Mixture No.79 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-14-2010, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Puffer Fish with some spikes

Mixture No.79

Yes the infamous blend from Sutliff. Hugh Hefner's supposed brand of choice.

A little background, I have read the reviews online and am well aware that this is one of the most polarizing tobaccos, perhaps only rivaled by 1792 in the love it or hate it department.

I am a man who adores black liquorish, Thrills gum, soap candy, Dr. Pepper, Turkish Delight, and Parma Violets, so I have the ideal flavor profile for enjoying this blend.

Pipe:
I chose my pipe carefully, as this is a blend that will ghost violently. To be honest I'm pretty sure it has ghosted my tongue as I'm tasting this blend a little more than four hours later. As a jaunty nod to Heff I chose a billiard, a Butz Choquin that has been thouroughly used and occasionally abused. If screaming: "Klaatu Verata Necto" won't exercise the demons I won't cry too hard when I am left with a "flower" pipe for life.

/Pictures by ruralhipster - Photobucket

Tin Note: This one hits your nose with a strong anise and slight floral scent. I call it the Red Light Special as it might be the scent expected to arise from the depths of an Dutch prostitute's purse. There is supposed to be some vanilla present but it obviously brought a knife to a gunfight.

Flavor Profile: This has a mild burley base and the golden hue of the leaf would indicate such as most of the fuller nuttier burleys I've experienced are a rich medium to deep brown. The anise scent does not translate to much licorice flavor but the florals kick in with an occasional burst of soapy fragrant "majesty." Surprisingly mild for the most part it doesn't really overpower the tastebuds as much as I expected.

Room Note: Mildly pleasant, I was expecting the house to smell like old ladies dolling up for a night on the town, but instead it was more like a lone twelve year old girl getting ready for her first dance.

Lighting and Burning: A little wet it took a couple lights to get going but then proceeded to burn very well down to the bottom of the bowl, the ash was soft and white, dumped easily and didn't impart any ashy taste in the lower portions of the bowl.

Bite Level: Just a little hamster nip.

Overall Impressions: I was left with that slight euphoric nicotine feeling after this one, all was well in my world and my low expectations were exceeded. Not one for the daily rotation but like "lime sorbet" it can provide a refreshing change of pace once and awhile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-15-2010, 12:08 AM
Lakeland Grognard

Re: Mixture No.79

Great review and very funny!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruralhipster View Post
I was expecting the house to smell like old ladies dolling up for a night on the town, but instead it was more like a lone twelve year old girl getting ready for her first dance.

The world is a better place when the Buffalo Bills are winning.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-15-2010, 01:55 AM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Great review. Hef would be proud.

“The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

post #4 of 10 Old 12-15-2010, 10:43 AM
he that puffeth

Hah! Well written!

Ron aka RJ aka RJPuffs
--
Old age isn't too bad, when you consider the alternative.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Ask me why I dinged Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruralhipster View Post
Yes the infamous blend from Sutliff... ...this is one of the most polarizing tobaccos, perhaps only rivaled by 1792 in the love it or hate it department...
Very nice write up. I tried it once; made me wonder how there were 78 earlier blends Sutliff thought were worse. I look forward to your Paladin Black Cherry comments.

12 year old...
hamster nip...

"But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"
post #6 of 10 Old 12-15-2010, 03:28 PM
The slope is steep

Very nicely done Roy! :tu
post #7 of 10 Old 12-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
I tried it once; made me wonder how there were 78 earlier blends Sutliff thought were worse.
Now that's a classic comment! Thanks for the laugh.

“The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck
post #8 of 10 Old 12-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Heavy Puffer

Great review! Not even kidding, I had a dream last night I was smoking 79, I think I died at the end.....

“While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-
post #9 of 10 Old 12-15-2010, 06:01 PM
Ask me why I dinged Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigosmoke View Post
Now that's a classic comment! Thanks for the laugh.
No offense meant to the legions of M-79 lovers, no snobby thing here - good fun and all, ho ho ho. The stuff left a chemical taste in my mouth that I found off-putting. I suppose many others find it quite pleasant. shrug. Like the man said, "...only rivaled by 1792 in ...love ... hate..." I love 1792. WTH.

"But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"
post #10 of 10 Old 01-17-2011, 09:31 AM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
No offense meant to the legions of M-79 lovers, no snobby thing here - good fun and all, ho ho ho. The stuff left a chemical taste in my mouth that I found off-putting. I suppose many others find it quite pleasant. shrug. Like the man said, "...only rivaled by 1792 in ...love ... hate..." I love 1792. WTH.
Calling it M79 makes it sound lethal... :evil:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mixture, no79

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page