Do You Hike or Backpack? - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-31-2018, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Leading Puffer Fish

Do You Hike or Backpack?

Any backpackers on the forum? Iíve hiked all my life, all over the country but I have never backpacked, just long day hikes (up to 20 miles)

Iíve been wanting to go on a nice backpacking trip for a while. To me, whatever is worth doing is worth overdoing so earlier this year, I committed to hiking a 75 mile section of the Pacific Crest Trail (16,000+ ft elevation). The trip is at the end of August and Iíve been training very hard for months.

While Iíve trained a lot, have done a ton of research, and am generally an experienced hiker, I am total noob in backpacking so words of wisdom would be appreciated. I am stocked about the trip and am looking forward to some good cigars at the end of each day.

Do you hike or backpack? Have cool stories or pictures to share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-31-2018, 06:09 PM
Got bumps on my ash!

Cool endeavour John! I used to do some moderate hiking back before my injury when I was a photographer. Professionally I was a portrait photog, but as a hobby I loved to do nature and landscapes. My favorites were waterfalls and I've hike some expert lvl trails and rock ledges to get to them, but I've never done anything like you've described; all of mine were day trips.
I really hope you have a great time when you head out; it sounds like an awesome adventure.

"I probably could have been a rocket surgeon or brain scientists." Rondo 2019
post #3 of 12 Old 07-31-2018, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Leading Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherNeck View Post
Cool endeavour John! I used to do some moderate hiking back before my injury when I was a photographer. Professionally I was a portrait photog, but as a hobby I loved to do nature and landscapes. My favorites were waterfalls and I've hike some expert lvl trails and rock ledges to get to them, but I've never done anything like you've described; all of mine were day trips.

I really hope you have a great time when you head out; it sounds like an awesome adventure.

Thanks brother, I am definitely looking forward to it and will post some pictures

LeatherNeck likes this.

I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-31-2018, 06:58 PM
Full grown Puffer Fish

Location: Massachusetts and Grand Cayman Island depending on the weather

Back in the day I did section hiking of the AT with a couple of college buddies (who were the first guys I ever smoked cigars with). We got old(er) and for the past 25 years have limited our hiking to a week of day hikes in Baxter Park, ME. We do one or two peaks a day, try to fit in Katahdin every couple of years. We camp out for the week, and every year it seems like we spend more time in camp smoking cigars and drinking, and less on the mountains.

Best advice I have for backpacking is 1) good, broken-in shoes with good ankle support, 2) a comfortable pack, and 3) pack as light as possible. Oh, and take a few more cigars than you think you will need.

We took Parodis with us as they require no humidification, are pretty tasty, and for sentimental value as they were the first cigars we ever smoked (we all started smoking together).

Good luck and enjoy your hike!
Jankjr and Bigjohn like this.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-31-2018, 11:07 PM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Primarily day hiking for me in the 5-15 mile range with a max of 4K climbing. I have done some backpacking trips in the past and was just talking about doing an overnighter out and back with a few friends. The biggest backpacking trip I’ve done was 3 days, 2 nights, 40 miles. Was fairly brutal as we did it in the fall just after the time change so we were hiking all day the 3 days and setting up camp in the dark. I’d like to repeat that trip with longer days to be a little more enjoyable.

Most of my backpacking was hiking out 10 miles in the Sierras to set up a base camp and doing day hikes to remote high elevation lakes. Been a while since I’ve done of those trips as that group of friends have moved away or have become stagnant.

Had several late night Bear visits to camp, but usually no drama as we kept food in Bear Vaults 100 yards down wind of camp. On one trip, we did have a new guy who snuck a candy bar in his tent and had a Bear pawing at his tent in the middle of the night. Took a gunshot to scare him off and non of us slept the whole rest of the night.

Didn’t smoke cigars in those days. We would pack Nalgene bottles full of wine and Jack Daniels for the long nights. I really enjoyed climbing in my tent at night and reading. Bill Bryson’s “A Walk in the Woods” is a great book to read on a trip. Non stop laughs.
blackrabbit and Bigjohn like this.

Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...
post #6 of 12 Old 08-01-2018, 01:21 AM

I've been doing backpacking trips since being a boyscout - Philmont was ~50 miles in 7th grade. You'll figure out what works for you on this trip as everyone does. Elevation sickness can be a bitch and the only way around it is to get up there. Footware is important - light, waterproof, and sturdy enough soles to avoid rock bruises. Bring moleskin etc. and get the fancy socks. Insulation under you when sleeping is as/more important than the bag, but go well below on the bag temp rating - that is what you can survive not what you can sleep comfortably at. Have dry garments to change into for sleeping. Understanding "cold air drainage" can make you much more comfortable at night. Bring twice as many trail snacks as you think you need and take time to eat. Half of a 375 ml bottle/ night is about a good balance for me for weight/enjoyment on booze, preferably >100 proof.

It has been about a dozen years since I was out that way - one of my last research trips was in Glacier Peak Wilderness and we ran into some PCT through hikers there. Interesting adventure as we only had to go in ~15 miles but it was a beast of a pack with a weeks worth of gear and tucked in the center I had a 25# sperm shipper full of liquid N for transporting RNA samples of fungi from soils. They have to vent so if the pack tipped too much on a stream crossing or scramble it could spill and drench your back.

View of Glacier Peak (looks like clouds in the background) just after a cigar and splitting a 375 of tequila with my Finnish buddy. One of my most memorable smoke experiences but I forget the actual stick. The red stuff is Vaccinium deliciosum, choice little blueberries. Don't trust the animals - even a chipmunk will destroy some gear in a hurry looking for your stash. A marmot stole our whole trip's worth of oreos we set out while we chilled.

Camp was by the lake - the notch is the pass we hiked in over.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-01-2018, 02:07 AM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Iíve gone through the ďthorough fairĒ in WYOMING....that may count for something...just some grizzlies and not seeing any one for about 30 days....Iím ready to go back there! So love that feeling, also ben through the Bob Marshall wilderness in Montana

Sent from the poor-shack!
Bigjohn likes this.

This is NOT a message board where you come to leave your matzah balls hanging out and then walk around with an entitled attitude. Cigary 2018
post #8 of 12 Old 08-01-2018, 02:42 AM

Some great info in @huffer33 post. I wasn't really thinking about giving tips.

Forgotten about hotspots and blisters on the feet. Moleskin is a life saver.

Biggest mistake people make in sleeping bags is putting on more layers when you get cold. You should have a bag that fits your body without excess room and you should be sleeping naked or just skivies. You want your body to heat the bag. Putting on layers of clothing only blocks your body heat from warming the bag and utilizing the loft of the filling to keep you warm.

Air flow in the tent is critical to minimize condensation forming inside. Your tent should have roof ventilation to mimize moisture forming.

Stretch after each days hike before settling in. Expect to be sore every morning when you start your hike, but you will warm up and get past that.

Also, as huffer mentioned, even squirrels can be destructive to gear. I've had a raccoon destroy my tent because I left toothpaste in there while hiking for the day.

Sounds like your in great shape and you've been training, so you'll do just fine. Hopefully you've been training with weight. Unless your a minimalist, expect to be carrying ~50lbs on multi day trips. I would suggest doing a couple mini overnight trips to figure out what gear you can live without and what you wish you had. Multipurpose gear saves space and weight.

Take lots of pics and share when you return.
Bigjohn and GOT14U like this.

Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...
post #9 of 12 Old 08-01-2018, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Leading Puffer Fish

Great tips gang, thank you! I will have a 40lb pack on the hike. I have it packed with 50lb now for training. I wear it at the office and take an hour long hike for lunch with it every day. Longer test hikes when time permits. Gym 5 days a week with 280 floors on a stairmaster every other day

post #10 of 12 Old 12-16-2018, 12:39 AM
No longer a community member.

As my side gig is fine art photography focusing on landscapes/natural images, I wound up getting into the hiking/backpacking world as a matter of necessity, and thoroughly enjoy every moment of it. Most of my hikes are just day-hikes, but when I have the time, and the weather is cooperative, I'll go on weekend long excursions. I'm a bit of a gear whore, so I have several different size hiking/photography packs made by an awesome company called F-Stop Gear located in St. Louis. Completely modular, and the most well thought out bags I've ever come across. I'll typically pack my full camera/lens setup, a ThermaRest Pro Lite hiking mattress, a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 tent, one of a variety of sleeping bags, Jet Boil and some dehydrated food, a couple of 3L water bladders, and my trusty Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork trekking poles (favorite purchase ever for hiking.) It makes for a heavy pack, but most of the weight ends up coming from my camera and the three lenses I typically hike with.
Bigjohn and huffer33 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page