Mac Baren Mixture Flake - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 12-20-2009, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Puffer Fish with many spikes

Mac Baren Mixture Flake

I'm sipping Mixture Flake just like I do Navy Flake, and it's steadily growing on me with each little pull on the bit end. The most notable thing is that this flake allows itself to be smoked at a low level of burning - it appears to be going out but doesn't, at least not right away, and usually stays lit and smoking steady for an acceptable length of time. But what you can sip out of this subdued combustion is more flavorful and rich than is a full-bodied smoke-intensive mouthful from other, heavier blends. Sip works here. Of course it reminds me of NF, but here in MF the honey is a sidebar note, except on the sidestream pickup where it is stronger, but leaving some residual sweetness on the palate. The fine VaBur asserts itself over the honey more clearly in MF than in NF.

Liking it, and growing to love it. No bite whatsoever. I had been smoking some Sollums Black that left me with a bit of a blanket tongue, but MF did not exacerbate it and, mirabile dictu, it may have ameliorated it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-23-2009, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Re: Mac Baren Mixture Flake

chirp...chirp...chirp... (weak, desolate cricket sounds.) Apparently not a blend much preferred among these here parts I guess. edface:
post #3 of 12 Old 12-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Incoming Opinion!!!

Your review sounds very intriguing!

I really don't see myself as a pipe smoker... but reviews like this make me think I need to rethink my thinking.

post #4 of 12 Old 12-24-2009, 12:07 PM
he that puffeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeabed View Post
chirp...chirp...chirp... (weak, desolate cricket sounds.) Apparently not a blend much preferred among these here parts I guess. edface:

Good review, I haven't tried that MacBitten blend yet. How would you classify it, more as Burley/VA or an Aromatic?

Ron aka RJ aka RJPuffs
--
Old age isn't too bad, when you consider the alternative.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-24-2009, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJpuffs View Post

Good review, I haven't tried that MacBitten blend yet. How would you classify it, more as Burley/VA or an Aromatic?
A Bur/Va it definitely is, however the "Danish Cavendish" that is so typical of MacBaren and the slight honey afternote will not be ignored. I certainly would not classify it as an aromatic, but would caveat that statement by adding the aforementioned particularities of this blend. It seems to me very similar to Navy Flake, but with more tobaccoey and less honey-e taste. The flakes are packed ideally in the tin and are very easy to fill in the bowl. But I recommend that you air them for a day or two (despite the fact that the flakes seem ideally dry right out of the tin, it will taste even better with some air time on it).
post #6 of 12 Old 12-24-2009, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

BTW, it didn't bite my tongue at all, as I mentioned before, but then again I didn't puff on it like a steam engine in an effort to bring out a strong steamy taste and smoke that is not in this blend and not meant to be.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Send a message via MSN to Mad Hatter

Its not unusual to post a review that others haven't tried yet. I haven't tried this since I don't care for the texture of MacBaren Flakes, but if its the same stuff as Mixture it should be pretty good.

MOO spelled up-side-down and backwards is OOW
:happy:
post #8 of 12 Old 01-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Maturing Puffer Fish

Send a message via AIM to Griz

A trade from Jaxon67 allowed me to aquire a tin of this tobacco. Waiting to finish another tin of MacB Navy flake before opening it. Now the anticipation is even worse :/
post #9 of 12 Old 02-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Ask me why I dinged Black

bump...

More cavendish, slightly sweeter and minorly less tangy than MacB Navy Flake, this is a dream if opened and left to rest for a couple of weeks before smoking. Much to my surpise it didn't totally dry out in an unsealed but closed tin. As with Ed, it grew on me as I tried it over a period of many days.

Days improved it a lot - two or three weeks a whole lot more. It reminded me of University Flakle by Peterson for half the money.

"But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"
post #10 of 12 Old 02-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Alpha Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
bump...

More cavendish, slightly sweeter and minorly less tangy than MacB Navy Flake, this is a dream if opened and left to rest for a couple of weeks before smoking. Much to my surpise it didn't totally dry out in an unsealed but closed tin. As with Ed, it grew on me as I tried it over a period of many days.

Days improved it a lot - two or three weeks a whole lot more. It reminded me of University Flakle by Peterson for half the money.

Interesting Moo, since I posted nearly the exact assessment of Navy Flake in a reply recently you most recently made recently. :kev:

I feel the same way about Navy flake. Upon popping the tin, it bit me and seemed cloyingly sweet and perfumey. After a few weeks (maybe a month or two) of forgetting this flake, it hadn't dried beyond smokeability, but what was left burned beautifully and had a very mild sweet overtone to it, with just enough soap to keep me interested and not scare me off.

I'll try to find this one locally. Just wish they'd pack it up in 50g tins. 100 grams is too much to smoke without the purchase of a mason jar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
baren, flake, mac, mac baren, mixture

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page