Never smoked a pipe but new - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 01-19-2019, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Full grown Puffer Fish

Never smoked a pipe but new

Hello everyone I’m Chayse I’ve been smoking cigars for a little while now and am getting pretty serious into it. So I received a cigar bomb a few days ago and was going through it and pulled out a few bags of pipe tobacco at first I was thinking it was to roll your own cigars but I didn’t see any wrapper and they were longer strands and th last being shredded. I have never smoked a pipe nor own one so looks like I need to get one, what should I look for when buying a pipe. I know you need to tamp and clean a pipe and let it dry out but anything else I need to know?
Piper likes this.

Camaros, cigars, coral and college are what I do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 01-19-2019, 07:18 AM
No longer a community member.

Hey bud. I'm pretty new into it myself. Take it slow and you'll have a great time with it. Start with a corn cob pipe and a good sized nail for a tamp, easy to come across and keeps your investment low just in case you dont like it. Other than that, you only need pipe cleaners, which are really cheap. Packing a bowl is the first thing you'll need yo learn. Browse the internet and check the different methods. Try them all and see what works best for you. Don't get discouraged, because you won't be a pro on day one. Piping is slow, deliberate, and sophisticated just like all the guys on the pipe side.
Welcome.
Piper, Matt_21 and JohnBrody15 like this.
post #3 of 25 Old 01-19-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaSmoke View Post
Piping is slow, deliberate, and sophisticated just like all the guys on the pipe side.
Welcome.
I've never been called that! But, yeah, @TexaSmoke hit the nail on the head! Soft flame only, should go without saying, but ive seen the results of a torch on a bowl. There's a ton of blends out there, so if you dont like the ones you were bombed, but like piping, give some others a try! Other than that... Enjoy, and try not to fall too quickly down the rabbit hole.
Piper and Matt_21 like this.

post #4 of 25 Old 01-19-2019, 08:10 AM
Retired Chaos Designer

@TexaSmoke, You saying Iím slow? Well maybe just a bit ✌️
Hi Chayse, itís definitely a good idea to keep it simple until you decide if you like it, Cobís smoke really well.
Make sure you dry your tobacco some before you smoke it, you want it to be dry but still be pliable.
Piper, Matt_21 and JohnBrody15 like this.

If I see a stick that made a noob nic sick,I put it on my list as a must try. (UBC03)
post #5 of 25 Old 01-19-2019, 08:34 AM
CAT WRANGLER

Buy a cob and some pipe cleaners. This'll run around 8$. You already come equipped with a tamper. Your finger.

You're just tamping down the ash. If you burn your finger, you're doing it wrong. Pushing to hard. It'll help you learn that you don't need tamp too hard. Then you can get a fancy tamper. I've got a dozen but still use my finger.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #6 of 25 Old 01-19-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneStrangeOne View Post
@TexaSmoke, You saying Iím slow? Well maybe just a bit

Hi Chayse, itís definitely a good idea to keep it simple until you decide if you like it, Cobís smoke really well.

Make sure you dry your tobacco some before you smoke it, you want it to be dry but still be pliable.
Slow AND sophisticated....we call those underhanded compliments. Haha
Piper, cory1984, Matt_21 and 2 others like this.
post #7 of 25 Old 01-19-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
If deliberate had been typed before slow, we could call that a compliment sandwich. Lol

Welcome Chase. Lots of guys getting into piping these days. I prefer it for the winter months but, that's just me and because it's friggin' cold up here.
Everything in this thread so far is good advice.
And like on the cigar side of the forum, there's lots of experience and helpful brothers on this side as well.
Get at'er!
post #8 of 25 Old 01-19-2019, 10:20 AM
Retired Chaos Designer

Quote:
Well, thatís better then! I see how it is! 😜
Piper likes this.

If I see a stick that made a noob nic sick,I put it on my list as a must try. (UBC03)
post #9 of 25 Old 01-19-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Full grown Puffer Fish

Thanks guys!
post #10 of 25 Old 01-19-2019, 12:06 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Chayse @the camaro show, are the tobacco samples labeled? Some pipe blends beloved of veterans are a little challenging for rookies. If you're buying a cob and pipe cleaners, you might want to consider adding a pouch of a mild aromatic, like Captain Black White, Carter Hall, etc to your shopping list. It's hard to "get" the flavors of pure tobaccos consistently when you're starting out. At least it was for me. A nice aromatic is more forgiving, both in keeping lit and in detecting flavor. They also have a more congenial room note, which doesn't hurt.

Think of pipe smoking as a contemplative pastime, something you do while your focus is elsewhere. It almost works better if you don't overthink it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page