Radiator pipes - Page 2 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 02-28-2019, 06:26 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankjr View Post
I had a look at the video. It's actually quite poignant. The inventor of radiator pipes, Hector Wiebe, mentions that his son had to receive a heart transplant after an extended period of illness. Very sad. I hope the boy has been well since then but organ transplants are a very big deal with many complications. So many human stories inside the specialized world of piping. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, KD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 02-28-2019, 06:52 PM
Retired Chaos Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
Nathan, despite your Puff handle, you are not strange. This is what Greg Pease says later in the same article:

Body chemistry also seems to play a significant role. The same tobaccos that will cause one person significant distress can be a source of bliss to another. And, our mouth's environmental factors change over time, and react to things like what we eat and what we drink. Unfortunately, it's not simple. I've never known a tobacco that "never bit" 100% of the people 100% of the time.

If there's anyone whose opinion is as valid as Greg Pease's it's gotta be you!
Iíll take a look at the article this evening, Iíve read a lot of what Mr Pease has to say on the subject and look forward to reading more.
Jankjr and Piper like this.

If I see a stick that made a noob nic sick,I put it on my list as a must try. (UBC03)
post #13 of 19 Old 02-28-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
No longer a community member.

The dry smoke appeals to me more than a cool smoke. I've never burned my tongue on "hot" smoke, but i have had tobacco water in my mouth more than i care to admit. I do like the look, so a Falcon kit is probably in my future, working up to a wiebe if i like the way metal smokes!

Sent from my LGL83BL using Tapatalk

post #14 of 19 Old 03-01-2019, 03:49 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

I've no experience with pipes of that type, however muttonchop has a good video on one of his, and I trust the info he gives on things, as I've tested and used much of his advice. They seem pretty cool to me, especially the falcons.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk
Jankjr, Piper and Dran like this.
post #15 of 19 Old 03-01-2019, 07:14 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Iíll never be partaking in the Metal works. Iím sure there are advantages and disadvantages. The mouth, like the entire GI system is so complex. Dogs can lick wounds if there is no water to flush a wound. Not because they are free from microbes but unlike humans and many creatures they secrete to digesting chemicals in their saliva. Humans have some of the nastiest mouths and compare to things like Komodo dragons whose bite while non-venomous, Iíd filled with serious digestive enzymes and plenty of bad flora and fauna.

However because we are omnivores and take supplements and medications. The pH and mouth enzymes can change very quickly. I know I canít chew certain types of gum as my mouth enzymes just dissolve most goes of bubblegum. GERD/reflux and the pharmaceutical anti acids, not just the chalky substances really change our gut flora and fauna, especially sugar substitutes. We donít know the overall effect this has but itís unlikely good. Most of your complex neurological transmitters are actually produced as waste by the microbes in the large intestine. We may have more depression because of massive use of antibiotics and systemic antifungals medications and or herbs with the same powers.

H-pylori, which is responsible for peptic ulcers when it gets out of balance is actually a good digestive bacteria but because of so much antibiotic use few children as many adults donít even have this bacteria present in their GI system and this leads to serious decreases in serotonin and other stuff.

I know that most heavy metals are easily absorbed through the mouth and GI. While iron and basic carbon steel is okay, elements like nickel are highly toxic much like too much copper. Itís being reduced in indoor potable water plumbing even though itís anti fungal properties get the nasty sludge from coating your pipes. Copper is known as noisy pipes. Steel, especially non stainless fists and iron bacteria arises and PVC which is most common these days folks with fungal sludge to the point that your pipes pass little water from your main.

Aluminum is another metal that shouldnít be in your body in any form. Why we put acidic beverages into aluminum cans is scary. Then add in aspartame. Both aluminum and aspertame in higher doses have direct links to dementia and increased Alzheimerís and Parkinsonís. Zinc is fairly safe at lower levels so iron minus nickel but with a touch of zinc and a slight bit of chromium wouldnít be so bad in piping. Remember that we heat up the moist gases. This is one reason I like Meerschaum and the Peterson systems that dry out moist tobacco oxidation or combustion.

