MacBaren Scottish Mixture - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 02-16-2011, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

MacBaren Scottish Mixture

I got this from Nate the other day. Figured it was time to give it a try. Very pleasant smell coming from the bag. I think it's some kind of light cherry topping.

It comes ready rubbed but kind of rough. Nice color and the moisture content is still nice even after being in the mail and the ziplock for a couple days.

The bigger cut makes it a little more difficult to load than most ready rubs. It lights quick and initial flavor is pretty interesting. I always try to taste the tobacco before I go looking at reviews so this was kind of startling to me. Why? Well, after I finished my Celtic Talisman this morning, for lunch I decided to load up some Half and Half for the rest of the work day. H&H is a decent drugstore blend that has helped with my flavor profile of burleys. So, I light up the MacB and would have sworn I was still smoking H&H if I hadn't just cleaned the pipe I used.

I don't want you to get the wrong idea. Mac's SM tastes like a higher quality H&H. Less chemical flavors in it. But it's definitely a burley blend. There's some kind of light topping in it that I think is cherry. It's not strong or unpleasant. The va is a good in the background and the cavendish is kind of lost though.

One interesting note, I'm taking very small sips and still getting large puffs of smoke from this stuff. It's burning a touch warm but not too bad. Of course, you can definitely tell it's a MacBitten blend! LOL I'd say the high side of medium bite to it. But slow it waaaay down and it tempers a little bit.

I'm now about halfway through the bowl and the flavor is starting to get a little whiney. You know the flavor...if you could taste your significant other's whines this is what it has to taste like! LOL If you've ever had a Kenyan AA coffee compared to a dark roasted Sumatran, you'll understand what I'm talking about.

So, Mac's SM is decent. A burley that I'm not opposed to. Probably not a go to smoke, but I wouldn't turn down a free bowl of it!

It was.....well, let's just say it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-16-2011, 11:48 PM
+

Re: MacBaren Scottish Mixture

Thanks, Dave for the...hmm, well...plethora! of reviews. :tu
I've only had one of Mac Baren's blends, Vanilla Cream, so I'll be placing most of these on my wish list for sure!

I gave in, and admitted that God was God.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-16-2011, 11:55 PM
Reformed Cig Addict

Re: MacBaren Scottish Mixture

Another great review by the master!

I would agree it does change through the bowl. To me, I get a lot of that black cavendish-ish-ness that just over powers everything in the beginning and I can't see through it. About halfway through I start to notice the VA and burley.

I can't wait for your review on BLB. I have some notes after smoking a whole tin and want to see if you agree.

"The worst thing you can ever do in life is set yourself goals" - Stephen Fry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
macbaren, mixture, scottish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page