Radiator pipes - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 02-28-2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
No longer a community member.

Radiator pipes

So, in my endless paid web searching I have come across these several times. In concept it seems like an ingenious idea! Anybody have any hands on time with these? If they smome well i might invest some of my tax return on one, but its a bit pricy for a blind purchase. I've watched several YouTube videos of guys reviewing them... But I dont know them well enough to trust them!

Sent from my LGL83BL using Tapatalk
Piper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-28-2019, 12:15 PM

Interesting. I had to look it up.
Piper and Dran like this.
post #3 of 19 Old 02-28-2019, 01:07 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

post #4 of 19 Old 02-28-2019, 01:20 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Personally, I'm considering the Falcon system with a meerschaum bowl as a first foray into metal.
Piper, curmudgeonista and Dran like this.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-28-2019, 03:06 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

I've seen metal from tsuge, nording, drew estate, falcon and the radiator pipes...I'm not much of a clencher I tend to hold so these never seemed appealing cuz I assume they burn insanely hot!!
post #6 of 19 Old 02-28-2019, 04:27 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

I'm not sure how much smoke-cooling advantage a radiator pipe really confers. That's the premise, right? I never find smoke too hot even in a nose burner with a very short stem. According to Greg Pease (as best as I can recall), tongue bite is the result of very alkaline tobacco not hot smoke, or steam from moist tobacco. Of course, if you think radiators are cool-looking (as opposed to cool-smoking), then that's another matter.
Jankjr, OneStrangeOne and Dran like this.
post #7 of 19 Old 02-28-2019, 05:01 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

I thought I'd give a reference for the Greg Pease comment on tongue bite. Here is the source. And here is a relevant excerpt from that note:

Tongue “bite” is a response to smoke with a higher pH (more alkaline) than the mouth and tongue are used to. Some tobaccos, notably burleys, contain a high percentage of nitrogenous compounds, and produce a more alkaline smoke. The dreaded “burley curse” often results. Tobacco producers will work to mitigate this by adding sugars to the casing sauces. Sugars, when burned, actually acidify the smoke, resulting in less “bite.” Virginia tobaccos are often blended with burleys to perform the same function.
post #8 of 19 Old 02-28-2019, 05:50 PM
Retired Chaos Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
I thought I'd give a reference for the Greg Pease comment on tongue bite. Here is the source. And here is a relevant excerpt from that note:

Tongue “bite” is a response to smoke with a higher pH (more alkaline) than the mouth and tongue are used to. Some tobaccos, notably burleys, contain a high percentage of nitrogenous compounds, and produce a more alkaline smoke. The dreaded “burley curse” often results. Tobacco producers will work to mitigate this by adding sugars to the casing sauces. Sugars, when burned, actually acidify the smoke, resulting in less “bite.” Virginia tobaccos are often blended with burleys to perform the same function.
Hmmm, so I guess this means not only am I strange, my body chemistry is backwards?
I don’t get any bite from Burley unless it has red Virginia in it. I have a Love/Hate thing with red Va’s, I love the taste but it tears my mouth up.
Jankjr, Piper and Dran like this.

If I see a stick that made a noob nic sick,I put it on my list as a must try. (UBC03)
post #9 of 19 Old 02-28-2019, 06:12 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneStrangeOne View Post
Hmmm, so I guess this means not only am I strange, my body chemistry is backwards?
I don’t get any bite from Burley unless it has red Virginia in it. I have a Love/Hate thing with red Va’s, I love the taste but it tears my mouth up.
Nathan, despite your Puff handle, you are not strange. This is what Greg Pease says later in the same article:

Body chemistry also seems to play a significant role. The same tobaccos that will cause one person significant distress can be a source of bliss to another. And, our mouth's environmental factors change over time, and react to things like what we eat and what we drink. Unfortunately, it's not simple. I've never known a tobacco that "never bit" 100% of the people 100% of the time.

If there's anyone whose opinion is as valid as Greg Pease's it's gotta be you!
Jankjr, Champagne InHand and Dran like this.
post #10 of 19 Old 02-28-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post

Thanks for posting that! Very good info.
Jankjr, Piper and OneStrangeOne like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page