Forgotten Pipe Skills - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 10-07-2019, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Puffer Fish with some spikes

Forgotten Pipe Skills

Please jog my memory...I have forgotten most of what I learned about pipe smoking. Things like how to dry pipe tobacco, the basic parts of a pipe and their names, how to pack the bowl, etc. The last time I owned a pipe was in 2007 when I was living in the Netherlands with my late wife. I remember getting pretty good at it and enjoying pipe smoking like it was a ritual. But, alas, all that knowledge is gone.

I was shocked when I recently looked at a pipe I wanted to buy, it had many parts/accessories that I didn't remember having. So I decided to come here and ask before I spent the money - for I am not rich! Anyway, any help you may offer is greatly appreciated.
Thanks a million, Prozac
Fusion likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-07-2019, 12:52 AM
Alpha Puffer Fish

There's a joke that pipers overthink everything, and I've certainly overthought most things. I'm gonna show off here with my knowledge, but I'm merely a grasshopper among larger grasshoppers, or whatever that which is larger than a grasshopper.

Pipe packing, I think it's taken me years of practice, listening to other people's methods, and watching videos. I like a 3 pinch method, Frank method, which is like a gravity feed with a small pinch on top. I'm starting to fold flakes instead of rubbing them out. And I've tried the ol' codger scoop, which I think is just what it sounds like: scoop the pipe into the tobacco or pick up a scoop and drop it in. The 3 pinch method is something I've been really focusing on, trying to figure which tobaccos smoke better with it. With cube cuts and crumbles I think you want to just gravity feed them, basically pour them in. Any search you do on pipe packing, you'll find a rabbit hole of helpful pipe info that I wouldn't want to deprive you of.

Drying pipe tobacco, and here's the problem, this should be simple. You can leave it out for 20 minutes under a light, you can zap it in a microwave for, maybe 10 seconds. I like to pack pipes and whatever wetness and leave them, sometimes for a day. My rule of thumb is, if it crumbles, it's too dry, otherwise, see what happens. I've recently read about packing a pipe, smoking a few puffs, then leaving it for a day.....

Parts of a pipe, I'd probably just look it up. There's great visuals out there. What pipe were you looking at where it had some mysterious parts?

You're questions are great and can lead to many a discussion. Search around here, we've gone back and forth on proper cleaning and technique which are ever growing databases of knowledge.

And welcome!
Fusion and Prozac like this.
post #3 of 15 Old 10-07-2019, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

Here is the pipe. https://www.amazon.com/MUXIANG-Woode...s%2C165&sr=8-2 Notice the the last picture in the photos. I don't remember all this extra stuff. I just had the bowl, and the stem ? ! ? and I'd pack it in stages. A man taught me to get regular tobacco and just put it on a dinner plate and let it dry for a couple of days - that helped in lighting and smoking, a lot. That's why I backed out on buying it. I just want a decent bent apple briar pipe. I was at the top of my game, when I had to leave it all to come back to the states.

Thanks for your post it was really helpful.
JohnBrody15 and Fusion like this.

post #4 of 15 Old 10-07-2019, 09:29 AM
Retired Chaos Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozac View Post
Here is the pipe. https://www.amazon.com/MUXIANG-Woode...s%2C165&sr=8-2 Notice the the last picture in the photos. I don't remember all this extra stuff. I just had the bowl, and the stem ? ! ? and I'd pack it in stages. A man taught me to get regular tobacco and just put it on a dinner plate and let it dry for a couple of days - that helped in lighting and smoking, a lot. That's why I backed out on buying it. I just want a decent bent apple briar pipe. I was at the top of my game, when I had to leave it all to come back to the states.

Thanks for your post it was really helpful.
All that stuff in the last picture is accessory’s, nice to have, but all that is actually needed is a tamper, pipe cleaners and fire.
I would be cautious about that pipe, I can’t tell for sure if it’s actually Briar or something else, their add says “made by Briar” maybe it’s just a typo IDK.
JohnBrody15 and Fusion like this.

If I see a stick that made a noob nic sick,I put it on my list as a must try. (UBC03)
post #5 of 15 Old 10-07-2019, 10:52 AM
Leading Puffer Fish

for $30 u could get a Rossi or several others which would be of better quality...use a empty .308 casing or a .556 for a tamper....a pouch of captain black or any "drug store" blend and ur heading down the hole!!! terminologies and processes that work best for u come with time and practice...and patience lots and lots of patience
JohnBrody15, Fusion and zcziggy like this.
post #6 of 15 Old 10-07-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up!!! And this is why I joined this forum.
Fusion and zcziggy like this.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-07-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madderduro View Post
for $30 u could get a Rossi or several others which would be of better quality...use a empty .308 casing or a .556 for a tamper....a pouch of captain black or any "drug store" blend and ur heading down the hole!!! terminologies and processes that work best for u come with time and practice...and patience lots and lots of patience
Thanks a million for the tip! I surfed around several Rossis but didn't find exactly what I wanted. Would you or anyone else suggest a brand/pipe between $30 or $40 bucks? I might be able to go for $50 - $60 at the top side.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I can't believe I'm a noob all over again.
Fusion likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 10-07-2019, 08:46 PM
Retired Chaos Designer

The best bang for your buck is gonna be a MM Cob, you can pick up a legend of Washington for $10 or less add a forever stem @ $20 and your good. As for Briar check out Pipesandcigars.com they have quite a few that would fit your budget, BJarne Viking, Bariccini, Big Ben And Stanwell are available for around $40-50 and will smoke well.
cory1984, JohnBrody15 and Fusion like this.

If I see a stick that made a noob nic sick,I put it on my list as a must try. (UBC03)
post #9 of 15 Old 10-08-2019, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

I checked out all the recommended pipes. Great suggestions from all of you, now I just need to make up my mind - lol. I had never before considered getting a cob pipe, but they really look cool. Who knows what I'll choose, but thanks for all the help and advice.

Prozac
cory1984 and Fusion like this.
post #10 of 15 Old 10-08-2019, 12:56 AM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

If you go the Cob route, do pay a little extra and get the forever stem, i hated my Cob until i got a good stem, here is a link to a Cob that already has a good stem, your choice of straight or bent

https://corncobpipe.com/the-emerald-corn-cob-pipe
JohnBrody15 likes this.

I gently bent one each into my nostrils, then put the remaining one in my mouf. --droy1958
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page