Never smoked a pipe but new - Page 2 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 Old 01-19-2019, 04:21 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

exactly what everyone has said...get a cob and something like captain black or sir walter raleigh aromatic...a .308 casing makes a good tamp...soft flame definitely no torches on a pipe...patience is key...getting started is pretty cheap its a whole other world then cigars it'll take time but its quite meditative once you've got the hang of it...good luck and happy piping!
Piper and Matt_21 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 01-19-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Full grown Puffer Fish

yes they are labeled I forget the names tho, will look tomorrow one started with a L and had a yellow/tan bag but I dont think it was lane.
Piper likes this.
post #13 of 25 Old 01-19-2019, 08:55 PM
H.R. Pufnstuf

Welcome Alice.....
Attached Images

Piper, Matt_21, UBC03 and 2 others like this.

....that's almost like flying on a plane with one wing. ~Cigary

post #14 of 25 Old 01-20-2019, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Full grown Puffer Fish

Thank you
post #15 of 25 Old 01-20-2019, 01:55 AM
Alpha Puffer Fish

BTW, the reason you go for the cob pipes is because they're super cheap and you don't have to break them in. With a briar pipe, there's a process where you smoke a bunch of bowls, develop a "cake" etc....you'll get to that. For now, you just want something to stuff some tobacco into and light up. Then I'd layer in some pipe learnin'. You'll want to look up proper packing techniques. Smoke a few more bowls, then think about "cadence" ie smoking too slow, smoking too fast. Keep doing that, and layer in more pipe learnin'. How to light, tamping, different tobaccos, different pipes.

Smoke smoke smoke (learn) more smoke smoke smoke (another layer of learning + common question: why does it taste ashy) smoke smoke smoke (learning layer+ common question: can't keep it lit) smoke smoke smoke (learning layer+question) smoke smoke smoke etc etc

Pretty soon you'll be a pro. You'll be distinguished. You'll be sophisticated. You'll wake up one day and be able to sail a boat. You'll have extensive knowledge of early American literature. You'll be good at woodworking and tying various knots. You'll understand the stock market. You'll be an expert in the philosophy of John Locke. A lot of things happen when you get into smoking pipes.....it's a great thing.
Jankjr, Piper, Matt_21 and 5 others like this.
post #16 of 25 Old 01-20-2019, 01:04 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBrody15 View Post
Pretty soon you'll be a pro. You'll be distinguished. You'll be sophisticated. You'll wake up one day and be able to sail a boat. You'll have extensive knowledge of early American literature. You'll be good at woodworking and tying various knots. You'll understand the stock market. You'll be an expert in the philosophy of John Locke. A lot of things happen when you get into smoking pipes.....it's a great thing.
It's true! It's true! It's really true!
post #17 of 25 Old 01-20-2019, 03:30 PM
No longer a community member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBrody15 View Post
BTW, the reason you go for the cob pipes is because they're super cheap and you don't have to break them in. With a briar pipe, there's a process where you smoke a bunch of bowls, develop a "cake" etc....you'll get to that. For now, you just want something to stuff some tobacco into and light up. Then I'd layer in some pipe learnin'. You'll want to look up proper packing techniques. Smoke a few more bowls, then think about "cadence" ie smoking too slow, smoking too fast. Keep doing that, and layer in more pipe learnin'. How to light, tamping, different tobaccos, different pipes.

Smoke smoke smoke (learn) more smoke smoke smoke (another layer of learning + common question: why does it taste ashy) smoke smoke smoke (learning layer+ common question: can't keep it lit) smoke smoke smoke (learning layer+question) smoke smoke smoke etc etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
It's true! It's true! It's really true!
If the two best knot tyers on puff.com say so...it must be true!
Now, I'm off to smoke a few bowls of some good tobacco...I want to upgrade from velcro to laces one day!
Piper and JohnBrody15 like this.
post #18 of 25 Old 01-20-2019, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Full grown Puffer Fish

here's what I have
drew estates toasted blade cao
stonehaven
gawitition something louisiana flake
Piper likes this.
post #19 of 25 Old 01-21-2019, 12:48 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by the camaro show View Post
here's what I have
drew estates toasted blade cao
stonehaven
gawitition something louisiana flake
Those are some pretty upscale baccys!. But perhaps challenging to prepare and to taste on day one of your smoking adventure. If you have some small Ball or Mason type jars, put those samples in them to keep the tobacco from dying out. You'll appreciate those blends one day soon. In the meantime, get a "drugstore" blend and learn the ropes with that.

Actually, I think I'm wrong about one of these blends. I went on tobaccoreviews.com (which is a wonderful resource) and located a description of each of them. Assuming the first one is Toasted Black Cavendish, that is an aromatic ribbon cut and will be accessible right away. Esoterica Stonehaven is a virginia/burley flake cut and should be kept for later. Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. - Louisiana Flake is a virginia/perique flake cut and should probably also be saved for later. Anyway, someone gave you a very nice care package. Enjoy.
post #20 of 25 Old 01-21-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Full grown Puffer Fish

Thank you @Piper
Piper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page