The Dreaded Mixture 79 - Page 5 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 48 Old 04-22-2011, 05:48 PM
Sot-weed Bohemian

Re: The Dreaded Mixture 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb Zoober View Post

I think the pipe is very fitting to send along with a pass of this tobacco.
It looks flush with promise.

Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 48 Old 04-27-2011, 12:29 AM
Maturing Puffer Fish

OK -- I understand that no one here would recommend this baccy.

Seriously, though, have any of you smoked some of the GH "Lakelands"? How do they compared to Mix 79 (which I've never tried). I've heard a lot conflicting stuff about whether 79 is an American version of the Lakeland style or an entirely different beast altogether.
post #43 of 48 Old 04-27-2011, 01:17 AM
Full grown Puffer Fish

believe it or not "before altadis" took this over and three star series from iwan ries, sutliff i believe blended this and three star it wasn't all licoricey soapy as you guys are describing it. but compare any altadis blend including the h sutliff private series and to me they all have a little taste of the "finish" that all altadis blends have. the older pre- i'd say 2003 blend tasted more like great outdoors which is in the little private selection stuff you get for free from chicagoland site. so if you like great outdoors,thats what this tasted like 8 or so years ago. i ruined a sav alligator with this pipe tobacco and gave the pipe away because it almost turned me away from pipe smoking altogether.

post #44 of 48 Old 04-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorthoss View Post
OK -- I understand that no one here would recommend this baccy.

Seriously, though, have any of you smoked some of the GH "Lakelands"? How do they compared to Mix 79 (which I've never tried). I've heard a lot conflicting stuff about whether 79 is an American version of the Lakeland style or an entirely different beast altogether.
I've had both Ennerdale Flake and "the Mixture." Ennerdale ruined my very first Country Gentleman and the Mixture ruined a Dr. G. They were both experiences that I'm glad I had but will never have again.

With that introduction, if they were the only two pipe tobaccos left on earth, I think I'd rather put a cigarette out in my eye than continue smoking a pipe. But if that option, too was unavailable, I'd have to choose the Ennerdale. Mind you, this decision was incredibly difficult and I think I'm going to have to take some kind of anti-anxiety meds from really thinking about it. But the slight edge on Ennerdale was it didn't make my mouth and lips burn like the Mixture did.

It was.....well, let's just say it was.
post #45 of 48 Old 04-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Maturing Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by owaindav View Post
I've had both Ennerdale Flake and "the Mixture." Ennerdale ruined my very first Country Gentleman and the Mixture ruined a Dr. G. They were both experiences that I'm glad I had but will never have again.

With that introduction, if they were the only two pipe tobaccos left on earth, I think I'd rather put a cigarette out in my eye than continue smoking a pipe. But if that option, too was unavailable, I'd have to choose the Ennerdale. Mind you, this decision was incredibly difficult and I think I'm going to have to take some kind of anti-anxiety meds from really thinking about it. But the slight edge on Ennerdale was it didn't make my mouth and lips burn like the Mixture did.
It just goes to show how different our individual tastes are! I think Ennerdale is one of the best-tasting blends I've ever had (not quite as good as Odyssey, Filmore or Old Joe Krantz but very close). I greatly prefer the Lakeland aromatic style over the "American" aro style - give me flowers, herbs, etc. over maple syrup and Christmas cookies in my baccy any day of the week!

Thanks for the comparison -- I'm actually tempted to sample the dreaded "Mixture" now, although I doubt I'll like it as much as its English counterparts. One of the keys to the Lakelands' success is the high-quality virginia flakes they use, and as much as I like burley I doubt it would be able to gracefully carry those types of flavors.
post #46 of 48 Old 04-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

You also have to keep in mind that my experience culminated in a very strong allergic reaction and I couldn't breathe properly for the next day.

It was.....well, let's just say it was.
post #47 of 48 Old 04-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Maturing Puffer Fish

Quote:
You also have to keep in mind that my experience culminated in a very strong allergic reaction and I couldn't breathe properly for the next day.
Yeah, I think I'd pretty well hate anything I had kind of reaction to, as well!
post #48 of 48 Old 04-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Sot-weed Bohemian

Quote:
I really like Ennerdale, too, so I've got to pile on.

Because you are allergic to the Lakeland weirdness does not make the Lakeland weirdness bad in the same way that M79 is bad. Ennerdale is fine tobacco, burns to a perfect white ash and produces a delicious smoke for those who don't go into anaphylactic shock from it. I'm not sure that can be said for M79. Even if not inferior to other similarly awful aromatics, as some suggest, it's still more of the same.

Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dreaded, mixture

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page