S.G. Commonwealth Mixture - Page 2 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 Old 05-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Given the chance

Re: S.G. Commonwealth Mixture

A good smoke but definitely nothing to write home about. Bought a tin a few months ago and doubt I'll be buying anymore. Dave summed it up pretty well; This is a no nonsense, no frills english.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 05-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Good review. This has a special place for me as both my first tin and my first english. It was very early in my smoking experience, and I tried it off and on again for about 6 weeks, liking it more each time. Dave summed it up, capital L latakia, gave me a nice point of reference for the softer englishes and orientals I would find later.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Maturing Puffer Fish

Im going to chime in here because this is something that just came up for me. I tried this stuff like 3 years ago and really thought it was a good blend but I wasnt blown away by and moved on to other things that I wanted to try. Well I stuck the opened tin in one of my sealed tobacco jars in my cellar and forgot about it. Well about a month ago I found it after forgetting I had it for 3+ years!! It was dried out but not like dust, I guess because it was in that sealed jar. So I decided to smoke a bowl of it to see if it was still any good and I have to say it was by far one of the best bowls I have ever had, no lie!

I am an english smoker and smoke almost mainly flakes now but this bowl was so good next day I ordered 3 lbs of the stuff bulk and jarred it up when I got it to put away for a few years.

the smoke was rich and sweet and had a very strong almost incense quality to it. It was amazing!!

so if you have any open tins of this stuff laying around you might want to let it just keep on aging because man it sings after a couple years.

Happy smoking!

post #14 of 14 Old 07-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Ask me why I dinged Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt View Post
Im going to chime in here because this is something that just came up for me. I tried this stuff like 3 years ago and really thought it was a good blend but I wasnt blown away...
... but years later it seemed extraordinary. I had the same experience, and not because it improved greatly with age I would guess. I tried some the other day and decided it was a good thing I didn't try it five or six years ago - I wouldn't have gotten it. This is going to sound a little over the top but, I believe this is a tobacco (which is WELL worth smoking) that benefits from context.

While it's not at all a tongue-burner it isn't the best rookie blend, either. This is one english blend I'm glad I did not try when first starting out; and I am doubly glad I did try it after accumulating a background in how a range of english blends can present themselves in different pipes.

I found Commonwealth fascinating in a way that would have evaded me until I had first understood:

1) a "hit you over the head with a cricket bat" blend (Mississippi Mud)
2) a light, nuanced blend (Squadron Leader)
3) a sweet oriental that needs finessing (Early Morning Pipe/Red Rapparee) and
4) a marginal latakia punctuated with turkish tobacco (Skiff).

Commonwealth is the place to go to understand the difference between Cyprus and Syrian latakia as discussed at length by GL Pease. The volume of seasoned Cyprus leaf in this blend demonstrates its softness and sweetness with nary a sharp edge.

"But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
commonwealth, mixture

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page