"Health starts in the Mind and is supported by an educated Palate" - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-29-2013, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Newbie in the ocean

"Health starts in the Mind and is supported by an educated Palate"

As I was growing up I was dealing with two seemingly contradicting informations.
- Smoking is as good as suicide.
- My Great-Grandmother had died with 105 years of age in Cuba and smoked five cigars daily.
It was not until many years later that I understood much better, why both statements need not be a contradiction. A source of my understanding I apply to discovering the work and thinking of Aristippos of Cyrene. He created hedonism - the philosophy of pleasure. One of his key points was that pleasure is not about losing oneself, but about the elevation of the soul through pleasure.

So much to the mind.

On the other hand, as I grew up I was forced into the delight of been cooked to by four amazing cooks: my mother, my father, my grandmother and my aunt. What better training to be able to perceive the complexities of worlds like those of red wine, whiskey, coffee and cigars later on in life? And if you wish to perceive well, you must be awake - physically and mentally.

Around 1988/89 I bought my first pipe. Yes, my intention was to smoke, but I believe my main intention was to do something that I saw connected with the type of person I am, with the way I like to observe life and go about it. Back then I smoked cigarettes, but the handling of a pipe was about much more than smoking.

Today I look back at many years smoking pipes, but now have been increasingly smoking cigars. In the last few months I have been smoking in various smoke lounges, surrounded by an array of educated fine-smokers. In this forum I now hope to learn a few more things that I have not learned in the lounges.

It is very much my experience that the minds of smokers tend to be special. Here I look forward to interesting conversations and perhaps to the birth of inspiring contacts through fine smoking and the fine life.

Cheers
sila
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Alpha Puffer Fish

Re: "Health starts in the Mind and is supported by an educated Palate"

Welcome Sila!

An interesting point to ponder. Smoking and ones self image. Kids start smoking cigarettes to look more grown up and look cool. Pipes and cigars both carry a certain mental image also. Hollywood images of intelligent types smoking pipes and tough guys smoking cigars. Clint Eastwood puffing a cigar saying..."make my day" or Tony Soprano puffing a large ring gauge. The brilliant Sherlock Holmes was of course a pipe smoker as well as Albert Einstein.

I'm sure these images send people in a certain direction when first starting out. Do people select a smoke based on flavor/enjoyment or based on the image they want to project and then adapt to it? I've often wondered why some people just like Maduro cigars. I have golf buddies that won't touch a light wrapper cigar. Is it the image of a dark cigar that drives them? There certainly are excellent lighter wrapper cigars but they refuse to even try them.

I think I'll light a cigar and ponder.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-29-2013, 04:51 PM
Brother Jacob

Welcome Sila,

I agree completely with what Don mentioned about how we perceive when we see people smoking pipes and cigars. I went from smoking cigarettes to cigars and last, pipe tobacco. It seemed that each time I changed my smoking habit I felt like I was mentally different too. When I think about it now I realize it wasn't anything to do with how I smoked but over the years I had become more intelligent and wiser due to life experience itself. Now I enjoy my pipe and ponder on each different set of experiences I went through in life as I smoked and I realize that smoking cigarettes I was more of a bar hoping man looking for a good time to smoking cigars and being a matured young man looking for a specific kind of woman, to a pipe smoking man that I am today. With the woman I was looking for and happily enjoying my life with her. It is life experience that makes me enjoy pipe smoking too. Thanks for making me ponder the thought Sila.

post #4 of 7 Old 11-29-2013, 05:40 PM
No longer a community member.

Sila! I guess I am fortunate that in my experience pipes and cigars were not classed in the same "suicidal" category as cigarettes (and for good reason).Great first post!
post #5 of 7 Old 11-29-2013, 09:42 PM
Young Puffer Fish

Impressive post Sir. Welcome to the community! I too believe that pipe smoking has an image also. A laid back pondering the universe, knowledgeable and wise. A man who has been there and done that.

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."-Mark Twain
"The aim is not to drink more, but better."- Can't remember Lol.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-29-2013, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Newbie in the ocean

Thank you all for the Welcome!

Hello Don, Jacob, Tobias and Eric (and I see already two German names in the selective group :-) )

I see we all agree - more or less.

The thoughts of the correlations between the being and what is smoked came to me just by having conversations in the Lounges I visit regularly. As a result I put Smoke and Minds together and spend much time photographing cigar and pipe smokers under this idea.

Here we cannot watch each other's smoke and share the different aromas, but we could certainly exchange on the mind level. And so I hope we joyfully will.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-04-2013, 09:01 PM
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!

ink:

"Dear Lord Thank you for your protection and your many signs along the way. Thank you for any good that I may have done, I'm so sorry about the bad."- Eli
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
aristippos of cyrene, cigars, hedonism, pipes, tobacco

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page