Dominican Republic...Anyone been?? - Page 2 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 03-01-2011, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Puffer Fish with some spikes

Re: Dominican Republic...Anyone been??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonCigar View Post
I went to La Ramana.. Casa de Campo in January. (5 star resort). The Altadis factory is there .. largest in the world. 4700 workers, 70K cigars per day! amazing!
Only about 1.5 hours from Punta Cana...Might check it out, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 03-01-2011, 12:53 PM
The One and Only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketheadd9 View Post
Chris,

You are in luck. I was there for a short stay for New Year's. We stayed at NH Real arena nice hotel about 15 min from the airport. Our hotel had a free bus service that went to the Palma Real shopping center 5 min away. They have a cig store there CIG's Aficionados. They hand roll cigars there along with a selection of famous brands cubans and NC. All the other stores there were way overpriced. There was people on the beach selling things and trying to get you into there shops they also have cigars. The one we went to was Pirates cove 5min walk down the beach from our hotel. Everything there was negotiable and don't be afraid to lowball them they will usually take your offer.
We did one tour through the hotel the company was Bavaro runners there website is Welcome to Bavaro Runners Online Did the full day tour.
They took us to see how the locals live and to a sugar cane farm/tobacco farm where they roll cigars and gave us a sample and had lots for sale. And rum is made. They tell about the tours on their site.

Also have $10 us ready per person when you land some type of immigration fee.
Don't forget to try Mammajuana it is a drink.

Any other question I will try and answer.

We were only there for 4 days need to go back for a longer trip and explore more.
Be real nice to the bartenders and I'm sure they'll share their personal stash of this with you. Some places make it in bulk and they aren't that strong. With our bartender, he gave us a half a shot of his and that got me and my wife feeling real good. Either way, make sure you try it!! lol

Also take alot of singles. The dollar over there is worth so much to the locals. When we went, we tipped the driver a 10 for getting us to the hotel safely..lol. and we tipped our favorite bartender at the end of the week with a 20. We told our bestfriends the same thing and when they got back, they said they were glad we told them that cause they were happy with 1-2.00 tips.

Like John mentioned, you can negotiate with the vendors. Some are legit and some are there to try and hustle you. You gotta play their game.
post #13 of 21 Old 03-01-2011, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

I love the art of negotiating so that is no problem at all...I have always been a great tipper on the first day...Then again before leaving...This way the service is great throughout the vacation

post #14 of 21 Old 03-01-2011, 10:26 PM
The One and Only!

reading this thread again made me want to look through my honeymoon pics..lol. Here are some pics to get you ready for DR. And the girls are very friendly there.

The one pic of the hut looking place is the airport. Thats where you'll arrive. You'll have to walk off the plane and into the airport. Thats where you pay the 10.00 a person to get into the country.

Another tip is to not wear jewelry there. If you can get transportation included with your trip, then do it. WHen you get there, the taxi drivers will hound you for a ride. And if you do, they'll charge you an arm and a leg.

Good thing is that if you're a bit of a drive and no one is in the taxi with you, they will most likely stop at a store so you can get some beers if you want.

take bug spray with you and some tums or pepto. Just to give you an example of how expensive they can get, a BIC lighter was about $8.00 (depending where you go).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	07310018.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	33926  

Name:	DSCF0274.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	33927  

Name:	DSCF0310.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	33928  

Name:	DSCF0441.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	33929  

Name:	DSCF0549.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	33930  

Name:	DSCF0640.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	33931  

post #15 of 21 Old 03-01-2011, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Alright Wilson quit with the pics...You are going to drive me nuts til I leave!! Pics look amazing and thanks for the advice
post #16 of 21 Old 03-03-2011, 07:38 AM
Temp Ban for Rules Violation

Heading there on May 15th. Staying at the Majestic Colonial resort. I have read that the cigars will cost you more there than here at home if you can find real ones. I read that the cigars are produced for export and in turn have to be imported back onto the island to be sold. Was disappointing to read, but I will just bring my own stash.
post #17 of 21 Old 03-03-2011, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Check out

Cigar Lounge Punta Cana, by Lucas De Meester. Don Lucas Cigars
post #18 of 21 Old 03-07-2011, 03:09 AM
Ole Crusty Spiked Fish

If you tour the Leon Jimenes factory you can buy their cigars at the location but they are pretty much sold at American retail price. At least they were when I was there.

Agnes, have you seen my Don Diegos?
post #19 of 21 Old 08-05-2011, 05:58 PM
No longer a community member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foster0724 View Post
Heading there on May 15th. Staying at the Majestic Colonial resort. I have read that the cigars will cost you more there than here at home if you can find real ones. I read that the cigars are produced for export and in turn have to be imported back onto the island to be sold. Was disappointing to read, but I will just bring my own stash.
Shane

I just booked majestic colonial for Jan '12. Need to get away for the winter, as the north east gets a little too chilly. Do you have any input on your trip? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!
post #20 of 21 Old 08-08-2011, 04:53 AM
Ole Crusty Spiked Fish

If you would like to tour specific factories I would do my best to set this up before you get there. Try calling them directly or utilize your local b&m to get in touch with reps that may be willing to help you with scheduling. I went to the DR with a tour planned through a local b&m and back then they had the contacts and were able to hook us up.

Definitely take your own smokes. Almost every storefront was selling copies of DR smokes and that didn't fly for me then and it wouldn't now.

Agnes, have you seen my Don Diegos?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dominican, republicanyone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page