Hello From Nashville - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-10-2018, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Hello From Nashville

Good day to all you pipe smoking Gentlemen! I quit smoking cigarettes in 1988, never touched anything related to nicotine until 2 years ago when a customer gifted me with a cigar or two. I accepted not to hurt his feelings of giving. He ended up giving me 2 Thompson Humidors, beads, cigar cutter, 2 leather cases and some really cheap mild handrolled cigars. The old man passed away and I have fond memories of him a lot. Long story short I have been a forum member a few months, advanced into full bodied quality sticks and have been rather overwhelmed with the “Great world of cigars”. This forum has saved me from much grief during the learning curve. Today I feel comfortable in any cigar lounge though certainly still a Newbie. I have over 300 sticks, a DM Humidor and one of The Thompson along with a nice Whynter cooler. I have a corncob some Dunhill backy and only smoked a couple bowls. I know that I love pipes and my wife’s ok with it. I am looking to purchase a quality pipe at some point, the selections are overwhelmingly many! Any recommendations would be greatly appericated. I have as much to learn if not more than I have with Cigars. I would like to be well on my way before winter hits, it’s a better option for me especially in the winter months and even now with limited time and enjoying a daily smoke in the evenings.

Thanks for all of you that have supported me on the cigar side and saved me from internet video education and the like. My family all used the leaf in some fashion but for me cigars and pipes are my passion! My Dad was born in 1880, my Grandfather in 1843, fought in the Civil War and wounded. I have a half brother on my Dad’s side, WWII wounded vetran! He is 93 and sister 99 years old! There was 11 total children, only 3 of us today above the ground, life is good!

God Bless America!

Cheers

US Army Veteran 1974-1985
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-10-2018, 01:42 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

@Olecharlie, you've been a great contributor on both side of the forum and you have an admirable personal story and lineage. Great reading your posts.

On the quality pipe question: MuttnChop Piper said his Savinelli 311 Trevi is the best smoker he has. It's a poker that he bought for $79. I think both @NightFish and @Alrightdriver also have 311s. That might be a good place to start. You can also get very good deals on quality pipes in the estate sections of online vendors.

Cheers to you too!
Alrightdriver and Scotchpig like this.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-10-2018, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Wonderful thanks @Piper
Piper likes this.

post #4 of 11 Old 06-10-2018, 01:54 PM
H.R. Pufnstuf

I don't know quality pipes, but I will recommend in addition to quality get a couple different styles.

Get a thick wall wide bowl and a conical Dublin style....they'll both come in handy.

I'm layin in the hammock smoking a cob right now without a care in the world.....

Sent from the Stoopid Factory HR Dept....
Piper, OneStrangeOne and Scotchpig like this.

....that's almost like flying on a plane with one wing. ~Cigary
post #5 of 11 Old 06-10-2018, 02:00 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickorynut View Post
I don't know quality pipes, but I will recommend in addition to quality get a couple different styles.

Get a thick wall wide bowl and a conical Dublin style....they'll both come in handy.

I'm layin in the hammock smoking a cob right now without a care in the world.....

Don't listen to @Hickorynut, @Olecharlie. Kevin is a quality guy through and through. He's forgotten more about pipes and tobacco than most of us will learn in a decade.
OneStrangeOne and Hickorynut like this.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-10-2018, 02:03 PM
H.R. Pufnstuf

Says the man with a Dunhill collection worth my left arm and half my right leg!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
Don't listen to @Hickorynut, @Olecharlie. Kevin is a quality guy through and through. He's forgotten more about pipes and tobacco than most of us will learn in a decade.

post #7 of 11 Old 06-10-2018, 06:54 PM
Retired Chaos Designer

Welcome, Welcome,
Savinelli, Nording and Stanwell are all good value and quality pipes, Peterson seems to be about 50/50 as to whether you get a winner or a dud. The truth of it is that once you figure out what youíre doing you can get a good smoke out of almost any pipe,

If I see a stick that made a noob nic sick,I put it on my list as a must try. (UBC03)
post #8 of 11 Old 06-10-2018, 07:54 PM
Livin' the Dream!

For starters, I'd go with a Missouri Meerschaum country gentleman it's equivalent. Cobs are always great choices especially when new to pipes. After you get the feel of things, most any pipe with do and become a personal choice. Smoking pipes.com, eBay, and Etsy all have great offerings.

Good luck and enjoy!

"Live from Nowhere in Particular"...
Piper likes this.

Come on in dear boy, have a cigar, you're gonna go far....Pink Floyd :rockon: :smoke2:
post #9 of 11 Old 06-10-2018, 07:56 PM
H.R. Pufnstuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickorynut View Post

Oh yeah....besides dunnys (piper) Peterson (Champagne Inhand )..OneStrangeOne has a twin bore oil cured Radice you'd give your left nu...well let's say you'd like to have it. Then there most of Jims pipes.....etc..etc.. sheesh.....

Piper likes this.

post #10 of 11 Old 06-10-2018, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by knilas View Post
For starters, I'd go with a Missouri Meerschaum country gentleman it's equivalent. Cobs are always great choices especially when new to pipes. After you get the feel of things, most any pipe with do and become a personal choice. Smoking pipes.com, eBay, and Etsy all have great offerings.

Good luck and enjoy!

"Live from Nowhere in Particular"...

After some research I believe you are correct, I need to stay with a Cob. Hate to ask, sure itís covered here several times but a couple of tobacco recommendations would be appericated.
Piper likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page