Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

Puff Cigar Discussion Forums (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/)
-   Pipe Puffers Introduction Forum (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/pipe-puffers-introduction-forum/)
-   -   Archive: Pipe Forum: new members (introduce yourself) (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/pipe-puffers-introduction-forum/63118-archive-pipe-forum-new-members-introduce-yourself.html)

CTpipe 04-15-2010 03:52 PM

Re: Pipe Forum: new members (introduce yourself)

Hello everyone. I've been smoking cigars for a few years and after smelling pipes in my local lounge had to try it. A lot of fun so far! I bought a Grabow Briar to start and a corncob the following day so I could adhere to resting the briar and breaking it in properly. Currently looking for a higher grade briar to start a rotation. Last night was great and I was able to finally smoke to the bottom with only 3 relights (all in the bottom third of the bowl after some noobie tamping on my part) after trying the Frank method. I love the complexities of simply smoking the pipe and can't wait to get into the tobaccos. I have a few specific questions but I'll post those elsewhere. Thanks for all the great information on here.

Miacova 04-16-2010 11:10 PM

Hello

Let's see, I recently turned 50 and decided to quit smoking ciggerettes, decided smoking a pipe might be a way to help and a little easier on my health. I visited tinderbox near me and the clerk helped me pick out a starter pipe Savinelli, cheapest one they had and i picked one of their house pipe tabbacos.. I've been beating around the forums for a couple weeks, and decided to join and say hello.

Phillip

owaindav 04-17-2010 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miacova (Post 2860021)
Hello

Let's see, I recently turned 50 and decided to quit smoking ciggerettes, decided smoking a pipe might be a way to help and a little easier on my health. I visited tinderbox near me and the clerk helped me pick out a starter pipe Savinelli, cheapest one they had and i picked one of their house pipe tabbacos.. I've been beating around the forums for a couple weeks, and decided to join and say hello.

Phillip

Nice to have you here Phillip. Be sure to get over to the New Pipe Smoker sampler thread and get in on that!

Savinelli Guy 04-18-2010 12:08 AM

Welcome aboard Phillip!
Your reasons are similar to my own and I turn 50 on the 23rd.

Paul

DSturg369 04-18-2010 12:11 AM

Welcome Everyone! :welcome:

Miacova 04-18-2010 12:22 PM

Thank you all for the welcome!

beetlebriar 04-26-2010 01:28 AM

Hi my name is Steve,
I have been smoking pipes since I was 18, I am currently 26. I recently started making pipes part time. I enjoy meeting people who smoke pipes as it has consumed so much of my life at this point in time" And I don't see it fading anytime soon". There aren't very many people I know who smoke pipes at my age, so I figured joining this forum would be a good way to talk and learn about everything briar

steveliskeypipes .com

SmoknTaz 04-26-2010 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beetlebriar (Post 2866763)
Hi my name is Steve,
I have been smoking pipes since I was 18, I am currently 26. I recently started making pipes part time. I enjoy meeting people who smoke pipes as it has consumed so much of my life at this point in time" And I don't see it fading anytime soon". There aren't very many people I know who smoke pipes at my age, so I figured joining this forum would be a good way to talk and learn about everything briar

steveliskeypipes .com

Welcome Steve, you came to the right place :tu

beetlebriar 04-26-2010 03:38 AM

thanks for the welcome!

WyoBob 04-26-2010 01:13 PM

I've been a member of this forum (though inactive) and the prior forum for awhile and have been a cigar smoker for 20 years.

I bought my first pipe in 1968, a GBD rusticated, bent bulldog and smoked it until around 1974 when my pouch fell out of my down vest and I ran over it with a Catapillar 950 front end loader reducing the pipe to "molecular" sizehttp://imagestore.puff.com/2010/04/26/p_2867062_0.gif It was an outstanding pipe, every bowl a delight. I bought several other pipes but they never smoked like the GBD so I gave up on them.

I quit cigarettes when I was married 41 years ago but chewed Skoal for 40 years, quitting 5-6 years ago. I've been a cigar smoker for 20 years but over the last two years or so have lost interest having suffered through price increases and more plugged cigars than I've had in the previous 18 years. I've got 60 plugged cigars in my "plugged" humidor and have been experimenting with cigar/pipe blends with not much satisfaction so far, trying to figure out a way to use up the plugged cigars.

A friend in our small town has an art gallery/tobacco store with three display cases of cigars and many pipes and tobaccos. He smokes pipes and being around him re-kindled my interest. So, over the last month, I purchased: a corn cob and a small, made in Italy bent from my friend and a GBD bent bulldog 549, a Savinelli Roma 627, a Weber and a low cost meerschaum (new) on ebay. The GBD, Savinelli and budget Meer are the best smokers. I'll still smoke a cigar or two a week (down from two/day) but plan on being a regular, prolific pipe smoker. As I'm retired, the cost advantage of pipes is a major selling point for me.

I've had a blast trying various blends. My old standby many years ago was SWR. I bought a 14 oz can and, though it doesn't seem to have the same texture as I remember, I still like it. I've also tried the Virginia, BCA, cavendish blend, burley blend, burley/cavendish/Virginia blend and Dunhill Early Morning tobaccos that my friend has on hand and have enjoyed them all. What a great adventure!

Bob