So I would research my metals a bit more before using them to smoke through. While crackheads and methmouths are known for using glass the worst that can happen is silicosis. Itís a bad restrictive lung disease common to glass blowers. But itís minimal considering what they do all day.

Yikes. TMI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Gringo Alto y El fumador de muchos pudos! -my Nica description.
post #16 of 19 Old 03-01-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Well, i love you Dave, but you certainly know how to kill a buzz! i know it comes from a place of concern! But im sure the 3 years I spent sanding aluminium window frames with little more than a particulate mask caused me to ingest far more aluminum than smoking a wooden bowl, which is where the heat is, once or twice a week could cause in several years. Especially since I don't plan on chewing on the frame! Don't change brother! Your seminars are always enjoyable and more often than not very educational.

Jankjr, OneStrangeOne and Peapaw like this.
post #17 of 19 Old 03-03-2019, 02:46 PM
Alpha Puffer Fish

Fascinating concept for a pipe. I've see the metal pipes, but I never really looked into them, I thought it was just a style thing. I'd be thinking mostly about the cooling factor. I figure if you smoke like a train you're gonna burn your mouth. I've done that many times. The latakia is so good that I'm puffing away, trying to get that next taste, and wammo, the pipe is hot, the tobacco is ashy, and my tongue is burned. (Yet, I've been smoking a lot of Ennerdale, paying attention to cadence, not heating up the pipe, and my tongue is kinda messed up.....hmmm)

Anyway, the radiator pipe would be really interesting to try. I wonder how much cooler the smoke is, and if it's noticeable. I'm sure you'd still need to pay attention to cadence, because you don't want to oversmoke the tobacco in the bowl, and end up pulling nasty smoke into the radiator. Then you just have cool, nasty smoke.

I'd be curious to hear how things go.
Jankjr and Dran like this.
post #18 of 19 Old 03-03-2019, 04:35 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dran View Post
Well, i love you Dave, but you certainly know how to kill a buzz! i know it comes from a place of concern! But im sure the 3 years I spent sanding aluminium window frames with little more than a particulate mask caused me to ingest far more aluminum than smoking a wooden bowl, which is where the heat is, once or twice a week could cause in several years. Especially since I don't plan on chewing on the frame! Don't change brother! Your seminars are always enjoyable and more often than not very educational.

No problem. I give the warnings. Itís not like we all havenít done the jobs that probably have taken time off our lives. When 15, polishing jewelry we wore safety glasses and had a air evacuation system, but I didnít think about wearing a mask. I would come out and my apron would be coated with jewelry polish: tripoli, yellow, rouge and occasionally green for stainless.
At lunch I would blow my nose and the nastiest powdered stuff would come out. I would cough it up for a good 10 minutes.

That canít have been good. As my FIL says, I donít get a lead paint certification because Iím sure I housed that are 80+ years old that thereís leaded paint. Iím in my 70s. What that knowledge going to do.

Itís kind of like inhaling depleted uranium if you were in the field, in the sand and near any firing range. Sure, itís safe. It may be minimally radioactive, but itís far from safe.

Still Iíll take an Apache coming in to help out any day, especially in support of medivac helicopters.

Life is 100% lethal over time. Iíve never met a 100 year old person that was moving around like they were 30. My grandfathers inhaled enough coal dust, where one had to have a lung removed. It didnít kill him though.

Enjoy the radiator pipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dran likes this.

El Gringo Alto y El fumador de muchos pudos! -my Nica description.
post #19 of 19 Old 03-03-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Great thing about that grinding job and and the weld station set up right next to it, is that aluminum is also contributor to dementia, which hits my family hard anyways... So ill be too loopy to give two craps im dying!!

Champagne InHand likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page