What is your favorite budget lighter AND can I use an plasma lighter? - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 11-27-2018, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
404: TITLE NOT FOUND

Question What is your favorite budget lighter AND can I use an plasma lighter?

Dunno if I should have broken this into two threads, but anyway:

First, I'm thinking about upgrading lighters. I bought a Zippo and put a torch insert in it for cigars and I have been using the regular Zippo insert for pipe lighting. I really don't mind the flavor too much, but the evaporation of the fuel is really annoying since I don't smoke my pipe all that often (plus constantly needing to swap inserts adds another step too); so I'm planning on buying a cheap lighter specifically for pipes.

What budget lighters would you recommend then? Under 30$ is a must, and under 20$ would be really nice, though I guess quality is a factor to take into consideration also.

---

Second, can I use a plasma lighter on a pipe like the image below?

I know that too much heat will damage a bowl, but a plasma lighter seems focused. Anybody else tried this? For reference, I have a metal pipe and a corn cob pipe. Both are budget pipes, but I'd still hate to damage them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-27-2018, 03:21 PM
No longer a community member.

For cigars i use a $10 Vertigo triple, and when im piping.... Flick my Bic baby!! May not be ultra pretty... But totally functional, and it totally frees up cigar funds
post #3 of 15 Old 11-27-2018, 07:30 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

I'm with @Dran on that. I Have triple torch vertigo that is my favorite, and a ronson single jet I use for corrections if needed, for cigars. For pipes a bic works great, but if you want a lighter that works great and is designed for pipes, Mr brog makes a copy of an corona old boy, that I believe is 15 bucks. It works great.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

post #4 of 15 Old 11-27-2018, 07:39 PM
CAT WRANGLER

BIC - $1.69

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #5 of 15 Old 11-27-2018, 11:42 PM
No longer a community member.

I'm gonna have to remember to get a pic of the novelty lighter I got from my grandpa and post it. I say novelty because imo it's too small to be practical.

Sent from somewhere on the road.
Ranger0282 likes this.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-29-2018, 01:10 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

What is your favorite budget lighter AND can I use an plasma lighter?

I have an old plastic refillable pipe lighter thatís my best. I like my Xikar Scribe too, when it works. I need to keep it very clean. Even with the best fluids it gets carbon build up. Itís why Iíve stopped using Zippos inserts.

A good disposable BIC lighter works just fine. You should always have one in the house. Same with some good matches.

That triple torch Vertigo has never let me down for cigars and itís been dunked about 10 different times over the years and the rice in a ziplock bag always brings it back to full usage. Heat budget cigar lighter.

I would pass on ST DuPont. Overpriced and hot as hell no matter the mini jet or the maxi jet. Sure they are pretty though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Gringo Alto y El fumador de muchos pudos! -my Nica description.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-29-2018, 02:04 PM
Just monkeyin' around!

Sorry Dave, but I have to LOL at the ST Dupont comment. Maxijets (along with Defi and Minijet) are fantastic, probably the best single-jet torch made and worth every penny. I own two of them, along with a couple of dozen other lighters, and they are the best I've ever tried... not that they belong in a discussion of budget lighters anyway, especially pipe lighters.

As for that, Vertigo makes several styles of side-exit soft-flame pipe lighters in the $15-$20-ish range. I think that's what I'd go for if I needed an inexpensive pipe lighter. Consider those a stop-gap while you save up for an IM Corona Old Boy, though, pretty much the pinnacle in pipe lighters (again, not that IMC's belong in a discussion of budget lighters).

Not sure the plasma thing would work out so well. Just not sure you can draw on them like a soft-flame lighter or direct the heat like a jet-flame torch. Seeing the way many of them are made it's clear they're meant for direct contact with the end of a cigarette. I guess it's somewhat possible to light a cigar with one, but it looks like it would be a big PITA.
bpegler, Piper, Rondo and 3 others like this.

I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time. - Mark Twain

Last edited by curmudgeonista; 11-29-2018 at 07:47 PM.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-07-2018, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
404: TITLE NOT FOUND

Thanks everyone. Just a day or two ago I came across a 1$ peanut lighter (basically a tiny zippo that does not evaporate nearly as fast). If I do not end up using much that I may end up going with either a Mr Brog or Vertigo lighter as recommended, both seem like decent lighters.

As for the matches and Bics, I actually get free matches on occasion from the cigar store I frequent, though since I smoke outside I end up going through like a half a box of matches per bowl of tobacco (a combination of clumsiness and wind). As for the bics, even though they are probably the most economical part of me is convinced that if I spend 15$ on a decent lighter and then 4$ per 72ml bottle of butane that I will save money in the long run; and otherwise I just like the vanity of a nice lighter.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-10-2019, 01:41 PM
Newbie in the ocean

Tried a buddy's 'soft flame' butane lighter and was quite nice indoors. Have seen several of these Colibri copied design lighters in the $10 to $30 range, but he mentioned that they weren't effective outside with good breeze or wind. I'm still a wood match guy at home, and just ordered a zippo to try for when I'm outside. Normally just use a bic lighter when outside the house.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-10-2019, 02:11 PM
CAT WRANGLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintDragon View Post
Tried a buddy's 'soft flame' butane lighter and was quite nice indoors. Have seen several of these Colibri copied design lighters in the $10 to $30 range, but he mentioned that they weren't effective outside with good breeze or wind. I'm still a wood match guy at home, and just ordered a zippo to try for when I'm outside. Normally just use a bic lighter when outside the house.
You won't regret ordering the zippo pipe lighter. Best 15$ I ever spent on the pipe side.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Cigary and swmalone78 like this.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page