Scary cigar break last night. - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 10-22-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Puffer Fish with some spikes

Scary cigar break last night.

So last night I had the place to myself for a couple hours & figured it was the perfect time to smoke a stogie.

Typically chilly night like it's mostly been around here for the past week and a half except there was no moon so it was dark. Anyways I spark up the cigar, I was smoking it for less than 5 minutes when I hear yipping, sounded like a drunk man being goofy and loud, it was around midnight & thought it was one of my neighbors since they party every once in a new moon apparently. Then another yip joined in and it was clear as day that they were howling then another and another and another until it was a cacophony of howling. If I had to guess I would say I heard at least 8-9. I thought "cool, I've never heard that before & that's one of the perks of being in the country", didn't think anything else of it.

Another 10 minutes goes by, I hear crackling in the leaves near my house, chocked it up to a branch falling, squirrel having a bad dream lol.. whatever, I grabbed my shotgun anyways.. I'm glad I did because there were more creaks and cracks right afterward and growling, those effers sounded big, more like big dogs than coyotes that I've seen they growled 3-4 times. I hollered, stomped on the deck, smacked the railing, they kept it up.. holy shit, they're stalking me. I wanted one to come on to my deck to get a look at it (maybe get a trophy if it came after me). After the last growl I lost my nerve, went in turned the flood lights on.. a bit more crackling in the tree line and no more growling. My adrenaline was pumping.

Random I know but cigar related. Any of you guys have any experience with coyotes/wolves/wild dogs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 10-22-2017, 08:34 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Almost every night here. They hang about 100 yards from my house. Never have hit mine or any of the neighbors yards, that i know of. The sounds they make can make your hair stand up a bit if your not used to it.

They usually seem to scatter if approached.... ..guess they donít like humans much lol.

Glad nothing crazy happened and your safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Piper likes this.

ANYTIME IS STOGIE TIME!
post #3 of 26 Old 10-22-2017, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Puffer Fish with some spikes

I took a picture with the intention to post last night but forgot after that craziness. It's an HdM Coronation

@Kidvegas Yeah man! Scary stuff for sure, glad to know I'm not the only one on here that's heard them near at night.
Scary cigar break last night.-img_2225.jpg
Piper, UBC03 and Kidvegas like this.

post #4 of 26 Old 10-22-2017, 08:41 PM
CAT WRANGLER

I hear em every night.. Last summer I was in the yard with the neighbor and they started. They sounded real close so my neighbor grabbed his spotlight. Probably a dozen or so coyotes around the cul de sac. Just hanging out in the wood line. Creepy as hell.
Every night that we had a fire, you could hear em killing the stray cats that took over the neighborhood. It got to the point Rhon didn't want to sit outside because the cats screaming made her sick.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #5 of 26 Old 10-22-2017, 09:15 PM
Retired Chaos Designer

I hear em in the distance from time to time. When I bought this place in 2000 they would come in close almost every night, I loaded up some 00 and laid out on top of the shed every night for a week but never could get a decent shot, finally just popped off a couple rounds as they ran by, they changed their route.
Piper, UBC03, JohnBrody15 and 2 others like this.

If I see a stick that made a noob nic sick,I put it on my list as a must try. (UBC03)
post #6 of 26 Old 10-22-2017, 09:18 PM
One of the a-holes

Same here.
My land borders 12,000 acres of state land.
When the coyote bitches are in heat they sound like an 8year old crying.
Bobcat, bear, moose, otter, fisher and loads of other critters constantly pass thru.
They were here before me so I just wave hello like a good neighbor.
Jankjr, Piper, UBC03 and 3 others like this.

Blue Lives Matter
post #7 of 26 Old 10-22-2017, 09:35 PM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

I've seen wolf tracks camping in Glacier and a few solitary wolves in along the road or at a distance in northern AK.

Around here the 'yotes will get to yipping but we don't have much pressure from them. Bobcats, now they sound unnerving as hell moving through the yard. The back and forth calls of screech owls is my favorite. They have just the right level of spookiness. It is pretty ethereal - not the typical hoot hoot stuff.
post #8 of 26 Old 10-22-2017, 09:45 PM
H.R. Pufnstuf

@BillH...cigar and target practice...what's not to like?

....that's almost like flying on a plane with one wing. ~Cigary
post #9 of 26 Old 10-22-2017, 09:53 PM
Maturing Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickorynut View Post
@BillH...cigar and target practice...what's not to like?

Name:  IMG_4426.JPG
Views: 333
Size:  19.4 KB

My thoughts exactly
Piper, pwaggs, msmith1986 and 1 others like this.
post #10 of 26 Old 10-22-2017, 11:28 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Bill, I'll bet you're glad you had the shotgun handy.
huffer33 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page