Am i in the right place? - Page 2 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 Old 02-22-2018, 08:13 PM
Puffer Fish with many spikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
Well i seem to have 2 Pipes in my possession so i guess i am god help me, what the hell im doing with pipes i dont know, just been reading you guys posts then @MattT posts up some nice looking pipes at great prices and boom, im here.
First off let me show you what i bought, its a (maybe) T. Christiano, whatever it is it caught my eye and looks even better in hand.
A bonus in the box is an Olympic games Dr Grabow smaller pipe that Matt threw in as a minder. I think Dino sanitized and cleaned up these pipes for Matt, great job he did.
Without going into a very long story i happen to have some tobacco on hand, the 2 in the bags are both Lane, blended by a cigar shop owner/friend, one is a Cavendish the other a "Sequoia" both were in bulk jars and i got 1 oz of each, i also have a unopened tin of Drew Estates 'Harvest on Hudson" bought Jan 2017 (not by me)
Today i went to buy some pipe cleaners and ended up with a pouch of Captain Black "Cherry" (musta jumped in the bag)

Questions, which Tobacco should i try first? which pipe should i use with it? anyone have a link on "how to fill and light my first bowl"? and im sure ill have more questions as i go.
Sample some baccys in the Grabow one first...That other briar has a rather large bowl. If that's going to be your go to, break it in with something you really like.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Piper and Fusion like this.

[Insert clever signature here]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 02-22-2018, 08:21 PM
H.R. Pufnstuf

It's great you are joining us down the rabbit hole Alice! Welcome!
Piper, Matt_21 and Fusion like this.

....that's almost like flying on a plane with one wing. ~Cigary
post #13 of 22 Old 02-22-2018, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

I watched a couple of vids, broke out the Dr Grabow and the Lane Sequoia (just noticed it has "whiskey" written on the paper in the bag) mmmmm not a good first try, tasted like crap, seemed to light ok, had to relight twice but i do hope it gets better, im thinking it was just the blend or infusion i didnt like, i hope so anyways
Piper and OneStrangeOne like this.

I gently bent one each into my nostrils, then put the remaining one in my mouf. --droy1958

post #14 of 22 Old 02-22-2018, 09:30 PM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Welcome to the pipe side!

There are so many things to try - I want to say there is something for everyone so just stick it out a while until you find your preferences. If it was sitting around a long time in the bag it may just be dried out too.

Personally I prefer the more tobacco forward blends.
Piper and Fusion like this.
post #15 of 22 Old 02-22-2018, 09:44 PM

I say go grab a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh or Prince Albert (non aromatic type). I was told those would be easy to find anywhere, but I had to order them online or found them when I was traveling for work. Hopefully you have an option up there. Just plain old burley and to me has a chocolate/raisin flavor to it. For a long time, I only enjoyed the fresh puffs during the charring lights, but now I am able to enjoy the whole way through. We all will run into blends we just hate, but might like later. In that way, it is similar to cigars. However, the flavors and the experience are very much different.

Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

Last edited by ebnash; 02-23-2018 at 10:32 AM.
post #16 of 22 Old 02-22-2018, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Oh i wlll keep at it, @ADRUNKK Aaron is coming over on Saturday and he is bringing me some non aromatic tobacco, ill give that a try, may try the cherry one i have before then.
Piper and huffer33 like this.

I gently bent one each into my nostrils, then put the remaining one in my mouf. --droy1958
post #17 of 22 Old 02-22-2018, 11:34 PM
Alpha Puffer Fish

Welcome to the pipe side. You can always pick up a few cobs for super cheap online. Use them to try out blends or just for practicing lighting, packing, and puffing.

For me, learning how to smoke a pipe involved reading, video watching, smoking, reading, video watching smoking..... a ton more smoking....
post #18 of 22 Old 02-23-2018, 12:32 AM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Welcome to the pipe side of the street. As with cigar smoking, there is a learning curve with pipe smoking, both in perfecting the technique and in recognizing and appreciating different blends. But it's not rocket science. If you were patient and trusted your own reactions, you'd get there just by trial and error. Luckily, you have guys here who can help you speed up the process.

The thing I like about MuttnChop Piper is that he gives detailed advice, but humbly. (BTW, @ebnash's description is hilariously accurate.) If you want a very good discussion of tobacco blends, check out Bradley at Stuff and Things. He makes me chuckle every time I watch him. And pipe smoking is supposed to be fun.
post #19 of 22 Old 02-23-2018, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
If you want a very good discussion of tobacco blends, check out Bradley at Stuff and Things. He makes me chuckle every time I watch him. And pipe smoking is supposed to be fun.
I just discovered Stuff and Things a couple days ago when I was looking for reviews. I did enjoy his format and attitude. Probably watched about 10 videos or so.

Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...
post #20 of 22 Old 02-23-2018, 08:38 AM
Retired Chaos Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
I watched a couple of vids, broke out the Dr Grabow and the Lane Sequoia (just noticed it has "whiskey" written on the paper in the bag) mmmmm not a good first try, tasted like crap, seemed to light ok, had to relight twice but i do hope it gets better, im thinking it was just the blend or infusion i didnt like, i hope so anyways
At this point itís best to buy in small amounts, get a case of half pint jars and whatever you find that you donít like, jar it, when you come back to it in a year or two it might be a different experience. The over the counter/drugstore blends like Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh etc are a great place to start, easy to pack and smoke. Maybe not the most interesting blends but not offensive either.
I generally donít recommend Aros for beginners, tobaccoreviews.com has info on most blends.

If I see a stick that made a noob nic sick,I put it on my list as a must try. (UBC03)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page