Pipe Bit Protection - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-25-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Pipe Bit Protection

A year ago, I started using softee bits on most of my pipes. It took a little getting used to but eventually I found them to be pretty good at softening the feel of acrylic stems and preventing toothmarks. Unfortunately, they also marred some of my vulcanite stems—something pointed out by Dino @UBC03.

On another forum, I read a thread by an esteemed pipe collector about stem protection. He went through a number of films/membranes but ended up with TapeCase TC790 Dry Vinyl Tape. The advantage of this tape is that there is no glue to gum up your bit. It wraps around your stem like plumber's teflon tape. You wrap it around three times and dispose of it after you smoke the pipe.

The first pipe I used it on was this Baldi bent apple. It's a very heavy pipe with a wide, but flat bit. The tape unravelled a bit but otherwise stayed put well enough to allow me to clench comfortably. It also protected the acrylic from chatter. I wrapped it poorly—I can feel the ridges of the tape but there is no taste and the pipe doesn't bounce in my jaw as it does with softees. Next time I use this tape, I'm going to fully overlap it, instead of partly overlapping it like a baseball bat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0529.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	242584  

Name:	IMG_0530.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	242586  

Jankjr, cory1984, Matt_21 and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-25-2019, 11:07 PM
Į\_(ツ)_/Į

Interesting, I'll pick some of that tape up and try it out. I rarely clench while smoking but I do try to keep chatter off my stems.
Matt_21 and OneStrangeOne like this.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-25-2019, 11:12 PM
Retired Chaos Designer

Nice! Is that the bondage tape? 👍

If I see a stick that made a noob nic sick,I put it on my list as a must try. (UBC03)

post #4 of 15 Old 03-25-2019, 11:47 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

I still donít mind electrical tape or even a softee as long as I remove every few weeks. With a softee I can see how these can dry one to the vulcanite. Just add a bit of warm water and break the seal and then slide back and forth and remove it. I have some paste from Decatur that can be used but I havenít had to open it. The only stem with a good amount of oxidation is the Charatan I use twice every day. I donít use anything on its stem. Same for my Rinaldo that is used daily.

Of course piping more a d more from acrylic stem from Meerschaum, Iíve learned to hold the pipe by the bowl and I donít clench nearly as much. When I walk the dog, which hasnít been as often this Winter as it should I donít mind using a Peterson which Iíve burnt up pretty good and the stem has some marks. Nobody else will be salvaging that pipe.

But itís always good to have options. Pipes can be just as hard on your teeth as your teeth are on them. Teeth are way more expensive to fix a d it replace. Just try to keep that in mind while puffing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Piper, cory1984, Scap and 1 others like this.

El Gringo Alto y El fumador de muchos pudos! -my Nica description.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-26-2019, 02:28 AM
Alpha Puffer Fish

About two hours ago I nicked off a tiny chip on my tooth from clenching. I have two pipes with softees but I haven't checked if they've damaged the stems. If that vinyl tape works, I might give it a shot. Thanks for the heads up.
Jankjr, cory1984, Matt_21 and 2 others like this.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-25-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

I've been using the TapeCase TC790 Dry Vinyl Tape for a month now on a lot of my pipes, especially the ones with vulcanite stems, stems that are hard to get softees off and on, and new pipes. I have to say, the vinyl tape works really well. I cut off about five inches and wrap it around the stem before filling the bowl. I try to overlap the button and keep the tape as smooth as possible. I don't try to stretch the tape, just wind it around the bit snuggly. With the vinyl tape in place, I can clench the pipe comfortably. It gives just the right amount of padding for my teeth and protects the stem without that bouncy, rubbery, bulky feeling of a softee. After smoking the pipe, I remove the tape easily and wipe off any moisture that has gotten underneath. The tape has no taste, feels very similar to the material of the stem itself, leaves no residue and prevents toothmarks. This stuff is dirt cheap and, IMHO, is definitely worth trying.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-25-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

These pictures are the best I could do with my iPhone. They're not that good but they illustrate the fact that the tape lies comfortably flat yet still has enough cushioning to show tooth marks (that don't go through to the stem).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0666.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	989.9 KB
ID:	245666  

Name:	IMG_0662.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	245668  

Name:	IMG_0665.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	972.6 KB
ID:	245670  

post #8 of 15 Old 04-25-2019, 06:49 PM
Just monkeyin' around!

Maybe it was discussed and I missed it, but have you tried heat-shrink tubing?
(the stuff used in wiring harness applications, among others)
Piper and UBC03 like this.

I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time. - Mark Twain
post #9 of 15 Old 04-25-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeonista View Post
@Champagne InHand has recommended this and finds it very effective. I haven't tried it but the dry vinyl tape is so easy and low-tech I think I'll stick with it.
Matt_21 and OneStrangeOne like this.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-25-2019, 07:20 PM
CAT WRANGLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeonista View Post
I've bought estates with that crap on em.. PITA to get off and still accumulated the same crud underneath as the soft bits.. looks like a science experiment gone awry
Piper, Matt_21 and OneStrangeOne like this.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page