Coming Over from the Cigar Side - Page 2 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 08-07-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
One of them might even have been smoked by your Uncle Pete!
I have no doubt that Uncle Pete's tobacco would've been of the codger variety. We lived in the boonies, so I'm sure he smoked whatever he could get at Rexall Drugs.

I swung into our local B&M this afternoon and picked up a tin of Erinmore Flake, just to add something different to my current collection. The other old tobaccos seem to moistening up a bit, which is good, since they were pretty dry.

I also discovered that this little pouch is completely unopened:

Coming Over from the Cigar Side-img_4137.jpg

I don't have the slightest idea when this was bought, but it certainly seems old. It does feel fairly dense through the packaging, so I think it's held its moisture. Whether that's good or bad, I have no idea, but we'll see what it looks like when I open it up to move it to a jar!
Piper, OneStrangeOne and Fusion like this.

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” --J.R.R. Tolkien
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 08-07-2019, 05:34 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Erinmore Flake is good for me anyways
Piper and OneStrangeOne like this.

I gently bent one each into my nostrils, then put the remaining one in my mouf. --droy1958
post #13 of 16 Old 08-08-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Got all of the old tobacco hydrated a bit, and then put everything in jars with the labels cut from the original packaging so I don't forget what's what:

Coming Over from the Cigar Side-img_4139.jpg

Coming Over from the Cigar Side-img_4140.jpg

I also dug through the garage last night and found my old pipemaking stuff. Turns out, I have two blocks of briar ready to carve, so I went to Harbor Freight today and got a wood lathe. (I've been meaning to get one for a while now, and my memory of my first attempt at pipe carving is that it wasn't easy without a lathe.) On a related note: the 20% Harbor Freight coupon is pretty great!

That should give me plenty to mess around with while my current pipes are on their way to @UBC03!

I may still pick up a new pipe, too, but I've got cigars to smoke, so we'll see. I think it's fair to say I've officially down the rabbit hole on this fine tobacco hobby.

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” --J.R.R. Tolkien

post #14 of 16 Old 08-08-2019, 08:41 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Looks like some good older Tobacco there, only one i know is the Erinmore, also interested to see your progress in pipe making
Piper and OneStrangeOne like this.

I gently bent one each into my nostrils, then put the remaining one in my mouf. --droy1958
post #15 of 16 Old 08-08-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
Looks like some good older Tobacco there, only one i know is the Erinmore
Yeah, it may all be terrible, but I couldn't resist trying to bring it back to life. I think it might be from the '70s, so my expectations are not high. (Except for the Wall Street and the Mike's Blend, which I bought myself about 15 years ago and have kept properly stored.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
also interested to see your progress in pipe making
I suspect it'll be slow going. I dusted off my Pimo Pipecrafting book this afternoon to try to reacquaint myself with the basic steps, and there's also the learning curve for the lathe itself. The good news is that my toolbox had pretty much everything in it I need, other than some wood stains (which had dried out in the last 15 years--shocking, right?)

I figure if I've got a smokeable pipe by Halloween, I'll be happy.

post #16 of 16 Old 08-16-2019, 08:58 PM
Young Puffer Fish

Here's my two cents as a pipe smoker (almost a year now) and very occasional cigar smoker (maybe once a month).

1. No reason those can't be restored to smokable condition.

2. Check out the estate pipes from SmokingPipes.com. Also, TobaccoPipes.com sells Molina pipes. I have two and are very happy with how they smoke. They are definitely a budget pipe but they smoke well. I just purchased a Morgan Bones pipe that seems to be quite nice, though I have yet to smoke it. The price is right, though.

3. Seems like most of the tobacco you have is aromatic. I probably wouldn't hold out hope that any of it will be good. I may be wrong, though. I'd look for non-aromatic blends. Being a cigar smoker you may appreciate a good Virginia/Perique like Escudo or Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake. The Perique brings a nice peppery quality that is similar to cigars (at least those I've smoked). A nice English blend may also suit your tastes -- try Arango Balkan Supreme. My current go to is Macbaren HH Old Dark Fired, a Kentucky dark fired (burley) based tobacco that has some serious barbecue qualities.

4. I run pipe cleaners down the stem after every smoke (and during smokes in unfiltered pipes). I wipe out the ash when I'm done. Every few weeks I'll break out some cheap bourbon and clean the bowl and stem/shank. I have not smoked enough to really build up a significant cake in any of my pipes to warrant the purchase of a reamer. You may benefit from one to help recondition your pipes. Unfortunately I can't suggest any specifics.

5. I'm looking into buying a pipe rack to store my pipes. Right now I throw them in a drawer with the nicer ones getting thrown in a pipe sock first. I don't have any pipes that are nice enough to absolutely necessitate a rack yet.

6. My go to online tobacco shops are SmokingPipes, TobaccoPipes, 4 Noggins, Pipes and Cigars, and most recently Watch City Cigar.

7. Here's my general advice regarding cigars vs pipe tobacco. My experience is that, in general, the cigars I've had have been far bolder and a bit more one dimensional than what is available with pipe tobacco. I don't mean to disparage cigars at all with that statement, but I don't think it is a secret that pipe tobacco in general is more subtle in taste and aroma than cigars are. Keep this in mind when trying pipe tobaccos, and try to take pipe tobacco for what it is -- a more subtle experience, where half of the experience is the ritual associated with using the pipe. It's a meditative process for many, and far more laborious than lighting a cigar and letting it burn on its own for 1+ hours. The pipe requires finesse and care in preparing, packing, and keeping it lit.
Piper, OneStrangeOne and Fusion like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page