water and maybe even dish detergent and water until you're happy that it's really clean. Let it dry. Then smoke it.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-07-2018, 12:38 AM
Puffer Fish with many spikes

Lightly clean/ream it out, if you have any alcoholic beverages, put some on a Qtip and swab out the bowl. Next, clean the stem and shank with same alcohol on a few pipe cleaners. Careful not to get any on the bowl, meers are typically are coated in beeswax and it can become blotchy when warm. Smoke it.

“It’s just gone eight o’clock and time for the penguin on top of your television set to explode.”

post #4 of 9 Old 09-07-2018, 07:36 AM
Retired Chaos Designer

Wash it with hot water only! Alcohol can cause it to soften up and pit. If you have to do anything to the chamber be careful as it can leave score marks, a higher grit sandpaper (220 + with a very light touch) is probably the safest.
Piper likes this.

If I see a stick that made a noob nic sick,I put it on my list as a must try. (UBC03)
post #5 of 9 Old 09-08-2018, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Full grown Puffer Fish

Thanks! I'll try the hot soapy water and see how it looks. That particular pipe didn't have much use since it was a replacement for one that broke. Both were nothing fancy but just and nice and small, good for camping.
Piper likes this.

post #6 of 9 Old 09-08-2018, 11:03 PM
Retired Chaos Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in wi View Post
Thanks! I'll try the hot soapy water and see how it looks. That particular pipe didn't have much use since it was a replacement for one that broke. Both were nothing fancy but just and nice and small, good for camping.
You can use soap on the stem but I don’t know if I would use it on the Meercham itself, you might end up with a new flavor of tobacco!
Piper, UBC03 and jmt8706 like this.

If I see a stick that made a noob nic sick,I put it on my list as a must try. (UBC03)
post #7 of 9 Old 09-09-2018, 01:54 PM
CAT WRANGLER

Be careful.. They're very easy to turn into a wall hanger..

If it's been used, be VERY careful removing the stem. Some have bone tenons. This is not a forgiving material.. I've replaced a couple. Some not so successfully.

After you clean it rub some warm beeswax on it.. Most suggest dipping, but if you've ever tried it, it's a pita..

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Piper likes this.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #8 of 9 Old 09-27-2018, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Full grown Puffer Fish

Well here is a pick after a hot water bath with just a touch of dish soap. The nickel is just for size reference.

How to clean a meerschaum pipe?-image.jpg

I'll let them dry a day or two then maybe give them a try.

post #9 of 9 Old 10-11-2018, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Full grown Puffer Fish

Well I finally had the chance to get the old pipes out and gave one a try. I had picked up a pouch of Captain Black Gold just like I had years ago and enjoyed a bowl. Still smells and tastes good. I think I’ll have to let the pouch sit open for a day or two and let things dry out a little. I had to relight quite a few times and I try to remember how to pack things again. This lasted about the right time for night when I don’t have the time for a cigar but still what to get out and relax.

It was nice to get the old pipe out and I’d like to say thanks for the tips to get it cleaned up.

Mark
OneStrangeOne likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page